Terrorism

aftermidnight

My wife was a little worried about a recent trip to London, but we went anyway with our two daughters. No incidents and a great time had by all. We flew home, said goodbye to our oldest daughter who flew on to her home in Orlando. The same evening she landed was the night of the Orlando attack.

So you never know where is safe. But I am sure all these attacks are not good for the travel industry. I think each individual has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable doing and where they want to go.

I am certain that everyone here, to varying degrees, is concerned about terrorism.

In the crazy, mad, unpredictable world we live in, one would be extremely foolish not to be.

There are degrees of threat of course; I've spoken to someone currently on holiday in south-west Turkey who told me that everything at her resort was as normal, if it wasn't for the tv news and internet, she wouldn't have known what or anything was going on.

Would the recent incidents stop me travelling to Paris or Belgium? Or Nice? No. Am I safer at home? Am I truly?

What am I supposed to do? Never go anywhere, ever again?

I'm visiting New York twice later this year.

Will I cancel going? No. Will I be very aware as I walk about the city? You bet I will be; constantly alert.

We live in a sick world; nowhere appears to be totally safe.

I agree terrorism is sick and that it is the new that threat that we all have to live with and sadly get used to.

However, I suspect that statistically you are still more at risk driving your car on the road than you are travelling and that includes Turkey. We are however maybe going to have to give a bit more thought to where we are, what we do and how we might react if a situation should arise.

If we stop travelling - staying at home because we are too scared to travel - they have won!!!

Cruising is perceived to be one of the safest forms of travelling although when I see some of the new behemoths with 7/8000 souls aboard it does make me thing what a stunning target they would make. The cruise companies must be aware of what a soft target a cruise ship is and are I'm sure taking all reasonable precautions.

Roll on our forthcoming QV cruise - I wouldn't cancel it for the world !!!!!

I do not worry about terrorism. Nor do I worry about asteroid strikes, being hit by ligntning, picking up Ebola or getting kidnapped.

All are possibilities, all are unlikely in the extreme to affect me anywhere that a cruise ship is going to venture. Indeed, they are also unlikely to be a problem anywhere that I would venture. And if I get hit by lightning, well I've had a good life and I went out with a bang.

In this day and age I think everybody is concerned about terrorism. It can strike anywhere at any time, so doesn't stop me travelling.

However, to get caught up in one if these atrocities us very unlikely. For people so worried about it, then the best thing is to stay at home, but how do you know you are safe there.

Aftermidnight ,you could be hit by a bus on the the way home tomorrow, there will always be things that you can not control. But as a Brit who has lived with terrorism for years, the British/IRA conflict, you would end up living in a bubble if you let it ruin your life.

I would think that you should be more worried about gun crime in the USA, sorry it is not mean't as an insult.

I sailed out of Istanbul on the QV last summer and I was amazed at how lovely the Turkish people were to my partner and I. I am not kidding everyone that we met was so courteous and genuinely hospitable to us, that we both commented.

Terrorism comes in all shapes and sizes, it doesn't have to be in a foreign land by a non native, it is a drive by shooting or a local madman driving a lorry.

Travel broadens the mind, it enriches your soul, experience the whole world,not just your neighbouring state or county.

I will be in Athens next week starting my QV holiday and I am anything but worried,I am excited.

My parting words from my first post is that if you never left your home for fear or any other reason, you would never experience the wonder and joy of being a Cunarder.

Anyone else concerned about terrorism. I'm well aware that it happened in the U.S. ( I was in NY and witnessed it). We have stops in Belgium, UK & France. Will be there in Oct. any thoughts?

Twelve QM2 voyages. Twelve bottles of Pol Acker. I lived to tell the tale. But when my number is up, it's up. Until then...

Best wishes,

Salacia

New Yorker

Twelve QM2 voyages. Twelve bottles of Pol Acker. I lived to tell the tale. But when my number is up, it's up. Until then...

Best wishes,

Salacia

New Yorker

If they do get you before the next bottle of Pol Acker, it might be a blessing ;)

For people so worried about it, then the best thing is to stay at home, but how do you know you are safe there.

You're not!

Chance of drowning in a bathtub - 1 in 800,000

Chance of being attacked by terrorists - 1 in 20 million

You're not!

Chance of drowning in a bathtub - 1 in 800,000

Chance of being attacked by terrorists - 1 in 20 million

Hate to think of being on a cruise ship with 3000 people too scared to take a bath !!!

I do not worry about terrorism. Nor do I worry about asteroid strikes, being hit by ligntning, picking up Ebola or getting kidnapped.

All are possibilities, all are unlikely in the extreme to affect me anywhere that a cruise ship is going to venture. Indeed, they are also unlikely to be a problem anywhere that I would venture. And if I get hit by lightning, well I've had a good life and I went out with a bang.

Exactly...

Of course I worry about the threat of a terrorist attack, but as has been said on this thread, if you stay at home the b****rds have won. We've just booked a land based holiday to Israel and anticipate having a wonderful time. Yes we will be vigilant but when your time is up there is not a lot you can do about it.

In the meantime DH and I intend to enjoy our holiday and look forward to our upcoming voyage on the QM2 complete with 4 nights in New York.

• 2 weeks later...

As others have said: a) statistically, the risk is very small - much more dangerous to drive to the port/airport; b) if you let terrorists run your life, they've won; c) people in the UK (at least of my generation) have had this all before from Irish terrorists.

Anyone else concerned about terrorism. I'm well aware that it happened in the U.S. ( I was in NY and witnessed it). We have stops in Belgium, UK & France. Will be there in Oct. any thoughts?

It is known (unofficially) that CUNARD have some serious 'professionals' on board to neutralise any persons who may wish to pose a serious threat to the Cruise.

Sometimes, one would wish these people were used to enforce the dress code, especially in the Theatre, which the standards are starting to slip. Currently, the only enforcement us a "good evening and welcome".

Realistically, terrorism has already "won", assuming that the object was to keep tourists away. There are so many world locations where it is difficult to visit and impossible to cruise to and many cruises are diminished in attraction when inferior ports are substituted.

David.

Both France and Belgium have the highest and second highest alert for months and you see well-armed police and soldiers as well as customs and private security people every day, although there cannot be absolute security.

All the best!

I am certain that everyone here, to varying degrees, is concerned about terrorism.

In the crazy, mad, unpredictable world we live in, one would be extremely foolish not to be.

There are degrees of threat of course; I've spoken to someone currently on holiday in south-west Turkey who told me that everything at her resort was as normal, if it wasn't for the tv news and internet, she wouldn't have known what or anything was going on.

Would the recent incidents stop me travelling to Paris or Belgium? Or Nice? No. Am I safer at home? Am I truly?

What am I supposed to do? Never go anywhere, ever again?

I'm visiting New York twice later this year.

Will I cancel going? No. Will I be very aware as I walk about the city? You bet I will be; constantly alert.

We live in a sick world; nowhere appears to be totally safe.

You couldn't have summarized my feelings---from the other side of the pond--better, Pepper.

I was just on a cruise that stopped on Saturday in Le Havre, France just down the road from Rouen. Security at the port was nonexistent till one actually boarded the ship (it was a Princess cruise). Anyone could have driven right up to the ship. Amazing given the so called state of emergency.

resistk

There will have been plenty of vigilance and scrutiny that you can't see. We cross the Channel on a fairly regular basis and although not immediately visible there is an awful lot more security than a year or so. We don't need to see a police presence, we see it in the type of CCTV cameras that now use.

resistk

There will have been plenty of vigilance and scrutiny that you can't see. We cross the Channel on a fairly regular basis and although not immediately visible there is an awful lot more security than a year or so. We don't need to see a police presence, we see it in the type of CCTV cameras that now use.

I'm generally not a fear-monger type, and I DO believe there is often more security than is visible ... But I'm not sure what the cameras will accomplish during an attack other than to record it.