Cruise Insurance with Pre-existing medical condition

Hello

This question if predominately for Australian Cruisers as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where off Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one except 1 insurance company would cover and they wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

Thanks

Hello

This question if predominately for Australian Cruisers as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where off Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one except 1 insurance company would cover and they wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

Thanks

That seems crazy high, check with your other insurers

Health

Auto club etc

We find HCF and NRMA great.

That seems crazy high, check with your other insurers

Health

Auto club etc

We find HCF and NRMA great.

I tried about 10 insurance companies, none will cover my pre-existing except travel clear I think it was. It gets down to a couple of questions at the end of the on-line questionaire, & they all say no.

Did you try Insure and Go?

Yep, tried them, also my medical insurer Bupa, and the RAC. They all, except Travelclear said no, and they only said yes after my response to their question that more or less asked "So how long have you got after the end of your cruise" question.

I guess I am asking if anyone has ever used a broker for this type of problem.

I've got enough pre existing to sink a ship but have found HCF and TID to be very good.

Alas, just tried TID, who referred me to Sure Save who said, you guessed it.

No, we can't cover you.

Are you able to get insurance that excludes your existing condition or has the cruise line insisted that you have cover for this (which is what I think you posted)? No one will cover psychiatric illness but a friend was able to get insurance, only anything that was linked to his mental illness was excluded. As it was a short and cheap cruise it was worth it.

Are you able to get insurance that excludes your existing condition or has the cruise line insisted that you have cover for this (which is what I think you posted)? No one will cover psychiatric illness but a friend was able to get insurance, only anything that was linked to his mental illness was excluded. As it was a short and cheap cruise it was worth it.

No, unfortuately not, its CMV on the Astor and the small print says insurance must cover pre-existing and it must be international insurance even though it just goes off the coast in a little loop and comes back. Didn't have this problem with Royal Caribbean, but the fact that my friends are all busy cruising in the next 9 months or so means I'd have to pay the single suppliment and RC's cruises that go to/from Perth are all reasonably long. I hate flying and would prefer to only have to fly one way.

Its not the end of the world if I don't go, but I was just looking forward to a nice little mini break.

Sounds like you have one of those tricky pre existings.

I have cover for 3 of my 4 pre existing conditions through my westpac credit card. My 4th pre existing is breast cancer and no one will cover for it. I go with the plan that if my cancer which showed its ugly self 5 years ago happens to resurface then I won't be going anywhere and will just wear the loss. It is not likely to cause any issues while I am away if I continue to stay in remission. If I do have a problem when away I will just be getting on the next plane home to my oncologist.

My other pre exisitings are far more likely to cause a real problem, one of which is a blood clotting condition and I have always been able to get cover, at a cost of course.

Edited by Tara Jane

No, unfortuately not, its CMV on the Astor and the small print says insurance must cover pre-existing and it must be international insurance even though it just goes off the coast in a little loop and comes back. Didn't have this problem with Royal Caribbean, but the fact that my friends are all busy cruising in the next 9 months or so means I'd have to pay the single suppliment and RC's cruises that go to/from Perth are all reasonably long. I hate flying and would prefer to only have to fly one way.

Its not the end of the world if I don't go, but I was just looking forward to a nice little mini break.

I wonder if its anything to do with the ship. Princess ships have full medical facilities , not sure of the set up on Astor .

I have never never ever been asked to provide any evidence or indeed if I have travel insurance by any cruise line - has anyone else?

This question should be put on the Astor board to see the experience of past travellers on that ship,

Personally I think it is none of their business as to what insurance you have.

I have never never ever been asked to provide any evidence or indeed if I have travel insurance by any cruise line - has anyone else?

This question should be put on the Astor board to see the experience of past travellers on that ship,

Its not just Astor....

You cant board a P&O UK cruise ship unless you have Insurance. You either accept theirs or quote the policy number of your own cover.

If anything happens to you and you dont have Insurance ,why should the cruise line be expected to carry the can?

We had to provide evidence from our doctors that we were fit to travel and evidence of insurance cover for our Antarctica cruise, but that is understandable.

Have you spoken to the cruiseline to see if they will accept a letter from your doctor that you are fit to travel, for such a short cruise?

seniorsholidaytravel.com.au, which advertise their extensive travel insurance for seniors, may be worth a try.

Its not just Astor....

You cant board a P&O UK cruise ship unless you have Insurance. You either accept theirs or quote the policy number of your own cover.

If anything happens to you and you dont have Insurance ,why should the cruise line be expected to carry the can?

We had trip on P&O Oceana in August 2015 and were not asked about travel insurance prior to and when boarding the ship in Venice

I did not suggest or imply the cruise line carry the can - they should not and do not - no insurance - you pay

Edited by Bpos

We had trip on P&O Oceana in August 2015 and were not asked about travel insurance prior to and when boarding the ship in Venice

I did not suggest or imply the cruise line carry the can - they should not and do not - no insurance - you pay

It would have been covered in your booking form under the T&C's

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/insurance

Q. Will I need travel insurance?

Yes, it is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country. Your insurance must include cover for all pre-existing medical conditions and must cover emergency evacuations from the ship, shore hospital medical costs, and repatriation costs. It should have a limit of not less than £2 million. You should ensure that you have adequate travel insurance at time of booking.

What happens if I do not have travel insurance?

You will not be able to travel without travel insurance. Please ensure you can obtain travel insurance before you book your holiday. It is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country.

Yep, tried them, also my medical insurer Bupa, and the RAC. They all, except Travelclear said no, and they only said yes after my response to their question that more or less asked "So how long have you got after the end of your cruise" question.

I guess I am asking if anyone has ever used a broker for this type of problem.

Have you tried Sure Safe

It would have been covered in your booking form under the T&C's

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/insurance

Q. Will I need travel insurance?

Yes, it is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country. Your insurance must include cover for all pre-existing medical conditions and must cover emergency evacuations from the ship, shore hospital medical costs, and repatriation costs. It should have a limit of not less than £2 million. You should ensure that you have adequate travel insurance at time of booking.

What happens if I do not have travel insurance?

You will not be able to travel without travel insurance. Please ensure you can obtain travel insurance before you book your holiday. It is a condition of the contract that you obtain travel insurance to cover the risk of you needing medical care on board or in a foreign country.

Thanks, perhaps I should read T&C more often - cannot get insurance for heart condition but not staying home and waiting to die - will just keep on cruising as long as I can - and if travelling P&O will proceed as in the past

Thanks, perhaps I should read T&C more often - cannot get insurance for heart condition but not staying home and waiting to die - will just keep on cruising as long as I can - and if travelling P&O will proceed as in the past

Aus Post will cover heart condition if stable and it can be done over the phone for an extra cost

I'm with Insure and Go and they cover my heart condition as well as my Diabetes.

Sounds like you have one of those tricky pre existings.

I have cover for 3 of my 4 pre existing conditions through my westpac credit card. My 4th pre existing is breast cancer and no one will cover for it. I go with the plan that if my cancer which showed its ugly self 5 years ago happens to resurface then I won't be going anywhere and will just wear the loss. It is not likely to cause any issues while I am away if I continue to stay in remission. If I do have a problem when away I will just be getting on the next plane home to my oncologist.

My other pre exisitings are far more likely to cause a real problem, one of which is a blood clotting condition and I have always been able to get cover, at a cost of course.

Ditto Tara Jane, I did find some insurance companies for a trip a few years ago that covered BC after lots of questions about how long ago was your last treatment, more than 5 years, etc.

Unfortuately some sneakly little cells hid away in my body somewhere for close to 15 years.

Travel clear is the only on that will cover after asking 'how long have you got' type questions.

I wonder if its anything to do with the ship. Princess ships have full medical facilities , not sure of the set up on Astor .

They do have a Dr, and CMV do ask for international insurance even though its just a cruise that doesn't really go anywhere.