Train from Florence to Rome

Meena

We will be staying in Florence and want to take the train to Rome for a day; however, never having done this, I do have a few concerns. Is there a difference between 1st class and 2nd class tickets; how long does it take to get to Rome and can round trip be done in one day. I think the round trip can be done in one day, but would like your input on this idea. Thanks.

We will be staying in Florence and want to take the train to Rome for a day; however, never having done this, I do have a few concerns. Is there a difference between 1st class and 2nd class tickets; how long does it take to get to Rome and can round trip be done in one day. I think the round trip can be done in one day, but would like your input on this idea. Thanks.

I have no comment on whether it's a good idea to do a day trip, but I can tell you a bit about the trains, since we will be going one-way Rome-Florence in October. The trains vary in speed, from the fastest Frecciarossa and Frecciargento (highspeed) trains, and slower regional trains. They take about an hour and a half. Just stay away from the Regional trains, they take over three hours.

I believe the Frecce highspeed trains all go to Termini station in Rome, so you'd have to plan your day around that. Fairly close to lots of sights, but if you wanted the Vatican you'd have to take the Metro or a cab across the Tiber.

If you go to trenitalia.com and find the English web page, you can see the variety of fares. Many of the fares vary by whether they are changeable or not. I believe if you book the fast trains in advance, on the web, you can get a better price than if you wait, although if you're in Florence for a few days before, you could probably do it in person. We haven't booked ours yet, but will soon.

We're looking forward to the train ride, love trains in Europe, especially fast ones.ones!

Train time alone would cost you about 4 hours of your day, if you use the high speed trains. So if you are planning a lot of touring in Rome, bear in mind you have lost 4 hours just for the train.

The difference between first and second class is a little room, and IIRC, a small snack. For a 2 hour trip, I would be fine in second class...but we did do first when we went Rome to Venice (which stops at Florence).

What a waste one needs a minimum 3 - 4 days in Roma . You will see nothing in 1/2 day and take 1/2 day getting there from Firenze . If you are based in Firenze that day would be much better spent going to both Pisa & Lucca .

I have to disagree somewhat. While it's true that a day is not much time to spend in Rome, going from Florence for the day is really not much different from going into Rome from Civitavecchia for the day -- in fact, you can actually have longer in Rome.

The fast (Frecci) trains take an hour and a half. You can get one at 6:50 and be at Rome's Termini station at 8:35. From here it is easy to take the metro to either the Colosseum/Forum area (via the "B" line) or to the Vatican (via the "A" line), both of which have stops at Termini.

You can spend a full day at Rome -- as long as you can stand -- and go back to Florence late afternoon or even early evening, as there are plenty of trains throughout the day.

There is not much difference between first and second class. (It's not like the airlines where the difference is huge.) For 90 minutes, I'd be very happy in second class. First class has slightly larger seats. Luggage storage space is pretty good on both, but you likely won't have luggage, so not an issue for you. However, if you book in advance you can sometimes get screaming deals on first class -- in which case, no harm booking that.

I have to disagree somewhat. While it's true that a day is not much time to spend in Rome, going from Florence for the day is really not much different from going into Rome from Civitavecchia for the day -- in fact, you can actually have longer in Rome.

The fast (Frecci) trains take an hour and a half. You can get one at 6:50 and be at Rome's Termini station at 8:35. From here it is easy to take the metro to either the Colosseum/Forum area (via the "B" line) or to the Vatican (via the "A" line), both of which have stops at Termini.

You can spend a full day at Rome -- as long as you can stand -- and go back to Florence late afternoon or even early evening, as there are plenty of trains throughout the day.

There is not much difference between first and second class. (It's not like the airlines where the difference is huge.) For 90 minutes, I'd be very happy in second class. First class has slightly larger seats. Luggage storage space is pretty good on both, but you likely won't have luggage, so not an issue for you. However, if you book in advance you can sometimes get screaming deals on first class -- in which case, no harm booking that.

If I'm planning the opposite- Rome to Firenze for the Day- what is the train stop I should get off in Florence? To be near the center/ David (Accademia) -

Do I need to book train in advance or can we book fast train that morning? Thanks.

If I'm planning the opposite- Rome to Firenze for the Day- what is the train stop I should get off in Florence? To be near the center/ David (Accademia) -

Do I need to book train in advance or can we book fast train that morning? Thanks.

Florence's center is fairly small and luckily the train station is quite central. The name of the station is Firenze -- Santa Maria Novella. (Sometimes abbreviated as S.M. Novella.)

If you're going at the height of tourist season or near a holiday, I would recommend you book in advance. Likewise if having to take a later train would really screw up your schedule.

However, full disclosure -- I've bought tickets for the Frecci trains just before departure a few times and had no problem. (I am also a party of one, so getting seats together isn't an issue for me.)

Of course, you will pay full going fare if you get your tickets on the day of departure.

Take a high speed train and you will be in Rome in just under 2 hours

Buy 2nd class tix ...you will be quite happy with them

While Rome certainly requires several days if you only have 1 day do not miss Rome

For a short trip like this, the 2nd class seat is just fine. Be sure that, when you book your ticket, you are aware that some of the fares are no-change. If you miss that train, you have to buy a new ticket. Just something to remember.

For the Florence/Rome runs, the classes are not 1st and 2nd, but Standard, Premium, Business (3 different Business offerings), and Executive. Within those, you have different rate plans - Base, Economy, Super Economy, and the special senior/child fares. If you go to the Trenitalia site, you can browse and see all the differences between the classes and rates.

If you book far in advance (I do when I know I'm transiting on a particular day in my vacations), you may find a discounted Business ticket that is cheaper than the Standard or Premium purchased later. I take advantage of this all the time. I like that espresso and snack and I like that Business has one side of just single seats!

Edited by slidergirl

Another high speed train option to consider is Italo. They are a private company that runs high speed trains between many Italian cities. We took them in June from Venice to Rome and from Rome to Florence. We booked in advance so were able to get Premium seats for the cost of day of 2nd class seats. Trains were on time, clean, and very comfortable. There website is fairly easy to navigate too.

I just wanted to address the the replies that stated you can't see Rome in a day. We have been there many times before, so we just thought it would be nice to take the train to Rome and kill a few hours for something different as we wouldn't have to worry about luggage, etc. on a train. Thank you for such great advice.

Mean

My daughter did this a few years ago and really saw a lot of Florence. It is a very walkable city. She booked the train in advance but she was still quite young and did not really check about the return journey. Apparently there is more than one train station in Florence. She took her friends to the wrong one and they missed the train. They had no trouble booking a later train, it just cost them a new ticket.

So you you can book in advance and you can book on the day. I think if you are using the faster intercity trains you don't have a choice of station. I think it is near anyway.

I loved Florence. Agree with Cruisemom - if you are doing a land based day trip you have so much extra time than if you are on a cruise - because you don't have to be keeping an eye on your watch for sailaway.