Cabin selection when booking

First things I do when I book my cruises/flights is to pick my cabin on the ship and my seat on the flight. You learn by experience. 99% of the time I deal direct with the cruise line and the airline.

Read reviews on the cabins, peruse deck plans and read reviews and peruse classes/seats on the flying machines.

When booking a GTY interior on RCI I have been upgraded twice in that category; once to a promenade and the other to a virtual balcony. Luckily both have been great. Haven't been upgraded in any category since then.

When booking a GTY interior on RCI I have been upgraded twice in that category; once to a promenade and the other to a virtual balcony. Luckily both have been great. Haven't been upgraded in any category since then.
Obviously some upgrades are worth it but some are not necessarily a better cabin.

whether there is a upgrade box or not, just remember to always check out where you will end up if they offer you one. A cabin upgrade (by category or price) by the ship is not always a better cabin for what you want or where you want it. i.e Some concierge cabins and suite are under the basketball court and pool deck on some ships.:eek:

It's also important to remember that with some cruise lines you can't refuse the upgrade once it's offered.

We have done 22 cruises on various lines, but mostly Princess. Never had an upgrade yet, always paid for my cabin category. I reckon the Upgrade fairy does not like Aussies, except those travelling with P&O Orstralia. I have changed cabins pre final payment, like on our next one, Island Princess, started off with a balcony, then a uncovered mini suite, then a better positioned covered mini suite. Very hot and rainy in Central America, uncovered balcony not a great idea.

Edited by NSWP

We have done 22 cruises on various lines, but mostly Princess. Never had an upgrade yet, always paid for my cabin category. I reckon the Upgrade fairy does not like Aussies, except those travelling with P&O Orstralia. I have changed cabins pre final payment, like on our next one, Island Princess, started off with a balcony, then a uncovered mini suite, then a better positioned covered mini suite. Very hot and rainy in Central America, uncovered balcony not a great idea.

Good work Les,

The issue here is more about wishing not to be upgraded to a cabin which the cruise line might think is a better cabin but the passenger may not.

Cheers Sarah,

Was Princess will ring.

Way to go, but don't tell them Princess people at North Sydney that Uncle Les sent you. They are sick of hearing from moi. Here he comes again, Mr Cabin changer. Grrrr.

Edited by NSWP

Way to go, but don't tell them Princess people at North Sydney that Uncle Les sent you. They are sick of hearing from moi. Here he comes again, Mr Cabin changer. Grrrr.

Damn,to late.

I mentioned Uncle Les,and all I heard was a deep intake of breathe.

A loud bang,and then a siren.

I just put the phone down,and will try again later.