Very upset. Celebrity wifi price huge bait and switch

Kevincalls11

Is this thread still around on page one?? WHY.

How Many Times does it take to say the OP should have jumped on the "special" when it was offered and that the "bait" was not switched it only expired like all specials do.

The title should be changed to "You Snooze, You Lose". We should should all learn a lesson from the OP's mistake. Also we now know that not all the advise given here is correct. Everyone's experience is different and without having all of the information at hand (such as not knowing that the price was a promotion) one could be given bad advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off another cruise line that charged a lot more than Celebrity for internet. The service was awful. Some people opted in on the 1st day and were so frustrated with the terrible service that they asked for a refund. By day 2, they stopped selling unlimited service. As a result, we only used internet when we could find a wifi connection in a port. Some ports had free wifi at the dock. In some ports, we got wifi in a library or cafe. In some ports, there was no wifi. Did I miss wifi? Not as much as I thought I would miss it. Exchanging a few emails with family now and then was enough. Being unconnected was nice.

The title should be changed to "You Snooze, You Lose". We should should all learn a lesson from the OP's mistake. Also we now know that not all the advise given here is correct. Everyone's experience is different and without having all of the information at hand (such as not knowing that the price was a promotion) one could be given bad advise.

Agreed.:D

They also never credited $100 in OBC to our account. Took me two days at guest services before they realized and apologized for their mistake. Feel like I've spent half of my vacation at sea at the desk. So ticked off with celebrity right now.

It's not unusual so I doubt it was a mistake, many times it takes a couple of days before your on board credit shows up. If it's not there on the third day, you need to check on it. Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise but it seems you are looking for trouble.

It's not unusual so I doubt it was a mistake, many times it takes a couple of days before your on board credit shows up. If it's not there on the third day, you need to check on it.

Agree with that; they usually credit it a few days in on Celebrity. But they don't tell you that anywhere.

Sorry you didn't enjoy your cruise but it seems you are looking for trouble.

I wouldn't put it that way. There's no reason to think that it should take a few days. And being laissez faire about things can also result in being too late, or panicking trying to get it resolved at the last minute. (Then you get told it's a weekend and nobody can check, or a public holiday; wait til after the cruise is over... argh!)

Unfortunately it's a balancing act with Celebrity, only experience can help - and it shouldn't be that way.

Agree with that; they usually credit it a few days in on Celebrity. But they don't tell you that anywhere.

I wouldn't put it that way. There's no reason to think that it should take a few days. And being laissez faire about things can also result in being too late, or panicking trying to get it resolved at the last minute. (Then you get told it's a weekend and nobody can check, or a public holiday; wait til after the cruise is over... argh!)

Unfortunately it's a balancing act with Celebrity, only experience can help - and it shouldn't be that way.

I'm sure if he spent two days at guest relations they would have told him it would be posted later.

Bait and switch is exactly what happened to the OP.

Bait and switch is advertising one price for an item and then upon arriving to buy said item it's a different price or they're offering something similar at a higher price.

if the OP had a choice between spending $140 pre-cruise or waiting until on board to pay $199 only to be hit with a $239 price, it's bait and switch.

In your example the advertised item was never available at the advertised price.

The $140 offer was real and he could have bought at that price. That's the difference here. He didn't even ask Celebrity what it would cost to purchase onboard. He asked here on CC. So no, still not bait and switch.

It was completely his choice not to buy at $140 when Celebrity offered it him.

He had the opportunity to pre-buy and decided not to do so based on comments here on CC. Are you saying Celebrity is responsible for posters on CC assuming that their experience on a cruise in the past would be the same for all future cruises?

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss

I'm sure if he spent two days at guest relations they would have told him it would be posted later.

Agreed, they would normally say, we will get onto it, and email head office. They will then let you know the next day as to what has happened with the claim.

The title should be changed to "You Snooze, You Lose". We should should all learn a lesson from the OP's mistake. ]

The title SHOULD be changed as it is misleading and not appropriate. If you see a deal, you need to grab it. Don't go on and blame Celebrity.

When I am checking for airfares and see something real good and don't act on it, I don't go and blame the airline when the fares change. My own fault.

If you see a deal, you need to grab it. Don't go on and blame Celebrity. When I am checking for airfares and see something real good and don't act on it, I don't go and blame the airline when the fares change. My own fault.

Appreciate these above great summary points. As another wisely summarized: "It was completely his choice not to buy at $140 when Celebrity offered it him."

Also like the comment of "You Snooze, You Lose". Sad, but true!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 150,964 views for this posting.

No, I think the cc said that the beginning price was $299. I guess they had dropped the price on the "manage" site to $269 and that's what we thought we would be paying. But when we called cc as suggested on here, he said we had a discount coming.

We booked it yesterday and our sail date is April 22, 2017 for 16 days.

I see where I typed the incorrect amount of $169 instead of $269! I do apologize. I have to admit, by this time and all the reading, my mind is turning to mush!

Thank you for clearing that up. I must admit I was bewildered too :D

I think the internet is an item that some see as a luxury and others as a requirement. The Connie's speeds were quite good however we opted (picked a different perk) not to have it for the second cruise as the expense was not value for us. In other words, unless it is coming with all the perks, I would opt for the drinks, the Grats or the OBC first.

I feel the same way. The Internet on sea days is where you usually have the slow or non existent service. Free wifi in ports is more common now than in years past so if you really need to check in that's the place to do so.

I started to sign up but can't find anything with the fine print to read before buying wifi packages. Do they require both parties in a room to buy the unlimited internet? Or can both people use the same package if they just bring one laptop between them?

I started to sign up but can't find anything with the fine print to read before buying wifi packages. Do they require both parties in a room to buy the unlimited internet? Or can both people use the same package if they just bring one laptop between them?

Yes you can share the one package as long as only one of you are logged in at a time.

Mike

I am sorry that you got stung but perhaps put it down to a lesson learnt for the future and move on . Enjoy your cruise otherwise this may become bigger than Ben Hur and ruin everything on the cruise for you.

My husband and I are both Elite +

We're booked on a Greek Isles cruise in August and decided to upgrade a stateroom category for the perks and the extra space. So we have unlimited internet and some other perks!

I look at cost as only one factor when booking a cruise on Celebrity.

It's the overall package that matters, especially on a 21 day sailing.

My husband and I are both Elite +

We're booked on a Greek Isles cruise in August and decided to upgrade a stateroom category for the perks and the extra space. So we have unlimited internet and some other perks!

I look at cost as only one factor when booking a cruise on Celebrity.

It's the overall package that matters, especially on a 21 day sailing.

I agree, btw, the internet on the Med (Greek Isles) was quite good, or so my wife told me. I was enjoying the sunshine and drinks on my balcony rather than checking FB and emails.