Security on Viking?

Phillygirl3

IVBIu6

Docking like this is not uncommon. Where would a gate be located?

I have a number of pictures, but unfortunately I do not have them in some place that can be linked to. The general construction is a concrete platform on shore, a metal gangway going out to a concrete pier in the water that the ship ties up to. The two places would either be around the shore platform or build it into the gangway about 1/3 of the way out. Since many of the gangways are cruise line specific would be easy to build in the remote locking mechansim

Debating security measures in a public forum serves only to highlight exploitable weaknesses and attract exactly the wrong type of attention so I'm going to leave this thread alone from here on, confident in the belief that there are so many holes in this proposal that it will fortunately never be taken seriously by any of the cruise lines or more importantly, the dock owners...

Debating security measures in a public forum serves only to highlight exploitable weaknesses and attract exactly the wrong type of attention so I'm going to leave this thread alone from here on, confident in the belief that there are so many holes in this proposal that it will fortunately never be taken seriously by any of the cruise lines or more importantly, the dock owners...

Nice try. Good debating technique. Go ahead and list what you see as being wrong with the approach.

It is not a cure all, but a simple approach that provides an visible and useable obstacle. Are their ways around it sure. But the main purpose is to redirect to easier targets. The dock owners often have their own gates (lock and key) that are left open once the ship docks. The gangways are often provided by the cruise line and the gates can easily be integrated into them.

As far as the cruise lines not using gates someone has mentioned that they have started to see them being used in France. However, those use key codes and people often leave them open. Not as good as remote controlled.

Edited by RDC1

debating security measures in a public forum serves only to highlight exploitable weaknesses and attract exactly the wrong type of attention so i'm going to leave this thread alone from here on, confident in the belief that there are so many holes in this proposal that it will fortunately never be taken seriously by any of the cruise lines or more importantly, the dock owners...

this!!!!

Nice try. Good debating technique. Go ahead and list what you see as being wrong with the approach.

Absolutely not, I'm not in the business of providing attacks plans to those so inclined...

The more you debate this and highlight strengths/weaknesses and problems, the more you explain how to successfully attack/defeat the system or how to ignore the system completely and mount a more successful attack in other ways.

The more you debate the need for such measures the more attractive the target becomes...

Absolutely not, I'm not in the business of providing attacks plans to those so inclined...

The more you debate this and highlight strengths/weaknesses and problems, the more you explain how to successfully attack/defeat the system or how to ignore the system completely and mount a more successful attack in other ways.

The more you debate the need for such measures the more attractive the target becomes...

There is a phrase called security by obscurity. Basically where a company does not address security because they never had to and assume that they don't need to.

It usually works until it doesn't.

River Cruising is a large enough industry and visible enough these days that its weaknesses are visible enough, discussed or not.

Having its customer base question the security is one of the best ways to get the companies to address it before an incident occurs.

Meh. The terrorists aren't stupid. They can spot the weaknesses.

And nothing posted here would be of much help. Even if they would ever have the time, interest or knowledge to even find it.

On a related note, many(most) U.S. Cruise ports do not let you take pictures of ships in port. Pretty silly rule. I do not have to list the number of ways someone could take pictures if they wanted to. And, they are readily available online anyways because people take them anyways.

But, still, security people stop us from taking pictures. And, please do not come back with those almost harmful words : "better safe than sorry". Usually a stupid response.

I am pressing my virtual LIKE button.

Here is a link to a picture of an example of the type of dock on the Rhine. A gate could easily be installed on the gangway that could not be easily or quickly gotten around if locked.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.explorerivercruises.com%2Fimages%2FVikingRiverCruiseShip.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.explorerivercruises.com%2Ftraveling-europe-on-a-rhine-river-cruise-with-an-entourage.html&docid=BUodRsou9KEngM&tbnid=p4kEgiWVsMc3WM%3A&w=850&h=456&bih=775&biw=1600&ved=0ahUKEwj0tN6c66HOAhVOzWMKHXTNDjI4yAEQMwgTKBAwEA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Some of the gangways are longer some shorter, some wider some narrower, but most could be secured by a gate on the gangway.

This second link shows several docking locations in a picture with a CC article about low river conditions. Note the same gangway to pier configuration.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6518

Edited by RDC1

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this thread was started about Viking security, but it has taken several twists and turns.

If you go to the News section of Cruise Critic and scroll down a bit, there is something posted on the subject of security in general by the Cruise Critic editor (8/10/16) that addresses this issue and clearly points out there are security changes being made.

I realize this thread was started about Viking security, but it has taken several twists and turns.

If you go to the News section of Cruise Critic and scroll down a bit, there is something posted on the subject of security in general by the Cruise Critic editor (8/10/16) that addresses this issue and clearly points out there are security changes being made.

Thanks for sharing this info. Good to know. Hope you don't mind me sharing a link so it's easier for others to read this update.

Europe Tragedies Inspire River Line Security Upgrades

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise