Choice For River Cruise in France

westerngardener

We've cruised on ocean liners and now looking to experience our first river cruise. There are so many choices out there that it's proving quite the task to decide where and which river cruise line.:confused: Thinking of September/October 2017. Based on our likes/dislikes, I'm looking for suggestions and input.

Not particularly interested in touring churches or hiking.

Hoping to find a great price once we decide on an itinerary.

Help, please:)

Took Viking's Southern France cruise. Pictures here.

Loved the Roman aqueduct at Pont du Garde

Did the Nice add on and too more medieval village tours on our own.

We weren't time-limited -- once I expressed dislike for a night's wine I was immediately offered a choice from all the wines that would be daily offerings. From then on, as soon as we sat down the wine server brought "my" wine to our table.

Had a very similar experience on Uniworld. The sommelier on our Rhone trip wanted to make sure each guest was happy and remembered favorite choices.

Had a very similar experience on Uniworld. The sommelier on our Rhone trip wanted to make sure each guest was happy and remembered favorite choices.

Would like to know your thoughts on Uniworld and your cruise with them. Currently reviewing their Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux on the River Royal in late October, 2017.:confused:

Anyone else cruised with Uniworld.

Also looking at AMADolce Taste of Bordeaux in August 2017 land only or hotel add-on's at beginning and end. Anyone stayed in their hotel choices?

Comparisons, good/bad (is there any bad?)

The sommelier on the SS Catherine copped a bit of an attitude when I asked for a wine other than what she had chosen to accompany dinner one evening (the only staff member we encountered who was anything less than professional). She proceeded to lecture me on why she had chosen the wine and I listened politely to her somewhat condescending speech and then repeated my request for a wine I had been drinking at the bar.

I mentioned this on my comment card at the end of the cruise as it was quite out of place based on the rest of our experience.

Would like to know your thoughts on Uniworld and your cruise with them. Currently reviewing their Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux on the River Royal in late October, 2017.:confused:

Anyone else cruised with Uniworld.

Also looking at AMADolce Taste of Bordeaux in August 2017 land only or hotel add-on's at beginning and end. Anyone stayed in their hotel choices?

Comparisons, good/bad (is there any bad?)

We cruised Bordeaux with Scenic and it was nice and sailed the Rhone with both AMA and Uniworld. AmaDolce has larger cabins than River Royale. River Royale has more inclusions, which is standard for Uniworld. This is reflected in the cost (at least when we have compared the two lines for the same itinerary).

I posted detailed reviews on all three of my France cruises on CC in the review section for AmaDagio, Scenic Diamond and the SS Catherine. I also posted a detailed comparison of my Uniworld and AMA experiences here in this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233779&highlight=ss+catherine

Edited by caviargal

The sommelier on the SS Catherine copped a bit of an attitude when I asked for a wine other than what she had chosen to accompany dinner one evening (the only staff member we encountered who was anything less than professional). She proceeded to lecture me on why she had chosen the wine and I listened politely to her somewhat condescending speech and then repeated my request for a wine I had been drinking at the bar.

I mentioned this on my comment card at the end of the cruise as it was quite out of place based on the rest of our experience.

Maybe we sailed after you did and she had an attitude adjustment! 😄 She did seem to enjoy talking about the wines.

Maybe we sailed after you did and she had an attitude adjustment! 😄 She did seem to enjoy talking about the wines.

I hope so! And yes, she did like hearing herself speak. :D Her wine tasting was a dud as well. And we were not the only ones who left early.

Staff on river boats change with the season - and even within a season. We were on two Uniworld cruises in May (the Seine) and June (the Rhone) and saw 3 different crew members from our Budapest to Amsterdam cruise last summer.

The sommelier on the SS Catherine this past June was a personable young man still learning his trade and happy to discuss wines, becoming a sommelier, etc. At the end of the Cruise Director's nightly speech he would give a little talk on the wines to be featured at the upcoming dinner and he was always available in the dining room. His sommelier's talk one afternoon was interesting - he had us all trying to identify different aromas, something I had never done before and always wondered about. A couple of days later at a vineyard tasting in Chateauneuf du Pape, we got bonus points for being able to identify some of the more exotic aromas in the sample wine :D.

We also met a young woman server in the bar who was a sommelier but since she was only on the ship for the first few days (she was going to Germany to attend a meeting of Uniworld sommeliers where they would determine which wines to purchase) she wasn't the designated sommelier for our cruise. While on this cruise she was arranging delivery of the local wines to the ship and happy to talk wine anytime to anyone. She was a joy to talk to and really personable.

Our first river cruise was on Avalon this May and it was phenomenal.We were in Cannes for 2 days and got our ship in Arles.

Arles was a highlight as they had 40 Van Gogh paintings at the Musueum which had not been shown before

Some other highlights Pont Du Gard outside of Avignon,,, Viviers,, Tourlon,Lyon for food and Art and then 6 days in Paris. Actually Phil W`s excellent photos of their trip south on the Rhone had a lot of our favorites.

I found Avalon to be first class in all areas, staff, food, guides, cabins just a class act and would travel with them again. Cheers Dan

We cruised Bordeaux with Scenic and it was nice and sailed the Rhone with both AMA and Uniworld. AmaDolce has larger cabins than River Royale. River Royale has more inclusions, which is standard for Uniworld. This is reflected in the cost (at least when we have compared the two lines for the same itinerary).

I posted detailed reviews on all three of my France cruises on CC in the review section for AmaDagio, Scenic Diamond and the SS Catherine. I also posted a detailed comparison of my Uniworld and AMA experiences here in this forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2233779&highlight=ss+catherine

Thanks, caviargal. I've read your comparison info and it does seem that AMA would be a better fit for us as well. Could you please explain further re 'River Royale has more inclusions . . .' At this point, prices are comparable for the two cruises we're looking at. However, AmaDolce is mid-August and River Royale is late October. We typically don't mind the heat but wonder if the towns of Bordeaux, Cadillac, Pauillac, Blaye, Libourne might be busy during this time period (AmaDolce's itinerary).

Would appreciate your comments on the itinerary, which is the same for both cruise lines.

Thanks, caviargal. I've read your comparison info and it does seem that AMA would be a better fit for us as well. Could you please explain further re 'River Royale has more inclusions . . .' At this point, prices are comparable for the two cruises we're looking at. However, AmaDolce is mid-August and River Royale is late October. We typically don't mind the heat but wonder if the towns of Bordeaux, Cadillac, Pauillac, Blaye, Libourne might be busy during this time period (AmaDolce's itinerary).

Would appreciate your comments on the itinerary, which is the same for both cruise lines.

Are you looking at a wine cruise with AMA? Those are my favorite!

We sailed with AMA in mid November and Uniworld in July (both Rhone) and found July miserably hot and crowded. We would not choose summer again for this part of Europe and would definitely prefer October (personal preference). Our Bordeaux cruise was late April and I would choose October if we did this again as there is more going on in the vineyards (crush, etc) and this is a very wine based itinerary.

Uniworld includes the following (AMA does not): Room service (new for 2017); guest self serve laundry; all drinks in all venues at all times; all tips aboard and on tours; all tours; a wellness instructor aboard; airport transfers on itinerary start and stop dates. AMA includes beer and wine with lunch and dinner (champagne with breakfast); a very good choice of included excursions. The rest is extra (tips, laundry) and there is no room service.

Are you looking at a wine cruise with AMA? Those are my favorite!

We sailed with AMA in mid November and Uniworld in July (both Rhone) and found July miserably hot and crowded. We would not choose summer again for this part of Europe and would definitely prefer October (personal preference). Our Bordeaux cruise was late April and I would choose October if we did this again as there is more going on in the vineyards (crush, etc) and this is a very wine based itinerary.

Uniworld includes the following (AMA does not): Room service (new for 2017); guest self serve laundry; all drinks in all venues at all times; all tips aboard and on tours; all tours; a wellness instructor aboard; airport transfers on itinerary start and stop dates. AMA includes beer and wine with lunch and dinner (champagne with breakfast); a very good choice of included excursions. The rest is extra (tips, laundry) and there is no room service.

Both are wine tours. Uniworld's is late October and AMA is August. Both have the same itinerary: Cadillac, Pauillac, Blayne, Libourne.

OMG...one minute I'm choosing AMA, next Uniworld. I'm going to have to do a pro's/con's spreadsheet.;)

Both are wine tours. Uniworld's is late October and AMA is August. Both have the same itinerary: Cadillac, Pauillac, Blayne, Libourne.

OMG...one minute I'm choosing AMA, next Uniworld. I'm going to have to do a pro's/con's spreadsheet.;)

AMA's wine cruises have wine hosts, usually representing a specific winery. We have done three and have two more booked. They include special tastings onboard, blind tastings comparing local wines to the wines brought aboard by the host, winery visits with tastings and wine pairing dinners. We have enjoyed all of them very much!

Edited by caviargal

Uniworld includes the following (AMA does not): ... all tours ...

On both our AMA cruises ALL tours were included, even the "Limited Edition" tours. Most reviews of Uniworld that I recall have mentioned extra costs for some tours. This is one area that I believe AMA is actually more inclusive than Uniworld. [AMA does charge extra for some tours on their pre- and post-cruise extensions, but not on the cruise itself.]

Thank you all for your input. I truly appreciated everyone's viewpoint. :)

We've decided and booked Uniworld's River Royal's Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux. Featured excursions include wine-pairing lunch at Chateaux de Cazeneuve, wine tasting at Chateaux Lynch-Bages, tour of Blaye Fortress, Saint-Emilion, tasting at Grand Cru.

By the way, is there a roll call for Uniworld? Can't seem to find it on the roll call tool here.

Off to do more research.:rolleyes:

Edited by westerngardener
additional info

I'm sure you will have a wonderful cruise! The are a first rate cruise line - you should want for nothing. After our first Uniworld cruise last August (Budapest to Amsterdam) we did B2B cruises this May and June on the Seine and the Rhone. Bordeaux is on our short list for our next Uniworld cruise.

We've decided and booked Uniworld's River Royal's Bordeaux, Vineyards & Chateaux. Featured excursions include wine-pairing lunch at Chateaux de Cazeneuve, wine tasting at Chateaux Lynch-Bages, tour of Blaye Fortress, Saint-Emilion, tasting at Grand Cru.

By the way, is there a roll call for Uniworld? Can't seem to find it on the roll call tool here.

Have a great cruise! Roll Calls don't work very well for river cruises, with only around 150 people on each sailing. I encourage people to set up master Roll Calls (e.g. "All Uniworld Bordeaux") -- maybe you'd like to create it :)

Howdy and it appears to be that you both have made a wonderful choice and I am certain that you shall find it to your liking.

Can't say that we have cruised on Uniworld but appears to be another Top Notch Company with lots to offer.

We are setting out on The Spectacular South Of France ( Wine Country ) with Paris and Monte Carlo with Scenic on there newly Redesigned Sapphire for the 2017 cruising season, September 24,2017 for 17 FUNTASTIC Fun Filled Fun Packed Days of Loungin" Laughin' and enjoying all those Fine Tasting Libations.

Hoping the two of you shall have as much fun as Lisa and I are going to have. We got called by Scenic and changed from our Panorama Suite to one of The New Owners Suites. So we shall make the comparisons and see.

Again Wishing You Both Smooth Sailings.

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

On both our AMA cruises ALL tours were included, even the "Limited Edition" tours. Most reviews of Uniworld that I recall have mentioned extra costs for some tours. This is one area that I believe AMA is actually more inclusive than Uniworld. [AMA does charge extra for some tours on their pre- and post-cruise extensions, but not on the cruise itself.]

We did had one extra fee tour on the Danube with AMA. Schonbrunn Palace.

Have a great cruise! Roll Calls don't work very well for river cruises, with only around 150 people on each sailing. I encourage people to set up master Roll Calls (e.g. "All Uniworld Bordeaux") -- maybe you'd like to create it :)

Yes, I thought so. I believe our particular river cruise has the capacity for 130 passengers. How do I go about setting up a master roll call that you mentioned?:confused:

Yes, I thought so. I believe our particular river cruise has the capacity for 130 passengers. How do I go about setting up a master roll call that you mentioned?:confused:

Go to the River Cruising Roll Calls area:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=685

and start a new thread with an appropriate title. But remember that even such a roll call won't provide the stuff that is important on ocean roll calls (e.g. private tour arrangements -- river cruises include lots of tours and there are too few passengers to find common interests -- or getting to "know" fellow passengers on your sailing). You also limit the visibility by being in the Roll Calls area and knocking out folks who may have relevant info from other itineraries on your cruise line or similar itineraries on other cruise lines. So in the end it's probably better to start new threads right here for your questions.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau