Glaciers, glaciers, glaciers

RBAlbany

This is actually a Juneau question. Southbound in 2017. Stops at Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park on days 2 and 3. My question is whether Mendenhall adds anything or not. Right now figuring whale watching and Glacier Gardens. The tram if the weather is good. Not sure how or if the glacier fits in, and if it is worth it. In port 6:30 - 4:00. Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks.

Just a personal opinion but after seeing the other glaciers I don't think Mendenhall would add a lot. Whales and Glacier Gardens is exactly what we did in Juneau and we did not regret it. Only reason (for me) to do a Mendenhall tour would be the one that stops at Alaska Brewing. ;)

Try using Google Earth to zoom in and fly around the Mendenhall area from ground level to get a sense of what is there. Spectacular scenery but at that point you will have already seen better and closer.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Mendenhall and it sounds like you have other plans that interest you already. Every year it retreats farther from the viewing area and the bus prices to get there go higher. I don't think you will miss it by not stopping by.

FYI I think the Tram is way overpriced also but that is just my opinion.

Just a personal opinion but after seeing the other glaciers I don't think Mendenhall would add a lot. Whales and Glacier Gardens is exactly what we did in Juneau and we did not regret it. Only reason (for me) to do a Mendenhall tour would be the one that stops at Alaska Brewing. ;)

How did you do the whales and gardens? Tour, car, bus? Looking forward to your reply.

I am always one for getting out and being active. Ride the city shuttle bus to the glacier. No it isn't spectacular. But the short hike, more of a walk, is a great way to stretch the legs and the waterfall is really pretty and you can get close. I am glad I did it, even after the perfect day at Glacier Bay.

How did you do the whales and gardens? Tour, car, bus? Looking forward to your reply.

When our glacier helicopter tour was scrubbed by low ceilings we switched to the whale watching tour. It was a large catamaran type boat with enclosed seating and deck space outside for viewing. Saw a mother Humpback and her calf. The curious calf came right up to the boat (drifting, engine off). Very cool.

Afterward we had time to kill so we hopped on a city bus and went to Glacier Gardens where we happened to be between ship tours so had the place to ourselves. Took by the operator in what was then a stretch golf cart to the top for a great view. Called a taxi for ride back to ship. Total cost of bus, GG (for two) and taxi was a fraction of the cost of the ship arranged tour for just one of us.

Glacier Gardens is about 2-1/4 miles beyond Lemon Creek where the brewery is located. The bus runs about 2 blocks from the brewery so you can maybe catch a bus headed back to Juneau and get of in Lemon Creek. It's a couple block walk from cruise terminal area to where the bus runs through downtown Juneau.

Brewery

Bus Schedule

Your question says a lot to me. Are you asking because "Mendenhall" is "popular" and often linked with whale watching? The wrong reason to choose tours. You state, you are whale watching and have an interest in Glacier Gardens. Seems to me, THOSE are YOUR interests and choices? With your port time, IF you take the city bus, you probably aren't going to be able to add the Alaskan Brewery. Transiting Juneau by city bus is a slow process. Instead, when back downtown Juneau. Take a couple walk block walk up Franklin and stop at the Alaskan Hotel bar. On the National Historical Register and far more "real" than the Red Dog. :) Can stop at the Red Dog easily as well, only a few blocks apart for a look.

We just did Endicott Arm and Mendenhall, so I can't speak for Glacier Bay or Hubbard. We did get a nice view of the Dawes glacier in Endicott, but we all thought Mendenhall was spectacular. We hiked out to Nugget Falls, played on the beach, stuck our feet in the lake and were really amazed by the falls themselves. Spent 2.5ish hours there and didn't even have time to touch the visitor's center. Wish we had more time.

We also did a whale watch and if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the whale watch, that was amazing. Half our group did the brewery and enjoyed that too. Drove by Glacier Gardens and was honestly underwhelmed. Looked at the window at the whole thing and thought "that's it?"

Good luck with your decision.

We just did Endicott Arm and Mendenhall, so I can't speak for Glacier Bay or Hubbard. We did get a nice view of the Dawes glacier in Endicott, but we all thought Mendenhall was spectacular. We hiked out to Nugget Falls, played on the beach, stuck our feet in the lake and were really amazed by the falls themselves. Spent 2.5ish hours there and didn't even have time to touch the visitor's center. Wish we had more time.

We also did a whale watch and if I had to pick between the two, I'd pick the whale watch, that was amazing. Half our group did the brewery and enjoyed that too. Drove by Glacier Gardens and was honestly underwhelmed. Looked at the window at the whole thing and thought "that's it?"

Good luck with your decision.

There is much more to Glacier Gardens than what you can see from the road. We especially enjoyed the tour by tram through the forest. Here are the Trip Advisor reviews: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d144195-Reviews-Glacier_Gardens_Rainforest_Adventure-Juneau_Alaska.html

I haven't been to Mendenhall Glacier since 2011, but I have been interested in doing a tour where you canoe on the lake in front of it, as well as the paddle and trek excursions from Beyond Alaska: http://www.beyondak.com

Edited by NancyIL

This is actually a Juneau question. Southbound in 2017. Stops at Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park on days 2 and 3. My question is whether Mendenhall adds anything or not. Right now figuring whale watching and Glacier Gardens. The tram if the weather is good. Not sure how or if the glacier fits in, and if it is worth it. In port 6:30 - 4:00. Thoughts and suggestions please. Thanks.

IMHO - Mendenhall was a let down compared to Glacier Bay & the Sawyer Glaciers in Tracy Arm.