Currency for tipping

Cruzin Terri

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did search and didn't find my answer. We are on a European cruise and usually like to tip those who provide good service above the usual service charge billed to one's account.

What is the usual currency for tipping on a European cruise? On other lines we have always tipped in US Dollars, however, this is our first cruise on Oceania and would like to make sure we follow proper protocol.

Thanks,

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I think USD are best for tipping - even in Europe.

IMO, generally speaking, the staff collects the tips to add to their salaries to bring home rather than spending it in ports.

That said, I am sure they can make use of Euros as well. Perhaps if you have "left over" Euros that you don't plan on using in the near future, that may be a good choice as well.

I think USD are best for tipping - even in Europe.

IMO, generally speaking, the staff collects the tips to add to their salaries to bring home rather than spending it in ports.

That said, I am sure they can make use of Euros as well. Perhaps if you have "left over" Euros that you don't plan on using in the near future, that may be a good choice as well.

every port i am in all over the world i see crew eating lunch out. many bring gifts home.. saleries get sent home-guess wire transferes.

I think Euros would be best, that said US$ works also. But as other said it would be easyer for them if given Euros.

Still the gold standard for stability the dollar...the euro is in flux, for reliability give dollars... because if you give euros, remember that you had to pay a commission to buy them and what ever you give is costing you more. .

If I remember correctly crew members all pool all monies they get, and money given direct to crew, all gets thrown into the pot....They dont keep it but share it

I try to do most of my tipping on a credit card and also get points or miles in return.....then everybody wins.

Give the currency you like

If the ship is going to be in Europe for a few cruises after yours the crew will spend the extra money onshore (if they have time off)

you can tip in USD & they can change it on the ship if they need to ....they have their own Purser

We tend to tip the Housekeeping staff at the end of the cruise plus we leave any unused foreign coins for them

they will probably be back in those Countries before us

I do not believe if you tip them extra it is pooled

Give the currency you like

If the ship is going to be in Europe for a few cruises after yours the crew will spend the extra money onshore (if they have time off)

you can tip in USD & they can change it on the ship if they need to ....they have their own Purser

We tend to tip the Housekeeping staff at the end of the cruise plus we leave any unused foreign coins for them

they will probably be back in those Countries before us

I do not believe if you tip them extra it is pooled

Since you can not convert any coin back to your currency, leave it as it is lost to you... I have bags of coins from every where you can think and with the euro and pound having up to 5 units.... you can be left holding a bag of soon to be worthless to you) coins

I had a cabin steward tell me once they all turn in any cash they get to a pool for their work unit......Thats what they told me..

Since you can not convert any coin back to your currency, leave it as it is lost to you... I have bags of coins from every where you can think and with the euro and pound having up to 5 units.... you can be left holding a bag of soon to be worthless to you) coins

what part of my statement did you not comprehend ??

"plus we leave any unused foreign coins for them"

every port i am in all over the world i see crew eating lunch out. many bring gifts home.. saleries get sent home-guess wire transferes.

How do you give them wire transfers???

I had a cabin steward tell me once they all turn in any cash they get to a pool for their work unit......Thats what they told me..

Never worthless. Will be going back at some time I am sure. This July took with me a whole bunch of euros from last year. WE give US Dollars in cash. Easier for the crew to use them.

How do you give them wire transfers???

I meant the crew must wire transfer their saleries. their family has to eat and pay bills while they are on the ship for months. how else would their saleries get home. no one carry's that kind of cash.

I meant the crew must wire transfer their saleries. their family has to eat and pay bills while they are on the ship for months. how else would their saleries get home. no one carry's that kind of cash.

By wire transfer do you mean electronic banking? I imagine that is how they are paid.

Never worthless. Will be going back at some time I am sure. This July took with me a whole bunch of euros from last year. WE give US Dollars in cash. Easier for the crew to use them.

Want my collection of Francs, marks, Gilders, New Pence, Lira, NZ, Australia, Fijian and Korean and Cook Island coins.... The Francs Gilders and Marks and Lira are now all worthless coins, good for fishing weights and not much else.... I will sell them to you for 50 cents per pound you pay shipping............. Since I switched to plastic no more coin .

As suggested....leave all your coin on the nightstand when you leave...chances are good your never have a chance to use it.

By the way if tipping in euros, and computing a fair percentage to give 10 to 20% dont forget that your euros are really not dollars and that with currency variations and commissions to get the euro.... your really tipping with an instrument thats 20 to 30% more than a dollar

Want my collection of Francs, marks, Gilders, New Pence, Lira, NZ, Australia, Fijian and Korean and Cook Island coins.... The Francs Gilders and Marks and Lira are now all worthless coins, good for fishing weights and not much else.... I will sell them to you for 50 cents per pound you pay shipping..........

Since I collect money, I might take your coins :D :D

Want my collection of Francs, marks, Gilders, New Pence, Lira, NZ, Australia, Fijian and Korean and Cook Island coins.... The Francs Gilders and Marks and Lira are now all worthless coins, good for fishing weights and not much else.... I will sell them to you for 50 cents per pound you pay shipping............. Since I switched to plastic no more coin .

As suggested....leave all your coin on the nightstand when you leave...chances are good your never have a chance to use it.

By the way if tipping in euros, and computing a fair percentage to give 10 to 20% dont forget that your euros are really not dollars and that with currency variations and commissions to get the euro.... your really tipping with an instrument thats 20 to 30% more than a dollar

I get a much better rate than that in a major bank ATM. But it is very rare that we pay with anything else but credit cards where we get the real rates. Just checked our bills from the last month and the rate was just about what the FX web sites were showing for those days.

Edited by RJB
wrong word