Help with what to do in Alaska after cruise

Beachiekeen

My family plans to book our Alaskan cruise next week and we are planning on the one-way NB from Vancouver in June 2017. We would dock in Whittier at 12:30 a.m., Saturday July 1. "We" is myself (47) and my husband (41) and his parents--she is 67, he is 71, both in good health.

We would like to add on some days in Alaska after the cruise, but I would absolutely have to be back at work the following Thursday. I had the idea to see Denali National Park, however, the idea of a 5-hour drive and then a 7-hour bus ride is being met with some resistance.

What are some other things we could do Saturday through say Tuesday in or around Anchorage? Scenic drives would be fine, as long as they are more in the 2-3 hour range. A train ride would be fine also. I think any type of kayak/raft tour or flightseeing would be out. I thought about the Prince William Sound cruise but I'm not sure everyone would want to get right off a boat and then right on another one (plus what do we do with our luggage?). We plan to spend time in Seattle pre-cruise.

Also, how soon would we be off the boat on Saturday to get started?

If anyone can point me in a direction, I would appreciate it. I want to have a plan for my in-laws when we book the cruise, but I'm having trouble with the logistics of everything.

Edited by Beachiekeen

If Denali is a priority, why not make it a 4 day trip in orderto break up the drive and see other places of interest along the way? For example

Sat ... pick up rental car at a visit in Whittier (the only vendor ) and get in line for the 9am tunnel opening. Make a few stops along the turnaround arm, like wildlife conservation center., Alyeska resort, then drive 3 hrs to matanuska glacier where you can ice trek or white water raft.

Sunday.... stop at independence mine then drive to denali.

Monday. ... shuttle into the park

Tuesday. ... 10am sled dog demo., Exhibits, drive 2.5 hrs to Talkeetna to overnight

Wed drive to anchorage 2.5 hrs, return car, fly home.

Or you can skip Denali and spend a few days in Seward or homer, or both.

Many many options. You just need to do your research and determine which sights and activities best suit your interests. Borrow an alaska travel book from the library, look at the " resource" thread on the next page, read trip reports.

Depending on budget the Alyeska resort at Girdwood (on way to Anchorage) might be an option. The tram ride to the top of the mountain is very scenic (if it is clear out) and the 7-Glaciers restaurant at the top is very good with great view.

Alyeska Resort

A bit longer than 2-3 hours but the 90 or so mile drive from Anchorage to the Matanuska glacier is really scenic - pack a picnic lunch to break up the drive.

If it is really clear you can see Mt. McKinley fine from Talkeetna. The lodge there has a huge deck with great view and a good place for lunch. Couple hours each way (traffic permitting).

In Palmer some of the buildings left from the Matanuska Valley Colony are view-able. If interested in US history then the 1935 relocation of 203 families from Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan to the valley there is a fascinating story. Wiki article here. People in the area to this day have accents very much like northern Minnesota - think Sarah Palin. About 40 miles from Anchorage (on way to Matanuska Glacier too).

There are some resorts in the Big Lake area near Wasilla that might be a relaxing option for lodging and perhaps fishing if that's of interest. Also some VRBO options.

A couple of thoughts, then a big "what if" question...

Book a car for Whittier. Disembark (probably around 8 AM) and put your bags in the car and drive to Seward, which will take a couple of hours counting a wait for the one-way tunnel out of Whittier. Stop at the wildlife sanctuary close to where the road from Portage Valley (where the tunnel ends) hits the Seward Highway.

Spend the rest of the day in Seward (there will be other cruise ships and plenty of people in town, so book accommodations ahead.)

On Sunday take a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward. This will give you glaciers and much more wildlife than you'll have seen on the cruise. After the cruise, drive back toward Anchorage but stop at Girdwood, just up the road from the turnoff to the Whittier tunnel. (Yes, you'll be retracing your route from Saturday but there's no escaping it.) You'll have plenty of daylight, by the way; it won't get dark at all, just twilight.

Stay at the Alyeska resort in Girdwood; it's in a beautiful setting and isn't priced much differently than hotels in Anchorage that offer far less amenity.

Spend Monday around Girdwood. Have a meal at the Seven Glaciers restaurant and take pictures from the gondola, and get a feel for the place.

Note the dates aren't out yet, but that might be the weekend of the Girdwood Forest Fair - http://girdwoodforestfair.com/ - so if that's of interest (or if you want to avoid it) you might want to play with the timing. Note however that you want to be WELL AWAY from Seward by the 3rd of July, which is when people show up for an enormous race (the Mt. Marathon race) on the 4th. It absolutely packs the city and makes travel to and from Seward very difficult.

Anyway, then head to Anchorage the next day and spend the last two days around town. You could do a day trip up to Matanuska Glacier (around 2 hours) maybe stopping at the Eklutna village cemetery en route, or visit the Native Heritage center in Anchorage... lots to do.

Or the big "what if?"...

What if you did a round trip cruise out of Vancouver and used the extra days to explore the southern BC area?

The reason I'm saying this is that four days in southcentral Alaska (Anchorage, Denali, Kenai Peninsula etc.) isn't - in my view - enough time to do it justice. You'll be spending too many hours (and way too many dollars) fussing with logistics, with long drives, with LOTS of people with the same ideas... when those same hours, and fewer dollars, could be spent doing something else, maybe even something more enjoyable.

For example, Whistler. Whistler is mainly a winter ski resort area, but in the summer it's gorgeous, and the huge inventory of first-class accommodation built for the ski crowds in January is VERY affordable for visitors in the summer. The scenery is fab, there are lots of food and activity options, and the 90 min. drive from Vancouver - up the "Sea to Sky Highway" - is one of the most beautiful in North America, on a par with the Seward Highway between Anchorage and Portage.

Or you could spend a couple of days on the beautiful (and not well known south of the border) "Sunshine Coast" of BC, reached by ferry from Horseshoe Bay, basically the beginning of the road to Whistler. The Sunshine Coast has picturesque little towns, beautiful beaches and coves to be discovered, friendly folks, art galleries... it's a marvelous "off the beaten path" place to hang out for a couple of days.

Or visit world-class gardens like those in Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Park, nearly comparable to the more famous (and expensive) Butchart Gardens near Victoria, but free.

Or spend a night at Bard on the Beach, Vancouver's waterfront Shakespeare festival. Or wander around Vancouver's Granville Market or world-famous Stanley Park with its amazing aquarium.

The point being, you might find that four days could be spent having a lot of fun in BC, with less cost and way less hassle than the same four days in southcentral Alaska.

Then plan to return to Alaska when you can take enough time to visit Denali or the Kenai peninsula, or even better, fly to some place off the road system to get a real feel for the majesty (and diversity) of the Great Land.

Long post, hope it's not too much.

Edited by Gardyloo

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would love to drive to Seward as I've heard it's lovely and spend time there and then come back so I think that is what I am leaning towards.

Since the flight from Alaska to DFW is a red-eye, we would need to leave Tuesday to make it home in time for me to be back at work Thursday. There is a same day flight but we would get back too late and thus would still need to leave Tuesday. So I feel like we would have to head straight to Denali on Saturday to have enough time there. Hubby does not like long drives, especially with his parents, ha!

I suggested flying to Seattle or Vancouver after the cruise, mainly to break up that long flight home so that is on the table also. I can't convince my husband to do a RT but that is indeed an option since we haven't booked anything yet. He says since Alaska is the destination, why not add on more time there. But I agree we don't have alot of time to give to it. Everything is still an option, I'm just trying to get an idea of the best one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Thanks for all the suggestions. I would love to drive to Seward as I've heard it's lovely and spend time there and then come back so I think that is what I am leaning towards.

Since the flight from Alaska to DFW is a red-eye, we would need to leave Tuesday to make it home in time for me to be back at work Thursday. There is a same day flight but we would get back too late and thus would still need to leave Tuesday. So I feel like we would have to head straight to Denali on Saturday to have enough time there. Hubby does not like long drives, especially with his parents, ha!

I suggested flying to Seattle or Vancouver after the cruise, mainly to break up that long flight home so that is on the table also. I can't convince my husband to do a RT but that is indeed an option since we haven't booked anything yet. He says since Alaska is the destination, why not add on more time there. But I agree we don't have alot of time to give to it. Everything is still an option, I'm just trying to get an idea of the best one. Thanks for the suggestions.

Why drive to Denali? The Princess train boards a few steps from the ship in Whittier. Many on cruisetours take it direct to Denali....and I think that it is available as "rail-and-hotel-only" if you check with Princess. The train would put you at Denali in the late afternoon on Saturday, shuttle into the Park on Sunday, back to Anchorage on Monday, rent a car, explore Seward on Tuesday. Fly home late tuesday night (most US flights leave ANC in the wee hours) [ya really need one more day] LOL

Yes, we actually looked at the train last night (I wasn't aware of it) but it's 7+ hours and would be like $1200 if we did the nicest option. And then of course, we don't know where to stay or how to get back--I would think driving the 2 hours to Fairbanks and then flying home from there would make the most sense? But how do we get there--is there a train from Denali to Fairbanks?

Oh and the whole tunnel thing out of Whittier I wasn't aware of either! So much to learn! But I guess we have time.

I remember dealing with the same issue of logistics when we planned our trip in 2014. Ours was a NB cruise on Princess, ending in Whittier, and then a few days in Alaska before flying home on Tuesday night. I felt like I was trying to work a puzzle and the pieces just didn't fit together.

Ultimately we took a shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage where we rented a car and then drove back down to Seward. On the way we stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center. The drive is scenic so backtracking didn't bother me at all.

On Sunday we did an all day Kenai Fjords National Park tour which was the highlight of the whole cruise for me. So much wildlife and breathtaking scenery! Monday we toured the Sea Life Center and then hiked at Exit Glacier.

Tuesday we drove back to Anchorage, stopping along the way. (We got to spend some quality time with a moose!) Our flight left Tuesday night around midnight.

If you are interested in reading about our trip in more detail, here is a link to my blog with lots of photos: My Souvenir Memories Blog

I also put the exact same review here on Cruise Critic but it takes a little longer to read because of so many other comments. (The link to that review is in my signature.)

Good luck to you in your planning. Sharing this trip with your inlaws should be a special time that you will always remember!

I remember dealing with the same issue of logistics when we planned our trip in 2014. Ours was a NB cruise on Princess, ending in Whittier, and then a few days in Alaska before flying home on Tuesday night. I felt like I was trying to work a puzzle and the pieces just didn't fit together.

Ultimately we took a shuttle from Whittier to Anchorage where we rented a car and then drove back down to Seward. On the way we stopped at the Wildlife Conservation Center. The drive is scenic so backtracking didn't bother me at all.

On Sunday we did an all day Kenai Fjords National Park tour which was the highlight of the whole cruise for me. So much wildlife and breathtaking scenery! Monday we toured the Sea Life Center and then hiked at Exit Glacier.

Tuesday we drove back to Anchorage, stopping along the way. (We got to spend some quality time with a moose!) Our flight left Tuesday night around midnight.

If you are interested in reading about our trip in more detail, here is a link to my blog with lots of photos: My Souvenir Memories Blog

I also put the exact same review here on Cruise Critic but it takes a little longer to read because of so many other comments. (The link to that review is in my signature.)

Good luck to you in your planning. Sharing this trip with your inlaws should be a special time that you will always remember!

Oh wow, this is helpful thank you! I can't wait to read this tonight! :)

Well, in view of that, how about a thought experiment?

[heresy]

What if you... skipped the cruise? You could fly to Anchorage and spend a week touring southcentral - Denali, Kenai Peninsula, etc. Then fly (an hour) to Juneau and spend a couple of days in southeast Alaska. Maybe take a ferry or a short flight over to Sitka - a very pretty town skipped by the majority of cruise ships, then back to Seattle and back to DFW.

You could do a glacier cruise out of Whittier, a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward, or even a trip to Glacier Bay out of Juneau, all without the regimentation of the cruise line. Or go way outside the box and take a couple of days in the arctic or subarctic, with a visit to Kotzebue above the arctic circle (thus 24h sun) or Nome on the Bering Sea, home to gold miners and with roads (and rental vehicles) available for drives out into the bush to see muskoxen, bears, caribou, the "train to nowhere" and Eskimo villages.

Just sayin', if you want to see Alaska, see it.

[/heresy]

Ha, good point. However, we want to do the cruise for several reasons: one, hubby and I enjoy it but mainly--we think it is about the only way we could all vacation together. If there are too many moving parts, too many places to be and times to be there, and alot of time together in a car, I don't think the trip would be as enjoyable, as much as we all love each other! :) Hubby's parents get very stressed when traveling (which in turn stresses him out). A cruise just seemed like the best way to see the scenery and enjoy each other's company but still have some space.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Beachikeen: It appears that you are just starting to research your options, and you might find the trip report stickies at the top of the Alaska forum very valuable.

But I have another "out of the box" idea -- since your in-laws stress over travel would just sending them home after the cruise be an option? If they find travel stressful, just book the cruise the cruise line sponsored transfer to the Anchorage airport for them and let them fly home. You and your husband then could spend a few days on your own before flying back to DFW.

And the Alaska Railroad extends from Seward to Fairbanks, with a spur line to Whittier.

Ha, good point. However, we want to do the cruise for several reasons: one, hubby and I enjoy it but mainly--we think it is about the only way we could all vacation together. If there are too many moving parts, too many places to be and times to be there, and alot of time together in a car, I don't think the trip would be as enjoyable, as much as we all love each other! :) Hubby's parents get very stressed when traveling (which in turn stresses him out). A cruise just seemed like the best way to see the scenery and enjoy each other's company but still have some space.

While many on CC recommend the DIY method that you are researching, if your in-laws stress a little or a lot, you might explore the Princess Cruisetour offerings. They are excellent and take the stress out of cruise bookings, hotel bookings, train and bus connections, etc. You must call Princess or a Travel agent for pricing as it is not on the website. One price covers the cost of the cruise, train, hotel rooms in Denali and Anchorage. Travelers usually pay for their own meals on the land portion.

Princess has it's own lodges (train cars, buses, etc) at the various tour locations that travelers choose. In the case of Denali it is.....Denali Princess Lodge.

Cruisetours are not cheap, but offer end to end arrangements that many find more convenient than all the effort of making arrangements in an unfamiliar place.

Edited by thinfool

Well my ILs are paying for the trip and if we were to stay in Alaska then they would want to too. Just booking the cruise tour through the ship is a good idea. We liked the idea of picking our own lodging, etc. but I agree it may be our best option and the least stress. Normally I love planning but I'm finding the logistics harder on this trip. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yes, we actually looked at the train last night (I wasn't aware of it) but it's 7+ hours and would be like $1200 if we did the nicest option. And then of course, we don't know where to stay or how to get back--I would think driving the 2 hours to Fairbanks and then flying home from there would make the most sense? But how do we get there--is there a train from Denali to Fairbanks?

Oh and the whole tunnel thing out of Whittier I wasn't aware of either! So much to learn! But I guess we have time.

IF the Whittier/Denali train is available booked separately- that would be my only suggestion, and staying at the Denali Princess. It is a 10 hour train trip. BUT, probably ideal for your group. I do NOT recommend any packaged crusietour. Negatives are it is going to put you at the McKinley Princess and will include a Denali "tour". IF the lodging and transportation are only available, book yourselves on the Eielson shuttle bus. Arrange the train Fairbanks/Denali independently if not available as package with Princess. Simple.

Get a rental car in Fairbanks, and tour with your bags until your overnight flight home.

All I can add to this conversation is to spend some time in Denali if you can. My wife and I (both 50+) were there On July 4-8 this year and I wish I had another week. If you do go, definitely arrange a tour into the park. We did hiking around the Visitor's center as well as the Tundra Wilderness Tour 55 miles or so into the Park. Deep in the park, you get to see some very excellent landscapes. Some Panorama's I took:

The PolyChrome pass http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/polychromepan.jpg

the Teklanika River: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/teklanika.jpg

The Toklak river: http://thewellrats.com/malbor2/alaska/toklat_denali.jpg

I would rent a car and drive north of Palmer to Sutton. We stayed at the Majestic Wilderness Lodge which was beautiful. We took a three hour glacier trek with MICA guides which was the highlight of the entire trip! No helicopter involved, so it was very reasonable.

Denali National Park is well worth it. Make sure to see the free dog sled demo at the visitor center. We were there three nights at the McKinley Chalet and loved it. If you stay there, make sure to relax at Denali Square. Kind of reminded me of après ski time at Breckinridge.

Good luck planning your trip!