How fast have you sailed?

Hi all, when i was on the Vista and we were sailing from Livorno to Marseille i noticed we were sailing pretty fast, so i went to my cabin to look at our speed and we were sailing 21,7 knots, but there was a very strong wind ( 34+ kts ) against our bow. So the ship could probably do a few more knots.

Now is my question: What is the fastest speed you have ever sailed while on a cruise ship?

Well, you do realize that 21.7 of those 34 knots of wind is from the ship's motion? So, you were seeing probably 12-15 knots of true wind.

But anyway, Vista's design speed is 23 knots, which is typical for cruise ships these days. Some ships can go faster with the aid of currents like the Gulf Stream if in the same direction. The QM2 can do 30 knots, and used to do it regularly on the shorter crossings, not so much now. I used to work on the Norwegian Sky, when it was the Pride of Aloha, and she is rated for 23 knots as well, and we had one passage between Kauai and the Big Island where we needed 21 knots every week. It really all depends on how the itinerary is set up, but all the lines are running the ships slower because of fuel costs.

We had a medical emergency on Ventura (a Grand Class ship) after Madeira, with 6 days to go before reaching Barbados. The captain announced that he was increasing to 23 knots, and we made the port in just over 5 days.

The captain said that he could increase more, but that it would be uncomfortable and not good for the ship for so many days.

in excess of 30 knots.

got underway late due to a medical emergency on board and we needed to be on station for the Demonstration (shooting the guns)

funnily enough, Mr Spook was driving. (well he gave the orders to 'drive it like you stole it' at least )

Well, you do realize that 21.7 of those 34 knots of wind is from the ship's motion? So, you were seeing probably 12-15 knots of true wind.

When I can I like to listen to the air traffic control traffic with the pilots. Pretty often they'll ask the pilot for their "Mach number" air speed (typically .85 or so) which in conjunction with ground speed can tell them what the winds are at altitude.

I suppose they could do the same for ships and currents but I'd cr@p my pants if I heard the Captain being asked for his Mach number. :eek:

Royal Olympia's Olympia Voyager did around 32 knots according to the crew at the time.

This was our first cruise and sailed (motored) out of Athens during our honeymoon in 2002 (We said "I Do" in two thousand two).

They would not allow you to go outside forward while underway.

Royal Olympia's Olympia Voyager did around 32 knots according to the crew at the time.

This was our first cruise and sailed (motored) out of Athens during our honeymoon in 2002 (We said "I Do" in two thousand two).

They would not allow you to go outside forward while underway.

Her design speed is listed as 32 mph or 28 knots, the confusion of which many crew are liable to. Still a respectable clip. She is currently owned by a Chinese cruise line as the M/V Chinese Taishan.

Edited by chengkp75

To go fast, you really want a larger ship; I'm talking the great ocean liners that had to keep schedule almost regardless of the weather. This goes back to the Mauretania of 1907 and before. I recall doing 26 knots on the Cunard Queens (QE2 & QM2) in force 10-12 seas. Yes, a rocky ride, but we were fine, except for those without their "sea legs". ;)

Her design speed is listed as 32 mph or 28 knots, the confusion of which many crew are liable to. Still a respectable clip. She is currently owned by a Chinese cruise line as the M/V Chinese Taishan.

First cruise so we didn't know better but the OUTSIDE cabin was something around 145 square feet.

High 20s on the Queen Mary back in the late 50s. Low 30s on several QE2 trips back in the 80s and the fastest of them all doing mid 30's (average not a sprint) on the SS United States back in the 60s during her hay day. My favorite 'go fast' ship is the QE2 followed by the trans Atlantic cruise ship/ocean liner QM2 filling a distant second place.

Looking for a heart attack? Try speeds over 100 mph on an M-1 class off shore racing power boat. I'm no stranger to fast boats but one quick blast aboard that thing was plenty for me. There will be no second time - ever!.

Storm5.jpg

The above picture sure looks like the Eagle? I've sailed the tall ship Danmark a few times and hope to some day catch a ride on Eagle. I was out of town and missed a chance to do a leg of the whaling ship Morgan after her refit. Life is all about timing and mine needs a little work.

Great picture by the way but it looks to have been shot some time ago (I'm not seeing the flotation devices and other OSHA gear the Coast Guard is required to wear when on deck these days).

The above picture sure looks like the Eagle? I've sailed the tall ship Danmark a few times and hope to some day catch a ride on Eagle. I was out of town and missed a chance to do a leg of the whaling ship Morgan after her refit. Life is all about timing and mine needs a little work.

Great picture by the way but it looks to have been shot some time ago (I'm not seeing the flotation devices and other OSHA gear the Coast Guard is required to wear when on deck these days).

Actually, that is the "Horst Wessel". Sorry, I just can't help busting Capt_BJ about the fact that it used to be a **** training ship. But it is an amazing sight. And in fact, OSHA has no jurisdiction on vessels, especially the USCG, who set their own rules.

• 2 weeks later...

On M/V Arcadia (P&O's Vista class ship) on a cruise just after her first refit she did a speed run and maintained 24.5 knots for an hour in completely calm conditions. I still have the GPS log.

The last time I was on her she was generally doing about 13 knots between ports, except for one day when we did 18 to 20 knots.... the days of 22 knots between ports to maximise time in ports have long gone :(