Australia/NZ options & deals

I haven't cruised in years. Cruised a lot on RCL, some on NCL, once on HAL & Celebrity.

Want to do a Sydney to Auk cruise in Feb. Prices seem really high and availability is minimal.

I used to book directly with the CL's to get the best deals, now it seems some of the online sites - arroyo, ************ have all these deals. Not sure which way to go. I don't see any specials from HAL or Celebrity.

My list-

verandah

like private dining - don't want to wait in lines to reserve it, who will let me do this prior

like to read in the solarium

don't go to shows

drink a lot of wine, no soda

don't like noise, kids

don't like buffets

Seems like I would like the Solstice but zero availability out of Sydney & it's mega expensive. Glass blowing is intriguing. Thinking about HAL. Never cruised Princess. But it's a lot of days & a lot of $$ so want to be sure.

Thinking it would be a great way to see NZ as I've never been. Arriving in Sydney to stay with my new s-i-law's mum for a few days prior. Could do Auk-Sydney but I would prefer to do Sydney as want to arrive at least 2 days early for this trip.

So you Aussie/NZ experts what advice can you give me?

Edited by LADinCT

Celebrity in a Aqua cabin will give you access to the complimentary Blu restaurant. I think you can just turn up there when it suits you but am not sure. However Solstice does book up early when she's over here.

For the Princess speciality dining you would need to book for each night, and you can't book until you board. However the speciality restaurants usually aren't very busy on Aus/NZ cruises. Also the smaller Princess ships, Sun, Sea & Dawn, have limited speciality dining and no solariums. You will need to book on Golden, Emerald or Diamond.

Was looking at the Ovation as there were some decent discounts. The ship rating is 52% though, that is terrible.

Plus it looks like you can't book dining. And I think they have waitlist at 6pm. dining whatever that is.

I'm sure sky diving on the ship is out.

It looks like a huge ship & I'm not standing in line for dining.

Looked at Cunard. Don't know how it would be being in the steerage class- balcony only. I've never sailed them.

Think I waited too long already. Don't want to wait until 2018

Most cruise lines have two types of Main Dining Room (MDR) dining:

- Traditional where you go to the same table in the same MDR at the same time each night. There are usually two sittings - early around 6pm and late around 7:45-8:30pm depending on the cruise line. You request to sit at a certain table size - 2, 4, 6, 8 - and sometimes your request will be granted. If you are seated at a large table you will usually have other people dining with you. Unless you time it just right there is usually a queue to enter the dining room. You are expected to turn up at the selected time and, on some ships, the dining room doors are closed after 20 minutes or so.

- Select / Anytime / Freedom dining. At least one MDR on most ships will be dedicated to this type of dining. You turn up at a time that suits you, request a table for one or two, or that you are happy at a shared table, and if/when a table is available you are seated. If you arrive at a busy time you might have to queue up and wait. Some ships don't have this type of dining.

Most ships also have speciality restaurants that cost extra. You make bookings, turn up at the booked time and are seated immediately. You are often able to make the bookings on the day you board, there is usually a table set up somewhere central doing these bookings, or you can go to the individual restaurants at certain times to make your bookings.

Was looking at the Ovation as there were some decent discounts. The ship rating is 52% though, that is terrible.

Can I just ask what you mean by the rating and where it comes from please? :confused:

Cruise critic member review rating = 52%

The big complaint seems to be the lines and everything being booked before you even get on board.

Seems they are doing away with those special suites that have the perks as of Jan. 17 the booking site said (For Feb cruises)

Most cruise lines have two types of Main Dining Room (MDR) dining:

- Traditional where you go to the same table in the same MDR at the same time each night. There are usually two sittings - early around 6pm and late around 7:45-8:30pm depending on the cruise line. You request to sit at a certain table size - 2, 4, 6, 8 - and sometimes your request will be granted. If you are seated at a large table you will usually have other people dining with you. Unless you time it just right there is usually a queue to enter the dining room. You are expected to turn up at the selected time and, on some ships, the dining room doors are closed after 20 minutes or so.

- Select / Anytime / Freedom dining. At least one MDR on most ships will be dedicated to this type of dining. You turn up at a time that suits you, request a table for one or two, or that you are happy at a shared table, and if/when a table is available you are seated. If you arrive at a busy time you might have to queue up and wait. Some ships don't have this type of dining.

Ovation, and the rest of Quantum class are ships that don't fit in the "most" above though, applying to the rest of the RCL line.

They don't have a Main dining room, but separate themed dining rooms with a fixed menu (instead of one that changes each night).

Also, their model is based around you making reservations, although you also can just rock up - but then may well join a lengthy queue. To complicate some things further there are other variants onboard e.g. DD classic.

Ovation, and the rest of Quantum class are ships that don't fit in the "most" above though, applying to the rest of the RCL line.

They don't have a Main dining room, but separate themed dining rooms with a fixed menu (instead of one that changes each night).

Also, their model is based around you making reservations, although you also can just rock up - but then may well join a lengthy queue. To complicate some things further there are other variants onboard e.g. DD classic.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. I don't take much notice of RCI these days. I was thinking more of Celebrity or Princess.

Doesn't P&O also have slightly different dining arrangements.

Anyway it seems the OP wants something that may be impossible to find - a cheap cruise on a ship big enough to have a solarium and with "private" dining with no queues. Celebrity Solstice Aqua class almost fits except on price (and availability).

A good TA might be able to find a suitable cabin on a Solstice cruise. Sometimes they have access to cabins even when a ship looks like it's sold out.

I checked the Celebrity UK site and it was showing a 2D verandah cabin on 17th Feb cruise, and I just checked an OZ online TA and it's also showing that one. The other day there was a Concierge cabin available.

I'd suggest checking Celebrity every few hours and pouncing if something pops up. It does happen. I got an IA guarantee on Princess last year by doing that.

Also final payment date for the February cruises isn't until later this year. For that cruise, which we're booked on, it's 9th December. Some cabins may pop up then.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Good point, I'd forgotten about that. I don't take much notice of RCI these days. I was thinking more of Celebrity or Princess.

Doesn't P&O also have slightly different dining arrangements.

Anyway it seems the OP wants something that may be impossible to find - a cheap cruise on a ship big enough to have a solarium and with "private" dining with no queues. Celebrity Solstice Aqua class almost fits except on price (and availability).

Only mentioned Ovation dining as the OP had referred to dining on it. P&O buffet is different, but they weren't looking at that. They do have regular MDR and speciality restaurants although they're not really walk up either. Speciality you need to book, and MDR you're best to book.

Agree that Solstice seems the most likely match, but it comes down on which requirement the OP is willing to be flexible on since they can't have them all.

Solstice isn't that expensive. It's on a par with Princess when you take everything into consideration, and book when the deals are on.

That's what the OP said: "Seems like I would like the Solstice but zero availability out of Sydney & it's mega expensive."

Perhaps the OP also considers Princess the same. Or that the OP wanted to book right now, which is not when many deals are on - as they said they didn't want to wait for the next year's sailings to be released.

Yes I called Celebrity directly and they had some verandas they weren't showing online. With the perks of free gratuities & free internet that got it down close to the ovation which was the lowest I saw & I priced everything but Carnival.

But yes it is expensive, most expensive trip we have ever taken & longest. So kind of scary there.

Seems to be the kind of ship that would be best for us. H won't be happy that there are restaurants or a lounge he can't use (those for suite passengers), but he'll have to get over it. And there are so many other choices.

She's a lovely ship and, really, you don't notice that those other restaurants are there most of the time. There is plenty of choice.

I think you'll really love the NZ itinerary, and you probably won't even notice the length of the cruise. Are you planning on spending any time in Auckland before/after your cruise?

Hmm posted from my cell doesn't seem to have gone through.

Yes booked the Solstice. The free gratuities and internet got it down close to the Ovation price which was the lowest I was looking at. I priced everything but Carnival.

H will like the smaller size rather than Ovation.

It is mega expensive but most of the Australia/NZ sailings were unless you went during shoulder season. It's the most expensive vacation I've every taken, but hey we're worth it- ha ha. Needless to say I've purchased the insurance.

Final payment is due the month my only daughter gets married. I will be sorely regretting it at that time, but not in January :cool:

Edited by LADinCT