First assigned boarding email and take telephoto to Baltic?

GeorgiaPeach51

We've sailed Celebrity previously, but we never received an assigned boarding time email until today. We are on the Eclipse out of Southampton on August 14 and the email stated that there is little seating, therefore passengers were asked to observe the assigned times. Failure to do so would result in being sent away until their assigned time arrived.

I have no problem with this, but just curious to see if that is a new norm or just for Southampton?

Also, my husband is the photographer in the family. For those who have done the Baltic previously he is wondering if it is worthwhile to bring a telephoto lens?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can reply!

Celebrity started this a while back. The intend is to spread the arrivals eliminating long lines & waits, particularly in ports where the terminals are cramped. I believe that these are suggested time. I personally have never seen anyone turned away but we tend to board closer to 1-1:30 avoiding the tge 11-12 rush.

We've sailed Celebrity previously, but we never received an assigned boarding time email until today. We are on the Eclipse out of Southampton on August 14 and the email stated that there is little seating, therefore passengers were asked to observe the assigned times. Failure to do so would result in being sent away until their assigned time arrived.

I have no problem with this, but just curious to see if that is a new norm or just for Southampton?

Also, my husband is the photographer in the family. For those who have done the Baltic previously he is wondering if it is worthwhile to bring a telephoto lens?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can reply!

Hey Mr and Mrs GP. Glad to see some neighbors will be joining us on this cruise. We also received the email. I plan to board as late as possible as I want to spend the morning hiking in the New Forest. I have also heard these times are treated as suggestions although I suppose you could be asked to return if it us before your time.

I'll report back on how the boarding goes in case it helps others out of Southampton. We plan to arrive when we are supposed to arrive, but I'll let you know how it goes for those who want or need to board earlier.

Makes sense to me, but our boarding is at a time that suits our schedule. Looking forward to the cruise! After a long string of M class ships, we are excited to go back to S class and are trying Aqua for the first time.

I'll do a review when we return. We are driving around Ireland for about 10 days after the cruise so the review will be a minute, but I'll get it done eventually!

Staggered boarding has been in effect in Southampton for a couple of summers, also is in use in.seattle and Amsterdam and probably elsewhere too, there are lots of threads about it, which a search should easily find. Basically it's a request, not a requirement

Edited by WestLakeGirl

Definitely take the telephoto lens, if for nothing else but the ceilings in Catherine's Palace, the Hermitage and the amazing mosaics in Church of the Spilled blood (St Petersburg). Then, of course, there are many beautiful spots to photograph in Ireland. We did this cruise in 2015, loved every minute.

Edited by TeaBag

OP, if you are Select status or above you should see in the notes re your boarding time that you can check in anytime from 11.30. In any case, we've departed from Southampton 5 times in three years and they have never enforced the boarding times. We've always been onboard by noon at the latest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We sailed on Eclipse on 17th July, as we were on deck 7 we were given a boarding time of 2.15. We stayed overnight in Southampton and had to check out at 11 so we made our way to the port and had no problem checking in at about 11.30 even though we are only classic members no one cared

Edited by Ebbwboy

I wouldn't take a long telephoto lens unless it was a good "walk around" zoom lens like a Canon 24-70 or 15-85. I think on that itinerary you'll have more opportunity to use a wide angle lens than a long telephoto.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're also on the Eclipse on 14th. We're getting the National Express Coach from London at 7am!!!! So will be in Southampton at approx 9am. Our boarding time is 12noon. We're meeting my sister and hubby who are staying in Southampton overnight, they are flying in from Dublin on the Saturday, so will meet at their hotel for a coffee and wait there for a while.

Definitely take the telephoto lens. We broke our 70-300mm whilst on holiday in Kerry in April, just bought a 18-270mm will be taking it with us.

Hope to meet up at the Meet & Greet. Have you all signed up on the Roll Call?

Mary

Edited by purdo