How many impacted by Delta Flights being grounded

4x4bob

I wonder how many people going out on a cruise and coming back home were stuck when Delta had to shut down their flights.?

It probably will be a week or two before people start to post here what their experience was.

Just hope that not too many missed a cruise while stuck in an airport someplace. Coming home is slightly different. Painful, but not as important.

BobR

That is why you should always get there 1 day in advance although this might not have helped in this case. I find it difficult to feel too sorry for the people who planned to fly in on the day of the cruise and then misses the cruise. Problems can occur at any time of the year and not just winter time as this episode shows.

DON

I wonder how many people going out on a cruise and coming back home were stuck when Delta had to shut down their flights.?

It probably will be a week or two before people start to post here what their experience was.

Just hope that not too many missed a cruise while stuck in an airport someplace. Coming home is slightly different. Painful, but not as important.

BobR

We have Delta in Jan. Hopefully there will be NO problems! I just can't imagine these idiots didn't have back up power! That's about what Georgia Power said on the news. A company like that should have a backup power supply to protect their comp.systems!

This is another reason we come down a day early(that and potential snowstorms)

A few weeks back it was Southwest airlines on July 20th and ultimately canceled about 2,300 flights over four days.

We are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale in November and are flying in 3 days early. Not everyone can do that, though. I know there was a time, with work, it would be impossible to fly in early because of limited vacation time.

Maybe more cruises that go out on Sunday to Sunday could help with those who have tighter schedules. We're considering retiring in an area we could actually drive to more cruise ports. We are lining up our priorities. :D

We have Delta in Jan. Hopefully there will be NO problems! I just can't imagine these idiots didn't have back up power! That's about what Georgia Power said on the news. A company like that should have a backup power supply to protect their comp.systems!

This is another reason we come down a day early(that and potential snowstorms)

From what I have seen the issue was not about backup power. The problem was due to the distribution system inside the building. Apparently Georgia Power did not lose power to the facility. Backup power does you no good when the problem is with the power control and distribution within the facility. (the Carnival ship problem a few years ago was not due to generator or motor failure, it was a problem with a fire in the main power distribution system. They had generators, just no way to get the power where it needed to go)

Having designed a few data centers you usually have multiple power conditioning units (with each computer tied to multiple power units in case of failure) with battery backup, with alternative power sources for use if the delay would outlast battery life. Have not seen anything to imply that Delta's data center did not have what is pretty much a standard design and has been for many years.

The question isn't why they lost power. Stuff does happen. The question is why they didn't have a backup data center. When the one in ATL went offline all the users should have switched over automatically to the backup site. I bet a CTO is on the unemployment line today.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

The question isn't why they lost power. Stuff does happen. The question is why they didn't have a backup data center. When the one in ATL went offline all the users should have switched over automatically to the backup site. I bet a CTO is on the unemployment line today.

I would expect because the equipment goes hand and hand with the personnel in their operations center. Having the data center without the operations personnel would not do much good. In this case their entire operations center was offline (atleast according to a couple of reports) I suspect that their time to repair would not be much different then their time to activate an offsite operations center.

I would expect their disaster recovery plans to have a plan for activation of a backup operations center in case of an incident such as a building fire that destroys the facility. Not sure what their criteria for activation would be, but I expect it would be only if the outage was expected to be a long one, not fairly quickly repairable.

The actual outage was less then 24 hours. More problems caused by planes being out of place once you had the first wave of cancellations.

It's very expensive to have a complete backup data center.

That is why you should always get there 1 day in advance although this might not have helped in this case. I find it difficult to feel too sorry for the people who planned to fly in on the day of the cruise and then misses the cruise. Problems can occur at any time of the year and not just winter time as this episode shows.

DON

You are so right. You never know what's going to happen.

Tony

Also very expensive to screw up the schedule for several days, cancel hundreds of flights with thousands of passengers, and keep tens of thousands of passengers from arriving at their destinations on time on the flights that are not cancelled.

Offline backup sites take more than a few hours to come up, even under ideal conditions, i.e. well planned, funded, fully & frequently tested.

What I don't understand is why so many areas of operation were confined to a single data center.

True enough. OTH, over 1,600 flights cancelled, several thousand more delayed and still counting. How much is that going to cost the company in hard costs? Not to mention goodwill.

Edited by broberts

DON

We ALWAYS fly in the day before-several years ago there was a huge northeastern snow storm and everything from New York north was canceled including our flight to Fll. By late Sat things were opening up and by Sunday all all was back to normal- Of course there were no seats open on Sunday for us but If we had booked originally for Sunday we would have been on or cruise instead of heading home