What cabin were you in when you received a Move Over offer?

MsSoCalCruiser

Mac-Daddy move over?.....:D:D:D

Bob

Hi Bob-

Here it is:

Here is what we gave up:

- 1 balcony for a 10 cruise to Indonesia (rountrip Singapore) on the Sapphire.

Here is what we received:

- 1 10 day cruise anywhere in the US, Mexico, Caribbean, or Canada in a full suite

- 1 15 day cruise anywhere in the world in a full suite

- change air fees to $300 (SA refunded our tickets in full)

- full cruise fare back in refundable OBC

Bonus

- They added another $500 on the ship (we have no idea)

- Extra dinner in the Crown- above the suite benefit.

It was really too good to pass up.

BTW- We have sailed the two cruises and everything that that Princess promised, they delivered plus more.

I was reading another thread about Move Over offers and it made me think about the Staterooms that were needed.

If you have received a Move Over offer what type of Stateroom were you in when you received the offer?

We were in a balcony, midship, and got a move over offer that bumped us up to a mini suite with a the large angular balcony on the Royal Princess.

We were also given more than the price of the original cruise in onboard credit, plus a specialty dining. We were told that if we didn't use all of the OBC that they would give us the balance. They did, and we didn't even have to ask for the balance.

Edited by redtogo

We were booked on the Golden Princess Christmas New Year 2015/2016 in an inside accessible cabin.

Surprisingly we were offered a move over offer which would could not accept as we had airfares to consider.

Offered

- up to 15 days cruise

- full cruise fare as refundable onboard credit

- $150 airfare change

IF we get offered the same this year - same dates and cruise but ex Auckland (we are boarding from home) we will probably take it. This time we have an accessible balcony on Caribe.

Edited by MargoK

Back in 2007 we were on the last 14-day Caribbean of the season with an interior. We were offered a balcony when the 14-day Caribbean cruises resumed the following October, $500 OBC, and $200 (I think) for airline change fees. Turned it down because Caribbean in April is much nicer than Caribbean in October. Also, our airfare was R/T to FLL. When the 14-day Caribbean's resumed in October the departure port would be either Bridgetown, Barbados, or Jamaica. The $200 would not have covered the increase in airfare.

In 2013 on a 8-day United Kingdom cruise (early August) we had an interior. If we would change to a late August/first week of September we would be upgraded to a cabin category "Up to a mini-suite" (Didn't like the sound of that, as it sounded like it could have been an OV). Half of one cruise fare refunded as OBC (We had paid so little for our cabin it wasn't that much). As we had EZAir the airfare part was taken care of. Turned it down because we already had our tickets to the Tattoo and the dates they offered the Tattoo was sold out on the night the ship was docked in Edinburgh, and the ship had run out of their allotment of tickets. Wasn't missing the Tattoo for anything, the deal wasn't that great, and DH would have missed the Labor Day sales at his store.

In March 2015 we took an upsell offer from mini to vista suite for $799 each. It was a 17 day trans-Atlantic.

We just took an upsell for a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise from mini to vista suite for $599 each.

In September 2014 we took a move over offer, inside to balcony, full cost of inside reimbursed as refundable obc and $150 towards air change. We took the move over cruise in September 2015.

Thank you for that! It was pretty stunning... And I am not sure if I will ever see anything like that again in my life.

You're welcome! Thank you for sharing the details of your Mac-daddy offer. I showed my friend and we were making plans in case it ever happened to us. I know that probably won't happen to us but it's fun to dream :D

• 2 weeks later...

We have been offered it only once. The new cruise would have put us in the Mediterranean during 9/11. We turned it down because we had a comped room at the Atlantis resort in Nassau for the new week. Still out of the country when it happened but it wasn't nearly as scary as being across the world would have been.

The offer was from a balcony to a balcony. I don't remember what the offered incentives were though.

The how and why should be fairly obvious to most...but, just in case, here's the explanation:

When Princess firsts posts a cruise, every cabin on the ship, in every category, goes up on the board. Every cruise is a little different, so the patterns vary, but, basically, some categories sell quicker than others...usually the very lowest priced inside and the very lowest priced balconies...(Of course, often suites may sell out quickly as they are in limited supply)...So, at some point, they may have lots of ICs and IDs left, but be completely sold out on IFs...

But, since there are still so many cabins on the ship unsold, they will continue to sell IFs...But, rather than being able to choose your cabin, you now get that "To be assigned prior to cruise". What is really happening is that they have 1,500 cabins on the ship...they've only booked 400 of them, but ALL of the IFs are spoken for among those 400. Rather than scare people away, they still want to be able to offer the advertised lowest fares, so they book these as "guarantees". They also know that, between booking and sail date, and especially just prior to final payment date, lots of bookings cancel...

They also know that, in the end, say an IF is selling for $999 per person and an IE is selling for $1,039 per person, they don't really care all that much about moving someone up a category and passing on that extra $80 a cabin. Of course, if they can "upsell" it instead--offer to move them "up" for an additional $50 a cabin, they're not even giving up that much...

What they really want to do is to have EXACTLY 1,500 bookings by the sail date...the categories don't matter, they can sort it all out in the end when they go to make those final cabin assignments...

Of course, in order to have exactly 1,500 is difficult...Since some cancel at the last minute, they really want to have slightly more than 1,500...

But, when they get past that final payment date, they start to massage that assignment list...Since they've booked so many "guaranties" (to be assigned) bookings in some categories, they either have to move people to make room or else assign people above their guarantee booking level...If they have plenty of, say, mini-suites and too many balcony bookings, they will offer upsells to some of those balcony bookings to make room...When they've finally upsold as many people as they can to fill in the higher categories, they'll throw their hands up and just upgrade some folks...

If all works out, they've got 1,500 bookings and have shuffled people into those 1,500 cabins...

NOW, here's where those incredible deals come in: Sometimes, in playing these games, they figure on taking 1,510 bookings, knowing that their experience over the years is to expect about 10 bookings to cancel just before embarkation...and, usually, it all works out...But, they are playing the odds. Sometimes, only five drop out last minute...So now, they are stuck...they have five customers who booked and paid for their cruise and nowhere to put them. They cannot just screw these folks over and kick them off the cruise...So, they really have to wheel and deal. Think...you have them by the whatevers...They MUST move someone off this cruise...So, that's where they start to offer those "too good to be true" deals...Everyone has a price...and often it's something like "two free cruises in a suite" or better...

But, you really have to be lucky to get that...You have to be on one of those few cruises where the projections really go wrong...and you have to be the one guy they get to when they are running out of options...and that's one out of 1,500 on that rare cruise...

It's never happened to me...but I have gotten great upsell offers and I have gotten free upgrades...

We were in a balcony, midship, and got a move over offer that bumped us up to a mini suite with a the large angular balcony on the Royal Princess.

We were also given more than the price of the original cruise in onboard credit, plus a specialty dining. We were told that if we didn't use all of the OBC that they would give us the balance. They did, and we didn't even have to ask for the balance.

Princess also took care of rebooking our hotel and airplane tickets. They absorbed all fees and penalties.

Princess called us on Friday night at 7:30 PM. We a were scheduled to fly out the next morning. But, it was such a good deal that we said yes and unpacked.

When you get up sell/upgrade offers. How do they come? By phone or email or other?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They called us on the move over offer. They emailed us on the up sells that we have received. We have had several offered.

In the email, is a phone number. When you call you may not get the Princess representative immediately, but you are placed on a list. Calls are returned in the order that the passengers responded. So if you return the call at 6 PM and I return the call at 6:10PM, Princess will call you back first. But you have to answer the phone. If not, they call the next person on the list.

We have had two upsell offers which we accepted gladly both times.

The first was on the Diamond Princess for our cruise in Japan in 2014. We had a covered mini suite and we were offered an upsell for a very small amount to a full suite. It was a no brainer and we loved all the extra perks .Even though we are Elite, there is still a lot more perks on offer.

The second was when we were doing the Singapore to Cape Town cruise in 2015 - 35 days - on the Ocean Princess. Again we were in a Mini and we were offered an upsell to a beautiful Aft suite on Deck 7. We didn't think twice about that even though it cost us an extra $3500AUD as it was a long cruise and the suites on those little ships are fantastic.

We were contacted both times by email. On the cruise around Japan it came directly from Princess as I had booked with them and for the second cruise, our TA sent us the email.

You do need to get onto it as soon as you receive the notification as they do send them out to quite a few passengers. If we are ever offered another upsell again, I wouldn't think twice. We always book a mini, so we can only go up to a Suite and the perks are just wonderful.

Jennie

Edited by Aussie Gal

We were happy as we were due to sail a week's cruise on a balcony and were given the opportunity of anywhere in the world to the end of the following year and an up grade to a mini suite without additional charge, plus our cruise cost back in OBC and what we do not spend will be returned to us. It took us all of 1 second to accept the deal on offer.

A few years ago we received this move over offer. We live in Florida. So the night before we sailed we got a phone call. We are overbooked. So they gave us this offer. Move us to the brand new ship the Royal. We had the Plaza Deck Inside. Move over to Deluxe Balcony. Here is wow part. They gave us

$1000 credit! When we booked it they let us recieved $500 now and the rest onboard credit. What we did not use we got back in cash.

Wow was that ever a once in a lifetime deal or what! God really blessed us!

While we have had a couple of move-over offers while we were working, we couldn't take advantage. One thing about these - you have to decide very quickly, and often we could not rearrange vacation from our 2 jobs that fast.

However in May 2008 we got a great offer. We were booked on a guarantee with a stern balcony cabin on Pacific Princess II assigned - the cruise was in the Med, out of Rome. 3 days before the cruise we got an offer: any other cruise, Mini-suite, plus a very generous refundable OBC. Because we had non-refundable Princess air bookings, they rebooked for us with no change fees.

What we got was a 12 day Aegean/Egypt cruise in October, cheaper airfare (we got a refund), the mini-suite cabin and the OBC. This was a "bucket list" cruise for us that we wouldn't have been able to afford without this offer. The OBC was large enough we walked off the ship with cash in our pocket from unused OBC.

Thanks again, Princess !!!!

I wonder what number shows up? I don't answer calls from unknown numbers. Do you think they would leave a message?

They do leave a message. In the message it will have the phone number for you to call. It is not the standard 1-800-PRINCESS phone number. On our phone's caller ID, I think it still displayed that it was from a Princess number, just not 1-800-PRINCESS.

They do leave a message. In the message it will have the phone number for you to call. It is not the standard 1-800-PRINCESS phone number. On our phone's caller ID, I think it still displayed that it was from a Princess number, just not 1-800-PRINCESS.

Thank you. This is good to know.