What cabin were you in when you received a Move Over offer?

MsSoCalCruiser

I was reading another thread about Move Over offers and it made me think about the Staterooms that were needed.

If you have received a Move Over offer what type of Stateroom were you in when you received the offer?

When we were on the Golden last year our kids who were booked in an inside cabin got the offer. I rang and asked if they would offer it to the whole family (we were in a balcony) but Princess said no.

Trish

One time I was in a mini suite- offered a move over to a full suite on a cruise the following year. We did not take it.

The other time, I was in a balcony- and that would be the (infamous) Mac-Daddy move over- we did take that one!

On the Diamond we booked a mini-suite. Offered an upgrade to a big (two room suite no less) PLUS a $500 on board credit. To get this we had to postpone our cruise for three weeks. We took it!!

What causes the "Move Over" offer? Are they overselling the entire ship hoping people will cancel and that doesn't happen? Or are they allowing special folks cabins at the last minute? ????

Every cruise is intentionally slightly overbooked, because like airlines, there are usually enough last minute cancelations for everything to work out. When there are not as many cancelations as expected, that is when you start to hear about moveover offers.

We had booked an inside cabin on the one cruise where we received a move-over offer. (Currently it's a Cat. IF on the Sun Princess, the lowest category. I don't remember what the category was 10 years ago when we sailed, but it probably was still the lowest category.) Our cruise was a 10-day holiday cruise (over Christmas but not New Year's).

We've only gotten a move over offer once, but it was a doozy! We were booked for 16 days on Pacific Princess in a balcony, and they offered us a mini-suite on the same ship 2 months later for a 21 day cruise, with our full cruise fare given back as OBC, plus $500 to help with airfare change fees. It was an awesome deal and I would have loved to have taken it, but unfortunately we had many issues that required us to sail at the time we had planned. We weren't able to move our dates. It still makes me sad, thinking about that awesome offer we couldn't accept, even though it was over a decade ago!

I think the better question would be what type of cruise were you on? Was it a unique cruise? I noticed one of the above posters indicating theirs was during Christmas....

I'm pretty confident that move over offers will happen on our cruise to Alaska in 2018, as it's round-trip from Los Angeles and the first of its kind...

A couple of years ago on the Emerald to Norway, we were in a BC balcony on the Lido deck. At the time we booked they had a sale where you could pick any balcony for the same price (haven't seen those in a while :rolleyes:). A couple days before our cruise Princess called me (even tho I had booked that one through a TA) and asked if I would Move Over to a "lower grade" balcony on the same cruise. They gave me the cabin numbers and one of them was a BD on the Caribe deck! They offered some very nice Refundable OBC to make the move. Ummmm....let me think... a bigger balcony....nice OBC.... um...YES!!!! :D

Some might call this a "Move Down" offer, but the folio did say "Move Over".

I suspect they had offered Guarantee balconies at BC level in order to charge more close to the cruise time and then needed to move us to a lower category to satisfy the Guarantee of BC or better.

THANKS Princess!!!!

Now this was way back in 2000 (sixteen years ago *gulp*) but only a few days after making final payment on an inside cabin to Alaska we were offered a total of $700 OBC and an oceanview cabin to move to two weeks later. Nowhere near the value of the time and effort it would have taken to change my vacation dates at work.

Offered move-over from inside cabin to mini-suite on an Alaska cruise. Same week, just southbound instead of northbound - and Princess took care of flight changes as I had booked air through Princess. Of course, I accepted the offer!

I think the better question would be what type of cruise were you on? Was it a unique cruise? I noticed one of the above posters indicating theirs was during Christmas....

I'm pretty confident that move over offers will happen on our cruise to Alaska in 2018, as it's round-trip from Los Angeles and the first of its kind...

I'm also thinking that it may be a possibility that we will receive move over offers on our round-trip Los Angeles to Alaska cruise. As excited as we are for this cruise, if we were offered something like TracieABD was offered, we would jump on it in a heartbeat.

One time I was in a mini suite- offered a move over to a full suite on a cruise the following year. We did not take it.

The other time, I was in a balcony- and that would be the (infamous) Mac-Daddy move over- we did take that one!

Mac-Daddy move over?.....:D:D:D

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

Thank you all for your replies. I really enjoyed reading about your offers. I've never received one but I hope to someday and when I do, I want it to be just like TracieABDs Mac-Daddy Move Over :D

Thank you for that! It was pretty stunning... And I am not sure if I will ever see anything like that again in my life.