Gratuities

susan1957

Could someone please tell me....how much gratuities does Norwegian add to your final bill before you get off the ship, many thanks

How much are the service charges:

• $13.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

• Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

How much are the service charges:

• $13.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 USD per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

• Guests sailing to Hawaii will be charged an additional 4.275% Pre Paid Service Charge GET Tax

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

https://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

To OP: these are added per person on a daily basis, not in a lump sum at end of cruise. That is why printout can be lengthy.

To OP: these are added per person on a daily basis, not in a lump sum at end of cruise. That is why printout can be lengthy.

You don't pay the service charge, or any other on board charge for that matter, until the end of the cruise if you're using a credit or debit card to pay for your account, and I'll eat my hat if the OP doesn't know that...which is why they worded the question the way they did.

Edited by njhorseman

You don't pay the service charge, or any other on board charge for that matter, until the end of the cruise if you're using a credit or debit card to pay for your account, and I'll eat my hat if the OP doesn't know that...which is why they worded the question the way they did.

Semantics. The OP adked how much is ADDED to the final bill but NCL doesn't add the charges to the final bill. They add them daily. If you ask for a printout of your bill on the 5th day of a cruise there will already be four days of service charges on it, even though it is not the finall bill.

Edited by NMLady

Semantics. The OP adked how much is ADDED to the final bill but NCL doesn't add the charges to the final bill. They add them daily. If you ask for a printout of your bill on the 5th day of a cruise there will already be four days of service charges on it, even though it is not the finall bill.

Yes, they are charged daily.

• 2 weeks later...

Having just returned from a sailing, I must say that I was shocked to see/hear how many people only rely on this daily service charge/prepaid gratituties fee and do not go out of their way to provide additional cash gratuities to a cabin steward or a restaurant waiter/maitre dmwho was especially helpful.

These folks work very hard at tough jobs for a nominal salary - if my few extra dollars to thank them for their hard work and attention can help make somebody's day brighter, Especially when they are on the ship 8 months straigh working 7 days a week, then I am all for doing that and hope others do as well.

Having just returned from a sailing, I must say that I was shocked to see/hear how many people only rely on this daily service charge/prepaid gratituties fee and do not go out of their way to provide additional cash gratuities to a cabin steward or a restaurant waiter/maitre dmwho was especially helpful.

These folks work very hard at tough jobs for a nominal salary - if my few extra dollars to thank them for their hard work and attention can help make somebody's day brighter, Especially when they are on the ship 8 months straigh working 7 days a week, then I am all for doing that and hope others do as well.

Extra on top of 18%!!!!! :mad:

Yes! If I can afford to cruise I can certainly afford to reward good service. I always tip my cabin steward $20 on the first day and at least another $20 at the end depending on their service. I keep $1 bills with my key card for good bar service too. I enjoy adding a little extra acknowledgement of how hard they work. It is a job I wouldn't be able to do.

Extra on top of 18%!!!!! :mad:

Yes, since that is the standard for good service. So if you've received excellent service, at least 20 percent would be appropriate. And it is nice to make others who work so hard feel happy. I recommend everyone try it.;)

I guess i would have been one to shock you. My first cruise i prepaid my gratuities and thought nothing more of it. I didn't realize it was expected above nd beyond the 18% . I tip now for room service and tipped one waiter who was just plain friendly even though we never had him serve us. Never having same waitstaff twice made it awkward until i figured out to take cash with us to dine.

Yes, since that is the standard for good service. So if you've received excellent service, at least 20 percent would be appropriate. And it is nice to make others who work so hard feel happy. I recommend everyone try it.;)

But we have to pay 18% for everything and that includes poor and bad too. And what about no service, when you ask for something to be done for you on board and nothing happens. Do you expect a refund from someone who gives you no, poor or bad service?

And whose standard? In New Zealand we don't expect to give nor receive tips as we expect to pay an agreed price so that workers get a decent wage which is built into the cost of all goods and services.

I would love to see cruise prices include this figure (18%) and then the workers paid a living wage. Then tipping could be for service over and above the normal accepted service.

And you wonder why OP hasn't returned to post. :rolleyes:

And you all wonder why it's just you all bantering back and forth. :D

.... For years...... lol. Who else would it be. :rolleyes:

I hope you all realize it's just you all,... yes, you all, ... 12 posters, posting over and over, over. :D

How many angles are there regarding onboard gratuities?

Didn't post # 2 answer the question?

You all amuse me.

CC and you all need help IMO.

Be nice to newbies, actually answer the newbie questions, and be courteous about it. Then you may gain new posters to abuse.

JMO

If I go to the cruise planner and pre-purchase the gratuities, the charge is only $12.95. I thought this is the old charge and they increased it to $13.50, as it states in FAQ. Does anyone know if this is a glitch?

If you booked over a year ago (between March 2015 and August 2015), you can pre-pay your service charge at the previous rate of $12.95 per person per day (for non-suite staterooms).

That's it. Now I kind of remember reading something about that, but it's been a while since I followed up.

Thanks!

But we have to pay 18% for everything and that includes poor and bad too. And what about no service, when you ask for something to be done for you on board and nothing happens. Do you expect a refund from someone who gives you no, poor or bad service?

And whose standard? In New Zealand we don't expect to give nor receive tips as we expect to pay an agreed price so that workers get a decent wage which is built into the cost of all goods and services.

I would love to see cruise prices include this figure (18%) and then the workers paid a living wage. Then tipping could be for service over and above the normal accepted service.

I'm confused, where are you paying 18% for everything other than for drinks, specialty dining and spa treatments? Are you saying that if someone spends $6,000 for their 10 day cruise, they should be paying $1,080 in tips instead of the $155.00 per person that is the DSC, as well as for any extra choice items that carry the 18% service charge. Are you saying that instead of paying the $155 per person for a 10 day cruise, NCL should raise all fares by 18% and in this example it would be $1,080 more? What if that person never intended on purchasing drinks, specialty dining or spa treatments? They should be penalized and have to pay 18% of their cruise?

There are things that you do in New Zealand that I don't do here in the United States, but if it is customary in New Zealand, I'll be more than happy to do it when there. Same with the cruise lines, what is customary on the ships, might not be customary where someone lives, but hopefully they abide by them just as others abide by customs in their country.

Again, why are you advocating adding 18% to everyone's fares, don't you think that is a little drastic? Also, since many of the all the cruise lines' employees have been with them for many, many years, I don't think they would be working there if they weren't getting a living wage under the current system.

Edited by NLH Arizona

You can remove them and pay cash as you go along. That's what I did since I had already paid the gratuity in my 7 night specialty dinner package and didn't want to double tip. I just used cash for breakfast and lunch and the room steward. I found the cash was well received and service was better then previously when I didn't use cash.

You can remove them and pay cash as you go along. That's what I did since I had already paid the gratuity in my 7 night specialty dinner package and didn't want to double tip. I just used cash for breakfast and lunch and the room steward. I found the cash was well received and service was better then previously when I didn't use cash.

I don't think they allow you to remove them anymore. You have to pay them, fill out a form and then get a refund sometime after your cruise.

Well the short answer is that you most certainly are not paying 18% for everything. The long answer is , well you are not in New Zealand, so you should try following the different customs. But of course you may not tip anybody 1 penny extra because they should live in New Zealand and adhere to your tipping rules.:mad: And it is not expected, simply a nice thing to do , as I stated.

This is the usual, depends what part of the world you come from argument on the approach to tipping.

Being British (living in Spain) when we first started cruising 10 years or so ago I used to take the very British approach that you can't pay for service before you receive it and take cash to give out at the end of the cruise. However I soon realised I was making a rod for my own back and now (Wherever possible) prepay prior with my final balance. On top of that we do reward specific staff where exceptional service has been received usually the Cabin Attendant and any regular MDR waiters plus the odd barman here and there. We've just returned from a P & O cruise and tips were a very reasonable UK£5.50 pp per day and only payable by adults as we had our 8 year old grandson with us and the MDR staff were amazing with him they so they were well rewarded .