Ship Board Credit (SBC)

SC_GAY_Cruiser

Ok folks, coming to the experts. Even though I have been on many cruises, have never used the SBC and am considering this time.

I do understand the process is logging onto HAL with my booking number, and purchasing through the site in certain incrementals, $5, $25, $100, etc.

I am 6 months out from my cruise on the King, so I thought I would simply go on line and purchase $100/month each month. Therefore, I would have $600 of SBC when I board.

Questions:

1) Its sort of like using this as a savings account but not receiving interest on it. But out of sight and out of mind, its a way of savings. Is this a fair way of looking at it?

2) Assuming the $600 SBC, do I still need to have a credit card charge/hold to cover on board expenses? I understand that if the $600 is used before the end of the cruise, the ramifications.

3) If you do not use the full SBC, when and how long does it take to get a refund? But I dont expect there to be much!

4) I will have an OBC and SBC. Will the OBC be charged first? On your mid cruise bill update, does it split these two out so you know for sure OBC is being used first?

5) For those who have used the SBC, any regrets?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

dave

To what are you referring as SBC?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

After booking a cruise, you can purchase on board credit to pay for drinks, spa, premium restaurants, anything and everything.

Its sort of like paying ahead for what your going to spend later. Maybe sort of like "layaway".

The money you deposit will be combined with any on board credit (OBC) and will be used to pay down your final bill, we have done this in the past and it helps reduce 'sticker shock' at the end of the cruise. Not sure when a refund will come, the only time I had one is when we didn't go ashore and a month or so after the cruise my credit card received a port fee refund.

You will still be required to provide a credit card to cover your account on most cruise lines when or before you board.

It may be worthwhile to visit the Front Office while you are aboard to ensure your account will be handled the way you want. Do this early on the second day as the first day has long lines.

I don't buy any shipboard credits.

BUT -- I on the second day of the cruise I do request a copy of our shipboard account to make certain that all the shipboard credit that we are due shows up -- I take a copy of the confirmation from our TA showing the total of the shipboard credits.

And I do check every couple of days to make certain everything is okay.

No -- HAL does not list separately where all the different shipboard credits come from -- just a lump sum.

Yes -- you will still have to register a credit card or drop by the front desk and deposit a enough money (besides your shipboard credit) to the amount of $60 per person per day for the entire cruise.

Any shipboard you have left over is refunded to you either by a credit card or cash. HAL prefers a credit card.

Ok folks, coming to the experts. Even though I have been on many cruises, have never used the SBC and am considering this time.

I do understand the process is logging onto HAL with my booking number, and purchasing through the site in certain incrementals, $5, $25, $100, etc.

I am 6 months out from my cruise on the King, so I thought I would simply go on line and purchase $100/month each month. Therefore, I would have $600 of SBC when I board.

Questions:

1) Its sort of like using this as a savings account but not receiving interest on it. But out of sight and out of mind, its a way of savings. Is this a fair way of looking at it? I think so.

2) Assuming the $600 SBC, do I still need to have a credit card charge/hold to cover on board expenses? I understand that if the $600 is used before the end of the cruise, the ramifications. I believe so. Some say they have had the hold waived or reduced,but if you run out,you will be called down. We have OBC and just use the credit card. Somehow,we never have enough ;)

3) If you do not use the full SBC, when and how long does it take to get a refund? But I dont expect there to be much! They refund right away. so you should see it on your credit card in a couple of days (another reason you need to register a credit card)

4) I will have an OBC and SBC. Will the OBC be charged first? On your mid cruise bill update, does it split these two out so you know for sure OBC is being used first? No, they don't show which is being used. But HAL seems to use the non refundable first which is very fair ball.

5) For those who have used the SBC, any regrets?none. It saves sticker shock when I get off and since we are also subject to exchange rates at least I can "choose" the worst case scenario rather than be stuck with the rate in a moment of time. It also helps me to budget for the cruise ;)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

dave

I replied to you above in red -hope it helps a bit.

We purchase OBC (or SBC as you are calling it) on a regular basis along with pre-booking our dinners in specialty restuarants and the odd shore excursion.

Some say why do it but for us it has worked out well andin view of interest rates, there really is not much point in "saving" the $ to pay later IMO.

Edited by kazu

SBC stands for Signature Beverage Card, a system of getting a deal on drinks. What you're referring to is simply self-purchased On Board Credit (OBC) which is lumped together with OBC from the cruise line, from your TA and anywhere else. OBC from the cruise line is used first at cash-out, any leftover OBC will be refunded to the Credit Card you've registered for your cabin.

We were on the Westerdam about a week ago. As others have said, HAL will want $60/person/day for on board purchases and refund whatever you don't use. What I discovered when I returned home, they had only put a credit card hold on the difference between my OBC and the required deposit. IE, 2 people, 7 days, $60 = $840. Less my OBC of $360 resulted in a credit card hold of $480. Hope this helps.

You will still be required to provide a credit card to cover your account on most cruise lines when or before you board.

No, you do NOT have to register a credit card on HAL. You simply go on a cash basis. And many people have reported that the cash deposit at check-in may be less than the $60/p/d. Edited by jtl513

YES I believe you are doing the right thing. This will be the first time we have "pre-purchased" SBC...ship board credit as well as having OBC...on-board credit that we received from our travel agent. We are going on a very long and expensive cruise next March and I am the type that likes everything paid up front as I can so we can RELAX, enjoy the cruise to it's fullest and not worry about how much everything is costing.

We have $830 OBC from TA coming (of which it will all go towards gratuities), PLUS $475 add'l OBC for different reasons and I purchased two $100 beverage cards and changed my mind after that to just pre-pay for ANYTHING with SBC. So now I have added another $700 for ANYTHING...knowing we can order all those drinks....lol for a 33 day cruise....yikes!! So YES purchase those $100 every month...you will be glad you did!

We get nothing for interest in the bank so that means nothing to me and would much prefer paying down as much then the mere pennies we may "lose". Kasu said everything that I was thinking and so I WOULD recommend buying down as much as you want and it WILL go back on the credit card any un-used (yea right) monies you paid or travel agent gave :D

Have an awesome time on your cruise!!!!!!!!!!!!

My experience having done this over a dozen times.

1. Yes it is like depositing money into a savings account. Most savings accounts pay little or no interest, so that part is a wash.

2. When you do your on line check in select cash. When you check in the representative will mention that you do not have a credit card registered. You replay that you have enough OBC and that will end it.

3. Starting around 8pm the last night of the cruise you can close out your account. Be aware that when you do that, no more can be purchased on the ship unless you have a Signature Beverage Card for drinks. My excess OBC has always been refunded in cash, but I have seen others state that it can be applied to a credit card.

4. As mentioned, all your OBC shows as a credit. It has always appeared to me that as long as you spend more than your non-refundable credit there is no problem.

5. I use this method on all my cruises, so you can tell I have no regrets. When you leave the ship, all bills are paid - you owe nothing more. They don't have a credit card to charge additional amounts to.

edit to add:

If you buy OBC credit in advance it will still count towards any credit card points or miles you may participate in - to the full amount you purchase not what you spend. If you get a refund, the points or miles will still be there.

Skimming thru the answers again, I must emphasise that as long as you are close to the $60/day/person you will NOT have to register a credit card.

Again, I have done exactly this over the last six or seven years and many cruises without a problem.

See you on the Konigsdam in 6 months!

Rich

Edited by richwmn

Are you currently booked directly with Holland America? If so, you could transfer the booking to a travel agent who rebates back a portion of their commission in the form of onboard credit. You'd probably end up with your $600 to spend on the ship for nothing spent.

Yes I am booked but haven't made final payment yet. And I did my original booking from that big warehouse in Seattle and got a very good deal and some OBC from them as well as HAL.

And basically I know what I will be purchasing as far as liquor packages, premium restaurants and just want to budget and plan everything now as well as pay for it.

SBC stands for Signature Beverage Card, a system of getting a deal on drinks. What you're referring to is simply self-purchased On Board Credit (OBC) which is lumped together with OBC from the cruise line, from your TA and anywhere else. OBC from the cruise line is used first at cash-out, any leftover OBC will be refunded to the Credit Card you've registered for your cabin.

then it might have two meanings.....on the HAL website, its known as Shipboard Credit. Thats why I called it SBC. Just like OBC is Onboard Credit.

then it might have two meanings.....on the HAL website, its known as Shipboard Credit. Thats why I called it SBC. Just like OBC is Onboard Credit.

Not your fault - HAL really seems to like confusing terms for people...

Not your fault - HAL really seems to like confusing terms for people...

so now I have another question.......if I buy some ship board credit, can I purchase liquor packages, spa, premium dinners, etc prior to boarding and use this credit or do I need to wait till I am on board to use it?

dave

so now I have another question.......if I buy some ship board credit, can I purchase liquor packages, spa, premium dinners, etc prior to boarding and use this credit or do I need to wait till I am on board to use it?

dave

You will need to wait until you are on board. A credit card will be required to purchase any of the items above.

There really is no "Signature Beverage Card" so to speak. It is known as "Signature Beverage Package".

When HAL first introduced the inclusive beverage package they issued a card for this separate from your cabin/charge card. They've upgraded their accounting systems so that you only use your cabin/charge card now; it "knows" you have the beverage package.

What if you deposited the money through the year until your cruise but for some unforeseen reason, you had to cancel the cruise totally, what would happen to the money you've deposited??

The money would be refunded, or could be used toward another cruise.

There really is no "Signature Beverage Card" so to speak. It is known as "Signature Beverage Package".

When HAL first introduced the inclusive beverage package they issued a card for this separate from your cabin/charge card. They've upgraded their accounting systems so that you only use your cabin/charge card now; it "knows" you have the beverage package.

You are, of course, technically correct. But here on CC, it seems, the SBC abbreviation lingers on. Perhaps it's something we do simply to irritate the young folk, like "dialing" a phone :)

As a just for your info type thing......talked to HAL today.

If you do add money to a ship board account prior to your cruise, HAL suggested I change my account from a credit/debit card to a cash basis. In my example, if I were to add $600 of ship board credit which is well more than would be put on "hold" with my credit card, your credit card will still have a hold placed on the amount even though your ship board credit is adequate.

I can make the final decision whether to use cash or credit/debit card at time of boarding.

dave

As a just for your info type thing......talked to HAL today.

If you do add money to a ship board account prior to your cruise, HAL suggested I change my account from a credit/debit card to a cash basis. In my example, if I were to add $600 of ship board credit which is well more than would be put on "hold" with my credit card, your credit card will still have a hold placed on the amount even though your ship board credit is adequate.

I can make the final decision whether to use cash or credit/debit card at time of boarding.

dave

If you change your account to cash in the pre boarding docs there is no place to put a credit card number. When you check in, they will mention that you don't have a card on file. If you have enough OBC you tell them you have enough cash they will let you go, no credit card number on file == no possibility of a hold.