Buy Bottle of Alcohol Onboard For Our Cabin

candydane

Seems like I remember we used to be able to buy a bottle of alcohol at a bar to take back to our room. Is this still the case?

If so, does anyone know how much for Jack Daniels?

Edited by candydane

I don't think you can buy a bottle of alcohol at the bar but as 'itcal94' posted it's possible to pre-order it. Also on the ship you can order alcohol from room service and either way it cost about $18+ for a 375 mL bottle from their limited selection of these smaller bottles for your cabin.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I don't think you can buy a bottle of alcohol at the bar but as 'itcal94' posted it's possible to pre-order it. Also on the ship you can order alcohol from room service and either way it cost about $18+ for a 375 mL bottle from their limited selection of these smaller bottles for your cabin.

I think only 375ml bottle can be pre-ordered online.

Seems like I remember we used to be able to buy a bottle of alcohol at a bar to take back to our room. Is this still the case?

You can "gift" yourself a bottle of alcohol while still at home. It will be in your cabin when you arrive. I have done this myself.

These are the prices from the Princess website for the 375 ml bottles. $27.60 for Jack Daniels.

SPIRITS

Cognac

Courvoisier VSOP 350ml bottle Item #2345 $32.20

Bourbon

Jim Beam 375ml bottle Item #2335 $17.25

Crown Royal 375ml bottle Item #2333 $23.00

Jack Daniel's 375ml bottle Item #2334 $27.60

Scotch

Cutty Sark (375ml bottle) Item #2341 $17.25

Johnnie Walker Red Label 375ml bottle Item #2340 $25.30

Vodka

Skyy 375ml bottle Item #2353 $17.25

Absolut 375ml bottle Item #2352 $20.70

Rum

Bacardi White 375ml bottle Item #2359 $17.25

Cruzan Coconut Rum 375ml bottle Item #2360 $17.25

Gin

Gordon's 375ml bottle Item #2367 $17.25

Bombay Sapphire 375ml bottle Item #2366 $23.00

I don't drink, but both my husband and adult son commented the selection was VERY limited- especially for scotch whisky.

The scotch selection is horrible!We like a drink or two, on our balcony before dinner, but Princess will only sell us our brand of choice(Dewers)in airplane bottle form at $5 a piece.We have been taking some longer cruises(over 3 weeks)lately and have been sailing on HAL as they will sell us a liter of Dewars for $55.Princess has lost 10's of thousands of business because of their liquor sales policy.You would think that since they are paired with HAL now that they would change their policies.

The scotch selection is horrible!We like a drink or two, on our balcony before dinner.

Us too, and it's painful to pay that much for just JW Red. I can make do with a glass of the two bottles of wine we bring onboard, but DH would love to have a decent scotch before dinner.

• 9 months later...
You can "gift" yourself a bottle of alcohol while still at home. It will be in your cabin when you arrive. I have done this myself.

The bottle itself will NOT be in the room when you arrive due to them making sure a person 21 or older is there to accept it. What you will get is a coupon in your room that you call room service to redeem.

I remember being able to do this. You could buy a liter for $30. Those days are long gone. It's probably been 10 or more years since you could buy a bottle from a bar on board. Now they only allow you to buy the 375 mil bottles. That's equivalent to 7-1/2 of the mini bottles.

I remember being able to do this. You could buy a liter for $30. Those days are long gone. It's probably been 10 or more years since you could buy a bottle from a bar on board. Now they only allow you to buy the 375 mil bottles. That's equivalent to 7-1/2 of the mini bottles.

The last cruise I remember doing this was in 2006.

The last cruise I remember doing this was in 2006.

That sounds about right. I think this changed after a drunken incident on Carnival and all the Lawyers got involved and decided it wouldn't be prudent to allow people to buy liters of booze on board. Of course now they sell the All Inclusive Beverage Package instead.

The selection is not good. The price is not good. However... It is cheaper to buy room service liquor - even at the crazy prices - than it is to purchase drinks in the bar. If you are OK with the limited selection and want to drink in your room it still works out OK. Don't try to compare pricing with what you see on land. Give it up and only compare it to buying drinks onboard. The main issue I have with the room service liquor menu is the lack of a decent Scotch. Cutty Sark and Johnny Walker Red may be OK if you are mixing it with coke or something but that kind of defeats the purpose of Scotch.They don't really offer a good Bourbon either but many seem to think Jack Daniels is good Bourbon. (Yes, it's officially sold as a Tennessee Whiskey but it has all the qualifications to make it a Bourbon and is sold by Princess as such.) I can drink JD and even Jim Beam if that is all that is available but I prefer other brands.

The bottom line is that one can purchase small bottles of liquor for the same (or higher!) price of a bottle twice the size on land. As stated above, it still works out "cheaper" than buying drinks in the bar and you get to have drinks in your cabin.

• 3 months later...
We are taking HAL next year April 3, from Ft. Lauderdale to Venice. Anyone else going? We are also coming back on the Queen Mary 2 on May 10th from Southampton. Anyone else doing this?

You are in the Princess boards. You may want to post this on the HAL and Cunard roll calls. There is a section above entitled Find Your Roll Call.

• 3 weeks later...