Verizon in the Bahamas

DH thinks we'll get cell service (non-roaming) in the Bahamas because they're a US territory. I'm not so sure and fear a costly bill if we turn our data on. Thoughts?

My thoughts are that we need better geography education in our country.

Edited by clarea

Bahamas is not a US Territory as for Verizon this was from March this year while there on Verizon. Just turn cell data off. Still get text. At little cost. Free VZW Msg: Welcome to Bahamas. Dial +1 & 10-digit# to call US. For Int'l Support call +1-908-559-Depending on your plan, calls made & received: $1.79/min. TXT: Send=$0.5, Receive=$0.05. Pic/Video msgs use international data. You might want to check with verizon. They now have a plan where you pay 10 bucks a day and you can use your data and text in certain country's just as if you were at home. Does not apply to cruise ship cell service though. Unless you have a plan the data will kill you.

DH thinks we'll get cell service (non-roaming) in the Bahamas because they're a US territory. I'm not so sure and fear a costly bill if we turn our data on. Thoughts?

You will have a costly bill as the Bahamas are a sovereign nation that is part of the British Commonwealth (think Canada and Australia). You can ask Verizon to add temporary coverage for the Bahamas to your phone for a monthly fee to avoid the roaming charges. (Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are part of the US, but I would still check with Verizon for coverage there as well.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP here. Yeah, I'm not sharing this thread with my DH who's a Brit and seems to think the Bahamas are a US territory. I'm sure no one will believe me now, but I questioned his theory on the US territory (really I did!), but didn't want to be the disbelieving wife since I tend to question much of what he says and he's typically very good on geography!

Anyway, looks like I was right after all and cells will remain in the safe AS I'D PLANNED!!!

Edited by flyboyswife

Ok, I confess, I had to rub DH's nose in it and now he's telling me that he knew the Bahamas weren't a US territory BUT since they're 30 miles off shore, he thinks he can get coverage (non-roaming).

Good thing he's cute and has an accent!

OP here. Yeah, I'm not sharing this thread with my DH who's a Brit and seems to think the Bahamas are a US territory. ...

That's funny since the Bahamas are part of the British Commonwealth and he's a Brit!

We have Verizon. If you use your phone big bucks in Bahamas. No Verizon coverage there. You can easily run up thousands of dollars worth roaming fees. Just use Internet and skype if you need to make calls. $10 will cover skype calls for several hours!

The Bahamas is not a US territory. It's a country, not owned or governed by the US.. Unless I misunderstood your comment...:confused:

Ok, I confess, I had to rub DH's nose in it and now he's telling me that he knew the Bahamas weren't a US territory BUT since they're 30 miles off shore, he thinks he can get coverage (non-roaming).

Accents always help! 😉

And he's a pilot and should know geography.

I love him anyway!

I can't decide if this comment makes me more "ah" because it's sweet or "eek" because I'll be worried about pilots and geography now!

FWIW, Verizon has a plan where for $10 a day, you can use your US cell plan out of the country. Any data usage or texting just goes against your current allowances (I think talk time too, although now I don't remember if there's a per minute charge for calls). Not sure whether the Bahamas is included, but you can check on the Verizon website. It's call TravelPass. It's $2 a day in Mexico and Canada, BTW.

Another option is that for around $40 for a billing cycle, you can add international access to your plan that gives you a data and texting allowance, and discounted calling. If there's a reason you or your DH need to have cell access while travelling, there are options that won't cost a zillion dollars.

The worst thing -- as you already know -- is to just start using your phone. The good thing is that you will immediately start getting messages from Verizon warning you about it. I did this a couple of years ago on a trip to England. At the time, I was able to retroactively add the monthly international plan, so that the $100 in charges I managed to rack up between the airport and hotel were replaced with a $40 fee. Not sure if that's still in effect, but it certainly saved me!

I can't decide if this comment makes me more "ah" because it's sweet or "eek" because I'll be worried about pilots and geography now!

FWIW, Verizon has a plan where for $10 a day, you can use your US cell plan out of the country. Any data usage or texting just goes against your current allowances (I think talk time too, although now I don't remember if there's a per minute charge for calls). Not sure whether the Bahamas is included, but you can check on the Verizon website. It's call TravelPass. It's $2 a day in Mexico and Canada, BTW.

Another option is that for around $40 for a billing cycle, you can add international access to your plan that gives you a data and texting allowance, and discounted calling. If there's a reason you or your DH need to have cell access while travelling, there are options that won't cost a zillion dollars.

The worst thing -- as you already know -- is to just start using your phone. The good thing is that you will immediately start getting messages from Verizon warning you about it. I did this a couple of years ago on a trip to England. At the time, I was able to retroactively add the monthly international plan, so that the $100 in charges I managed to rack up between the airport and hotel were replaced with a $40 fee. Not sure if that's still in effect, but it certainly saved me!

No Travel Pass for the Bahamas, it is either pay as you go or get an international plan.

FWIW, Verizon is stingier in terms of what it counts as home territory than even AT&T. The U.S. Virgin Islands (which even are US territories), for example, are home coverage on AT&T but require roaming on Verizon. In fact, other than actual U.S. states only P.R. is considered part of the home coverage for Verizon customers.

FWIW, Verizon is stingier in terms of what it counts as home territory than even AT&T. The U.S. Virgin Islands (which even are US territories), for example, are home coverage on AT&T but require roaming on Verizon. In fact, other than actual U.S. states only P.R. is considered part of the home coverage for Verizon customers.

That is no longer true, Us Virgin Islands are now covered under you domestic plan. Verizon has made many changes to their plans and continue to make changes. Canada and Mexico are also now included for no additional cost with Verizon's XL and larger plans.

sometimes it's the accent that is the only thing that keeps them alive.... :D

That is no longer true, Us Virgin Islands are now covered under you domestic plan. Verizon has made many changes to their plans and continue to make changes. Canada and Mexico are also now included for no additional cost with Verizon's XL and larger plans.

OMG, thank you! I wonder why they didn't announce that? It would be nice to know! :eek:

OMG, thank you! I wonder why they didn't announce that? It would be nice to know! :eek:

You're welcome.:) It is about time they caught up with some of the other providers. I am going to wait until September 1st to use the interactive travel planner for our September 3rd Anthem sailing. You never know if they are going to have more changes starting at the beginning of the month.:p