Water for infant formula under new policy

kayden

We are first time NCL cruisers and have read about the new outside beverage policy. We will have a 9mo on board with us for a 4 day cruise. We formula feed the baby with powdered formula and water. What would be an acceptable amount of bottled water we could bring with us? A case of 12? Could we get away with 24 do you think? Our little one drinks a lot and I would rather be over prepared than run out. The jugs of water would be a lot harder for us to carry onto/around the ship so individual water would be better. Any experiences or wisdom to share on here would be appreciated. Looking forward to our first NCL cruise after being on a few other lines.

We are first time NCL cruisers and have read about the new outside beverage policy. We will have a 9mo on board with us for a 4 day cruise. We formula feed the baby with powdered formula and water. What would be an acceptable amount of bottled water we could bring with us? A case of 12? Could we get away with 24 do you think? Our little one drinks a lot and I would rather be over prepared than run out. The jugs of water would be a lot harder for us to carry onto/around the ship so individual water would be better. Any experiences or wisdom to share on here would be appreciated. Looking forward to our first NCL cruise after being on a few other lines.

Send your request to NCL and explain what you want to do, and they will either OK or decline it.

Send your request to NCL and explain what you want to do, and they will either OK or decline it.

Is it a requirement? I read that for guests with special needs (which could or could not include infants as it is pretty vague) that they require an email, but I wasn't sure if the water fell into that category since they mention in separately in that same FAQ. I'll email anyways to see what they say.

I always just used tap water.

We don't even use tap water at home (well we do, but we boil it, otherwise while out we use bottled or distilled water), but I would rather not do that on the ship.

Don't expect to be allowed to bring any water on board. The water from the ship's system is fine, and if you don't want that NCL will sell you bottles of water.

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs or medical requirements should contact the access desk at accessdesk@ncl.com. Families with infants who require water for formula or milk should advise the security team during embarkation and those items will be inspected at the check point.

https://www.ncl.com/faq#can-i-bring-water-or-soda-board

Your edocs refernce https://www.ncl.com/faq/liquor-beverage-policy which says:

Effective for sailings July 15, 2016 and beyond, guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage, with the exception of purified or distilled water in factory-sealed containers for use in conjunction with medical devices or for the reconstitution of infant formula;

I use a CPAP machine, which requires (or strongly suggests) distilled water. Even though I always ask the access desk, its never in my cabin. Just ask guest services and they will have some delivered to your room free of charge. Its in a gallon jug, just like you'd get from the store.

Did you even bother to read the responses above yours? An answer was provided from NCL's website with citation.

Rude you?

Never.

Yes I read it.

Have you ever got to the pier or on the ship and found them applying different rules than on the website?? I have numerous times, that's why I suggested getting it in writing.

Rude you?

Never.

Yes I read it.

Have you ever got to the pier or on the ship and found them applying different rules than on the website?? I have numerous times, that's why I suggested getting it in writing.

I appreciate the fact that you suggested I print out NCL's reply on the matter. I will do that. Thanks ;)

I would venture to say that you can bring on board as much water that is necessary to make as much formula as you bring. Bringing on two cans of formula that take 1 bottle of water each should allow you to bring on two bottle of water but not two cases. As long as you do not try to game the system you should be OK.

We don't even use tap water at home (well we do, but we boil it, otherwise while out we use bottled or distilled water), but I would rather not do that on the ship.

I prefer the taste of bottled or filtered water over our tap water, but it's safe, and fine for formula, lemonade, iced tea, etc.

I needed special milk for our youngest on an upcoming NCL cruise. I emailed the access desk and got a confirmation very quickly stating it would be no problem and that our boarding pass was updated to include the exemption, which was available immediately.

Most bottled water is merely tap water in a bottle. There is no differnce at all, especially not in taste.

So true. I know the Baltimore City Water Dept. sells it by the tanker truck load to bottling companies who do nothing but put it in a bottle.

Hi please do email the access desk and tell them exactly what you want to bring. How much of and for whom. My toddler only drinks strawberry milk so they were able to add a exemption for liquid on my edoc

Dental assistant here. Be careful with that strawberry milk. Most of them have as much sugar as a soda.

Most bottled water is merely tap water in a bottle. There is no differnce at all, especially not in taste.

There is definitely a taste difference overall because of the chlorine or chloramines in most tap water. If you carbon filter tap water it may or may not taste like your favorite bottled water, but the filter effectively removes the chlorine taste.

"Tap water" varies in taste from location to location as well. NYC is known for having great tasting tap water. The city I live in has very hard water at 18 grains (anything over 10 is "very hard") and hardness affects the taste.

Bottled water is processed through carbon filters, demineralized, filtered again, sometimes re-mineralized and then processed through UV and/or ozone sanitation before bottling. That produces a water that tastes entirely different to those of us that can taste the difference.

Some people may not be able to discern differences in the taste of water, just as all beer of a certain type tastes the same to me. I wouldn't pay a penny more for a micro brew light ale than I would a Bud Light, because they both taste the same to me. I always laugh at people buying expensive microbrews because you can get Bud so cheap. They are simply wasting their money because all beer is exactly the same.