Sea sickness tablet on Royal Caribbean

reedy8

I just want to give you major kudos for reading the packet and making a decision to NOT take something that might cause you harm.

I, too, worry about things that can depress my breathing, since I tend towards asthma.

Yes Mollyeilis Asthma was one of the things that is mentioned if you look at the Consumer Medicine Information you can get from the chemist or the info is also online,

I have one dicky (Australian slag meaning, in poor condition, not working properly) lung as a result of breast cancer so am nervous of anything that might supress the other one. Ive read whats in Motioneaze and am quite happy with the ingredients so it looks like that along with ginger tablets will do the trick, thanks all for your assistance.

Edited by reedy8
I am a terrible speller!

I just want to give you major kudos for reading the packet and making a decision to NOT take something that might cause you harm.

I, too, worry about things that can depress my breathing, since I tend towards asthma.

FYI that while you can buy all of the pills and natural remedies over the counter, the patch has to be prescribed by a doctor, who won't give it to you if you have contraindications that would affect you. Reading about the side effects of dry mouth and blurred vision aren't going to stop anyone who has experienced extreme and debilitating motion sickness from using it, since those side effects are temporary and much less bothersome than throwing up all day. However the ship giving out pills for free that shouldn't be used by everyone seems a bit dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I don't get seasick as a general rule, but every once in a while I get the woozy head feeling. In Hawaii, the trip from Maui back to Honolulu was a slow one and we just rocked with the waves. I was totally sober, but I felt like I couldn't walk in a straight line and my head was messed up. One of the crew got me a Ginger Ale & Bitters from the bar (non alcoholic). He said it's like this every week since it's a short distance, and the crew swears by it. It worked really well. On a cruise last year on the Jewel in the Caribbean I had a similar bout. I went straight to the bar and asked for Ginger Ale & Bitters, and the bartender's first question was, "You're not feeling well?" I have no idea why it works, but I'm sticking to it. No drowsiness or side effects, but it's not preventative.

I was at our local food co-op the other day, think Whole Foods but member owned, and I saw crystallized ginger. I forgot that I'd used that on a trip in the past. You suck on it (though fair warning to diabetics and the like, it does have a light sugar coating on it as well as being made with sugar) or chew it and it did help calm queasiness for me on a flight as well as on rough seas on the Reflection a year or so back. The Oasis you barely- usually anyway- feel motion on but the Reflection? She rocks like a rubber ducky at bath time on a good day.....let alone in bad weather like we had.

Also, if you're prone to mal de debarquement (the opposite of mal de mar; it's where you get sick on land or feel like you're still at sea after coming home) it may be worthwhile to note that whatever method you choose on the ship might need to be continued for a bit on land after the trip is done to ease any symptoms on that end too. Of course, research states that they don't often help (and yet lists benzodiazepines such as Valium in the same breath as helpful but whatever) YMMV.

FYI that while you can buy all of the pills and natural remedies over the counter, the patch has to be prescribed by a doctor, who won't give it to you if you have contraindications that would affect you. Reading about the side effects of dry mouth and blurred vision aren't going to stop anyone who has experienced extreme and debilitating motion sickness from using it, since those side effects are temporary and much less bothersome than throwing up all day. However the ship giving out pills for free that shouldn't be used by everyone seems a bit dangerous.

In the US, but in Canada you can buy it over the counter, no prescription required.

My doctor said she uses 1/2 a patch behind the ear with no side effects. One of my friends had hallucinations the last time she used the patch which was scary. Bonine and/or ginger works for me. The sea bands work for my husband. Hope you find something that works for you without side effects.

I tried the patch on our first cruise. I had such a dry mouth that almost no amount of water would work. I bought the candied/crystallized ginger on last time. Can't really say if it worked because it was smooth sailing, but it sure tasted good. :D Ginger has worked at other times on land for an upset stomach so I am sure it would work for me on a cruise. I like the idea of ginger ale and bitters. I will have to try that sometime.

Has anyone gotten sick before they took any medicine and then got off the ship on a port day so they could be on land for a while? Did that help calm the sickness down and then the pill would start to kick in?

• 6 months later...
.......Has anyone gotten sick before they took any medicine and then got off the ship on a port day so they could be on land for a while? Did that help calm the sickness down and then the pill would start to kick in?

Anyone?

I tried the patch on our first cruise. I had such a dry mouth that almost no amount of water would work. I bought the candied/crystallized ginger on last time. Can't really say if it worked because it was smooth sailing, but it sure tasted good. :D Ginger has worked at other times on land for an upset stomach so I am sure it would work for me on a cruise. I like the idea of ginger ale and bitters. I will have to try that sometime.

Has anyone gotten sick before they took any medicine and then got off the ship on a port day so they could be on land for a while? Did that help calm the sickness down and then the pill would start to kick in?

Our very first cruise I got sick the first night. I took less drowsy dramamine and went to bed. I woke up the next morning docked in Freeport and felt fine. I continued to take it for the rest of the cruise. Seasickness is usually relieved by being away from the motion. Some people feel dizzy or movement after they get off the ship, but that's not the same. I now start the day before and continue a day or two after. I've used Less Drowsy Dramamine and generic Meclizine and they both work fine. I've only felt sick one time since and that was on our March 2014 GR cruise where we had 30 foot seas. I didn't actually get sick, but I felt bad and I did take an additional pill and go to bed before dinner and slept 12 hours. Woke up to 15 foot seas the next morning and felt fine. So, if the seas are bad enough the pills help, but don't completely prevent the feeling of sea sickness.

You do not need to go to the medical center they give them for free at the guest services. Two per pack and you just tell them how many packs you want. This is what you get:[ATTACH]392519[/ATTACH]

Picture doesn't appear to be clear when blown up even though it is a very clear picture I uploaded if you want send me a message and I will email the pic to you

Are these chewable tablets or pills?

Anyone?

I have, it didn't work. I threw up anyway, and have never bothered with the pill again. I use the patch, and it does make your mouth dry which sucks, but to me it's better than being sick and throwing up. I have learned that I can wear the patch for the first 3 days and then remove it and the medicine in my system lasts the rest of the week and the side effects aren't nearly as bad.

We take the chewable Bonine each night before bed starting the night before the cruise. If it makes us drowsy then we are headed to bed anyway and sleep great! no side effects during the day and have never felt sick except once leaving Baltimore when Joaquin and whatever else was going on with the sea made for some bad seas. Took another one that morning and was good to go. Be careful with ginger capsules and tablets if you have any bleeding issues or take any prescription blood thinners - they should not be combined. Ginger ale is ok.

I'm glad you have a doctor who knows something about the drugs she prescribes. I don't know of many. The drugs my MIL is on all interact and have weird side effects and her doctor knows nothing about them.

The likelihood of most doctors knowing the side effects of something and caring enough to not prescribe it is low in my world.

I have literally read what's simply on the package insert to a doctor or two and they haven't known even that much info about what they are giving or prescribing.

And the Op wasn't worried about the patch. They were worried about meclizine, which is anticholinergic and can depress the breathing.

Which is where my kudos came from. In the thread someone said they used Bonine vs meclizine (or the opposite) bc one worked and the other didn't. Same drug. Bonine is meclizine. The package would tell you that. Drugs.com tells you that. But so few people read even the package that the OP, back last year, did a good job reading up in it.

We all have to be our first advocate in keeping ourselves safe, and reading even the basic info on things is the first step! ;)

Meclizine works well for me. I used to use the patch and it totally distorted my vision. By day 3, I needed longer arms to read the menu. I also felt as though I were dying of thirst.

I use the Meclizine starting a night or two before the cruise and use it nightly as needed. Last cruise I didn't think I would need it and in the morning, I started feeling a little seasick. I took a ginger mint that I bought at Trader Joes and a Meclizine. I was fine within a few minutes.

Meclizine didn't make me sleepy when taking it in the morning. I guess that some people feel sleepy, but I didn't. I don't travel without having both of the above.

Are these chewable tablets or pills?

You can get it as both. The generic I have is chewable. Bonine comes in chewables and I think Less Drowsy Dramamine does too.

On our families first cruise my daughter became nauseous as soon as we pulled away from the dock. I had brought seabands because I wasn't interested in giving the kids meds if I could avoid it. So I dug them out of my suitcase and had really thought this was a long shot. However much to my delight, they worked and 20 minutes later she was as right as rain. No drugs or side effects from them. We've used them ever since.

I recommend trying any meds out well in advance of your trip, to see how your body reacts.

Many people use the scopalamine patch without any problems at all -- others can't handle the side effects.

Many people take meclinizine without any problems at all -- others get so drowsy that they sleep the cruise away.

If you think or know that you are likely to experience motion sickness, try different products beforehand!!! There's no way of knowing if it will cure the motion sickness until you're actually in a motion-sickness-situation, but you'll at least know if your reaction is manageable or not, without jeopardizing your precious cruise time.