Sea sickness tablet on Royal Caribbean

reedy8

Can anyone please advise what type of seasickness tablets they give out in the medical centre on Royal Caribbean.

I cruised on Explorer last November, and went to get some for a friend in our cabin but noticed on the packet it said they shouldn't be used by anyone with breathing issues, so I didn't take them myself. (they put her to sleep!)

If I know what they are, I can google them, find out the active ingredients and ask my Dr for a script for an alternative.

Thanks

Can anyone please advise what type of seasickness tablets they give out in the medical centre on Royal Caribbean.

I cruised on Explorer last November, and went to get some for a friend in our cabin but noticed on the packet it said they shouldn't be used by anyone with breathing issues, so I didn't take them myself. (they put her to sleep!)

If I know what they are, I can google them, find out the active ingredients and ask my Dr for a script for an alternative.

Thanks

RCI gives out packets of Meclizine for seasickness.....However we have found that the chewable Bonine works well .... You can get this over the counter at least here in the US you can.

RCI gives out packets of Meclizine for seasickness.....However we have found that the chewable Bonine works well .... You can get this over the counter at least here in the US you can.

Thank you, good my friend 'Mr Google' has told me its the same active ingredient Meclizine in Bonnie too, a type of antihistimine, so I'll know what to avoid

After 12 cruises with never having been seasick, I got HIT with it on the last two cruises...in the calmest waters EVER. I took Bonine and was fine by morning but missed out on the first night fun on both cruises. Now, I plan to take Bonine, starting the day before we board the ship. It doesn't make me sleepy so I like that better than Dramamine.

I wonder if the breathing issue sleep apnea, then non-drowsy Bonine might work during the day.

You can also get Rx for a patch but I don't know the ingredients. I am sure someone reading this will though.

Patti

The patch works as intended. But we don't like the side effects- it really dries your head out in kind of an uncomfortable way. Also, I get the side effect of blurred vision- which is not fun.

On the other hand, one of the crew suggested an alternate way using it. First, put it on your shoulder blade- which is much thicker skin than behind your ear- that greatly reduces the rate that it enters your body, and second, cut it in half.

Before trying that, we tried the MotionEaze- so I can't report if that change in method works or not.

The patch works as intended. But we don't like the side effects- it really dries your head out in kind of an uncomfortable way. Also, I get the side effect of blurred vision- which is not fun.

On the other hand, one of the crew suggested an alternate way using it. First, put it on your shoulder blade- which is much thicker skin than behind your ear- that greatly reduces the rate that it enters your body, and second, cut it in half.

I use the patch also. I get HORRIBLE motion sickness, but when I use the patch I never get it. However I do get the side effects you mentioned (dry mouth, sore throat and blurred vision).

I've figured out that if you wear the patch for only 3 days, enough medicine gets in your body to last the entire cruise, and the dry mouth and sore throat don't really occur. At 3 days those symptoms are just starting to happen, and they go away within an hour or two of taking the patch off.

For really long cruises (9-14 days) you could get a prescription for 2 or 3 patches so that you can put another one on after a 3 or 4 day break.

I find the patch works best for me, even with the side effects, because the side effects are less bothersome than being sick, which can make you bed ridden and ruin your trip. I've tried the seasickness pills they give you on the ship, I still threw up while using them, and I also fell asleep. I've also used the seasickness bands (I threw up on mine, right outside the windjammer because I couldn't make it to the bathroom quickly enough). I've tried ginger, apples, and other natural remedies, and was sick every single time. The patch is the only thing that works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

As I've gotten older, I've become more susceptible to sea sickness. Last cruise, to Alaska, I was prescribed and used the patch behind my ear.

No side effects, and it worked like a champ. I wasn't even aware there were side effects. Can anyone whose experienced any ill effects from the patch describe them?

Note: On a Carnival cruise a few years ago, on a paid for ships behind the scene's tour, the first stop was in the very front of the ship, where the show people's dressing area was, behind the theater.

That was my first bout with sea sickness. The crew gave me meclizine. Back to the cabin, 45 minute nap, back to normal. Missed the rest of the tour, though. Wasn't given an itinerary. Didn't know where to catch up.

For me, being pro-active and using the patch, is the way to go.

Harvey

After 12 cruises with never having been seasick, I got HIT with it on the last two cruises...in the calmest waters EVER. I took Bonine and was fine by morning but missed out on the first night fun on both cruises. Now, I plan to take Bonine, starting the day before we board the ship. It doesn't make me sleepy so I like that better than Dramamine.

I take Bonine at bedtime starting the night before we cruise, and continue throughout the cruise, and now even a few days after we get back home. (I get that weird post cruise rocking sensation, and the Bonine helps with that.) I've never gotten seasick yet on a cruise, and I don't know if I would, but I don't want to take any chances. We've been in some pretty rough seas; including out during Hurricane Sandy.

I am the type of person who gets horribly carsick if I look down to read. I could never help my husband navigate on road trips, back in the days before GPS.

No side effects, and it worked like a champ. I wasn't even aware there were side effects. Can anyone whose experienced any ill effects from the patch describe them?

Harvey

My mouth will get dry, like when you are extremely thirsty, but no matter how much water you drink, it stays dry (not a huge deal). The thing that I dislike the most is the sore throat, which may be a result of the dry mouth, but it feels more like it's coming from deep inside the throat, like when you're sick.

The blurred vision only happened to me the first time and it was kind of scary because I wasn't expecting it and it took me 2 days to realize that it was happening because of the patch. I noticed it when trying to read the cruise compass and suddenly the words were blurred together and I couldn't read them. I thought my eyesight was starting to go bad, until the next day when it was even worse and I realized there was no way my eyesight would get worse that quickly, and because I had all the other side effects I assumed it was the patch and pulled it off. That was after wearing it for 5 days straight. It took about a day to feel normal and be able to read menus or cruise compasses again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I take Bonine at bedtime starting the night before we cruise, and continue throughout the cruise, and now even a few days after we get back home. (I get that weird post cruise rocking sensation, and the Bonine helps with that.) I've never gotten seasick yet on a cruise, and I don't know if I would, but I don't want to take any chances. We've been in some pretty rough seas; including out during Hurricane Sandy.

I am the type of person who gets horribly carsick if I look down to read. I could never help my husband navigate on road trips, back in the days before GPS.

Same goes for me. I take the generic of Bonine (meclizine 25mg - super cheap!) with no side effects what so ever. Maybe it makes me sleepy but who cares since I take it before bed. On rare occasions, when the ship is really rocking, I'll take another one in the morning as well to be on the safe side. Works like a champ!

On rare occasions, when the ship is really rocking, I'll take another one in the morning as well to be on the safe side. Works like a champ!

Me too! I've also taken an extra one in the morning if we're doing an excursion on a smaller boat or bus/van tour.

You do not need to go to the medical center they give them for free at the guest services. Two per pack and you just tell them how many packs you want. This is what you get:IMG_1471538483.475110.jpg.e7f82be86257595e0626924aaaaa159d.jpg

Picture doesn't appear to be clear when blown up even though it is a very clear picture I uploaded if you want send me a message and I will email the pic to you

Edited by rum & monkey

I'm in the Meclazine camp- Can't do the Scopolamine patch. I get HORRIBLE headaches and blurred vision within 4-5 hours of it being on my skin. I've even waited to put it on until we're sailing away and generally by the time we're at dinner, I've got to pull it off. That's how quickly the symptoms start for me.

However, I go buy a bottle of Meclazine (NOT BONINE, personal preferance) from Target. If your Target carries it, it will be behind the pharmacy counter. While Dramamine and Bonine make me super drowsy to the point of feeling drugged, this Meclazine does not. I get no side effects from it whatever.

I use it when I fly and when I cruise. I have also used the Meclazine that they hand out on board (same stuff handed out on X fyi) and it works WONDERFULLY.

The patch is Scopalomine, which lots of people should not take (like those on Beta Blockers) My DH was worried that he would get seasick, but our doctor refuses to prescribe it. He told him to either use Ginger capsules, or Bonine.

DH never needed either for many, many cruises, but on several trips that involved flights to and from the cruise he had bad vertigo the morning after we got home. His ENT told him to take Bonine the last 3 days of the cruise and for 3 days following the flight home and it worked like a charm to prevent the room spinning sensation. If we drive to the cruise, he does not take anything.

Here is information on Scopalomine. I am shocked that anyone would take a drug and not know the contraindications and possible side effects and decide if it was worth the risk to use the patch . It can increase the risk of heatstroke and you are not supposed to drink alcohol while wearing the patch and it may make your eyes light sensitive, all of which would point to the patch being a bad idea on a Caribbean cruise. Several family members have had life threatening reactions to drugs that others take without a thought, so that has made us more wary about all medications. We take as little as possible.

https://www.drugs.com/cdi/scopolamine-patch.html

Edited by DebJ14

On a recent cruise, we tried the topical MotionEaze- worked really well. You can get it in the general store on board, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper at your home drug store.

All natural.

MotionEaze worked really well for me on my last cruise. I plan on using it on all future cruises. I bought mine from Amazon at a reasonable price.

The best thing was no side effects and it could be used with alcohol.

On a recent cruise, we tried the topical MotionEaze- worked really well. You can get it in the general store on board, but I'm pretty sure it's cheaper at your home drug store.

All natural.

I second Motion Eaze you can get it at Walmart no side effects. Use as you need it.

I cruised on Explorer last November, and went to get some for a friend in our cabin but noticed on the packet it said they shouldn't be used by anyone with breathing issues, so I didn't take them myself.

I just want to give you major kudos for reading the packet and making a decision to NOT take something that might cause you harm.

I, too, worry about things that can depress my breathing, since I tend towards asthma.

I'm in the Meclazine camp-

However, I go buy a bottle of Meclazine (NOT BONINE, personal preferance) from Target. If your Target carries it, it will be behind the pharmacy counter. While Dramamine and Bonine make me super drowsy to the point of feeling drugged, this Meclazine does not. I get no side effects from it whatever.

I use it when I fly and when I cruise. I have also used the Meclazine that they hand out on board (same stuff handed out on X fyi) and it works WONDERFULLY.

Same active ingredient.

Dramamine II "Less Drowsy" is also the same - meclizine.

Why worry about what the ship hands out, buy your own, it's cheap and it'll be there when you need it instead of chasing around the ship looking for it.

If you're already feeling seasick then it's likely too late for any pill to help, fact.

All natural.

Thanks, I had a look at motioneaze, and I like the idea that is a natural product and is rubbed on rather than ingested, just gotta find a site that sells it that has an .au in their web address to buy it as there are no normal retailers here that stock it.

I tried aa wrist band but they made me feel funny

Edited by reedy8
spelling error