Warning on using Carnival Gift Cards

DobbyMO

Sounds like the problem here was that Amazon sold fraudulent cards.Any genuine carnival cards do have a PIN number (although they might not require it when redeeming). If the cards had no PIN number, they were probably fake. I usually buy my gift cards at Kroger or Bi-Lo supermarket and save the validation receipt. I have bought electronic cards before, but always directly from the Carnival site. Lesson: Don't buy from gift cards Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The cards were not fraudulent, Carnival accepted all three of them for payment. The problem was that for $200 of the cards, the person who they accepted the cards from was not the rightful owner. When this pointed out to Carnival, they said "To Bad, not our problem".

Agreed. It's not Carnival's fault that Amazon sold you gift cards that someone else stole (or sold two cards with the same number). I've had good luck with Amazon's customer service in the past; I'm surprised they blew you off so quickly.

I am not sure if a good Lawyer and a jury would agree with your above statement

Michael

I just heard about these discounted gift cards and have some questions. I would get them from Verizon for 10% discount and points. Does anyone know how long it takes to get them, or are they electronic? Are the AARP ones discounted?

I understand one cannot use them before sailing for cheers, but the price for cheers is higher once on the ship. Someone said they were told that guest services will honor the pre-sail price if using gift cards. Has anyone had experience with that? How about purchasing on the second day? Will they still honor the pre-cruise daily rate?

Pretty much the terms says it all

Terms and Conditions

Treat this e-card like cash. E-card recipient bears all risk of loss in the event this e-card, or its information, is lost, stolen, damaged or used without e-cardholder's permission. In no event is CCL Gifts, LLC or any parent, subsidiary or affiliate responsible or required to replace any e-card value. Card cannot be redeemed for cash unless required by law. Complete terms and conditions available at carnival.com/giftcardterms. Use of this e-card constitutes acceptance of these terms and conditions. This e-card does not expire. Digital gift card is non-refundable and will not be replaced if lost, stolen or destroyed. TRAVEL AGENTS, AGENCIES OR ANY OTHER TRAVEL INTERMEDIARY SERVICE CANNOT BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THIS DIGITAL GIFT CARD. Digital gift card is NON-COMMISSIONABLE at redemption.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Terms are pretty much accurate other than the part about TAs not being available. Very early that was the case but it has long since changed. Many people have had them applied when booked with a TA. Myself included. They for sure need to update that. And also the part about them being ecards. Verizon and AARP haven't offered ecards in almost 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Just checked my 2 $100 e-cards from Citi and on those the last 6 numbers are different, instead of the last 4. Not perfect, but it takes a lot longer for someone to guess when there are 999,999 number combos instead of 9999.

The cards were not fraudulent, Carnival accepted all three of them for payment. The problem was that for $200 of the cards, the person who they accepted the cards from was not the rightful owner. When this pointed out to Carnival, they said "To Bad, not our problem".

The cards themselves were not fraudulent (they weren't counterfeit), but someone engaged in fraudulent behavior by selling a card that had already been used. Since Amazon was the seller, they, not Carnival, are responsible. (If the cards had been bought from Carnival's site, that would be a different matter. )

Sent from my iPad using Forums

[/u][/b]

I have a $500 one right now & plan to order another one before our cruise this coming January. I plan to book next year's B2B while on that cruise.

Great. I used a $500 card as deposit on a 5 day cruise on board myself last Jan. I didn't owe much after that. I used what was left of another card to book one over 2 yrs in advance also. It worked great for me.

I am just trying to give people a heads up and bring light to a bad situation. I hope you enjoy your cruise :) and if you have any gift cards, no one steals them. If and when that happens, I and many others will feel your pain.

With the world today, I am afraid situations like mine are going to happen much more frequently until Carnival makes these cards much more secure.

Oh I completely understand. After reading a similar post a while back I waited to purchase until excursions showed up on the website. Unfortunately the most expensive excursion didn't show up til later. I worried some, but got over it. It all worked out.

I was just trying to be positive for the posters above that statement. Sorry it happened to you. It looks like something may be done about the issue.

Thanks.

It's Amazon. AMAZON has major problems with people getting into there account and ripping other people off. So much of a problem that they put there heads in the sand and denied its there fault. It's everybody's fault except them

This has been addressed by Mr Heald on another site this morning. Some issues are resolved and by October a pin will be needed for all transactions and use of cards.

Did he reply to a particular post? I looked and didn't see him start any threads or originate any message about this. Just wondering where I missed it.

It's Amazon. AMAZON has major problems with people getting into there account and ripping other people off. So much of a problem that they put there heads in the sand and denied its there fault. It's everybody's fault except them

It's absolutely Amazon as I've said! I looked at the gift cards I have now, and indeed as another poster mentioned, on all but 2 the last 6 numbers are different. Not just the last 4.

Amazon doesn't show them for sale anymore and they don't ever need to sell them again. Ripoff. At least with me, the money was refunded. I see since then they are doing a lot of bobbing and weaving to avoid refunds, which is really ridiculous and irresponsible. I got a gift card from Verizon that never made it to me for whatever reason. Verizon rewards sent a new one within a week. They didn't try and push the problem off on Carnival or my mailman.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Did he reply to a particular post? I looked and didn't see him start any threads or originate any message about this. Just wondering where I missed it.

It's absolutely Amazon as I've said! I looked at the gift cards I have now, and indeed as another poster mentioned, on all but 2 the last 6 numbers are different. Not just the last 4.

Amazon doesn't show them for sale anymore and they don't ever need to sell them again. Ripoff. At least with me, the money was refunded. I see since then they are doing a lot of bobbing and weaving to avoid refunds, which is really ridiculous and irresponsible. I got a gift card from Verizon that never made it to me for whatever reason. Verizon rewards sent a new one within a week. They didn't try and push the problem off on Carnival or my mailman.

It was in a general long winded post started off talking about his wrists and IKEA then passwords and pins.

I bought $1500 in $100 Carnival gift cards through Verizon last year. I have redeemed them by phone and on the website and never even knew there was a pin number. I just booked a last minute cruise this week and redeemed the final 3. I was not asked for a pin and just checked to see where the pin even was on the card and found it under the sticky tape. I certainly do hope that Carnival starts asking for the pin online and by phone immediately, but they haven't as of Tuesday. On my 3 cards the numbers increased by 8 so I could have easily guessed the next number. I have to assume they designed the cards with a pin for a reason and need to implement the necessary security features. 10% savings isn't worth the risk of a used card.

Thanks so much for the warning! I have successfully used all the gift cards i purchased to date, but planned on buying some for my sail and sign account, unless this security issue is fixed. I shouldn't be so surprised that criminals have exploited the loophole....

Granted it has been almost 5 years since I've worked for them, but we were told while I was there that if it was an item sold by Amazon, refund/replace, no questions asked. If it was something that Amazon had sold, refund no questions asked.

We would ask that the customer wait a day or two if something was showing as delivered, but they said they had not received it, just to make sure the delivery company didn't mark it as delivered, but held onto it for what ever reason(happens more than you would think, usually for sketchy vibes at the time of delivery).

But if you called me and said your GC didn't work, or you didn't buy one(there would be a quick check to make sure it wasn't applied to a related account), instant refund/replacement. Kid bought $100 worth of "gems" on a game? Refund. Forgot to turn off your Prime subscription before the trial ended? Refund.

Have they really gotten that bad in the last couple years? Only inkling I got of anything different was about a year ago, I had a $400 dollar item snatched off my porch before I got home. I had to wait a couple days, and the FedEx driver showed back up at my house, but then they refunded my cash. Last time that happened, years before($200 item I think), no questions at all, just an instant refund. Sad if they have slacked in that department, that was one of the things that makes me order from Amazon more than anywhere else, if anything happened, I knew I wouldn't get the shaft. Sad that they are moving away from that.

Granted it has been almost 5 years since I've worked for them, but we were told while I was there that if it was an item sold by Amazon, refund/replace, no questions asked. If it was something that Amazon had sold, refund no questions asked.

We would ask that the customer wait a day or two if something was showing as delivered, but they said they had not received it, just to make sure the delivery company didn't mark it as delivered, but held onto it for what ever reason(happens more than you would think, usually for sketchy vibes at the time of delivery).

But if you called me and said your GC didn't work, or you didn't buy one(there would be a quick check to make sure it wasn't applied to a related account), instant refund/replacement. Kid bought $100 worth of "gems" on a game? Refund. Forgot to turn off your Prime subscription before the trial ended? Refund.

Have they really gotten that bad in the last couple years? Only inkling I got of anything different was about a year ago, I had a $400 dollar item snatched off my porch before I got home. I had to wait a couple days, and the FedEx driver showed back up at my house, but then they refunded my cash. Last time that happened, years before($200 item I think), no questions at all, just an instant refund. Sad if they have slacked in that department, that was one of the things that makes me order from Amazon more than anywhere else, if anything happened, I knew I wouldn't get the shaft. Sad that they are moving away from that.

I don't think Amazon has changed. You have to realize that the OP didn't try to use the gift card they purchased until over 6 months after they purchased. I don't really fault Amazon for not refunding.

The fix is that Carnival will fix their system so that you have to use pins beginning in October. Hopefully they will also take care of the OP. Seems that is the problem and it is on Carnival.

I don't think Amazon has changed. You have to realize that the OP didn't try to use the gift card they purchased until over 6 months after they purchased. I don't really fault Amazon for not refunding.

The fix is that Carnival will fix their system so that you have to use pins beginning in October. Hopefully they will also take care of the OP. Seems that is the problem and it is on Carnival.

The cards don't expire. Therefore you should be able to use them whenever you want. What kind of rationale is it for Amazon? Well you waited 6 months and after that length, we cannot guarantee the card won't have been reissued or used by someone else. Really? I mean what makes it ok for Amazon to not refund the money? They sold the product.

I have cards I brought 6 months ago and longer from AARP and Verizon. They all work. All balances still there. I have a stack of them to take with me this weekend. Unless the cards come with an expiration date, then the buyer can use them whenever they want. Perhaps the OP was like me and others and brought them over a period of time to save up. You shouldn't be penalized for that. Amazon absolutely owes anyone that buys a card from them that turns up empty at any point their money back unless they have their own set of terms that say to use them by a certain time. Then let them take it up with Carnival if they feel it's on Carnival. They refunded my brother his money for the bum card he was sold. And BTW, I got that for Christmas and tried to use it not even a month later. I remember there was a deposit promo going and I was trying to use it for that.

Amazon doesn't even offer the cards anymore. That should tell you something.

You have to realize that the OP didn't try to use the gift card they purchased until over 6 months after they purchased. I don't really fault Amazon for not refunding.

I just realized that I was swapping out the CC gift card for a Amazon gift card in my head...

If it had been an Amazon one, 6 months would have been nothing. But yeah, a third party one...that makes it harder to figure out where it went/what happened.

The cards we received from Amazon were EGift cards. They had no PIN. When I went to redeem the three cards this Month, I was able to redeem one of the gift cards (with no Pin) on Carnival's site.

I cancelled that transaction when the other two cards showed zero balance. The next day I was able to book the cruise using another Gift Card (different than the three in question) with a PVP directly. I was not asked for the PIN.

Very sorry this happened to you, but IMHO, this was not at all Carnival's fault. The company/person/4th party that sold you the eCards via Amazon probably scammed you. I would definitely take this up with Amazon. Hopefully they will be able to track it down for you and resolve the issue.

I have heard of many such scams happening with e cards from various other companies also. Especially on Ebay.

Very sorry this happened to you, but IMHO, this was not at all Carnival's fault. The company/person/4th party that sold you the eCards via Amazon probably scammed you. I would definitely take this up with Amazon. Hopefully they will be able to track it down for you and resolve the issue.

I have heard of many such scams happening with e cards from various other companies also. Especially on Ebay.

I really don't think Amazon scammed them. I used my cards immediately after getting the email from Amazon to pay for my cruise. All was OK. The correct amounts were on the cards. I believe someone else who bought a card was able to guess the numbers of other cards that had balances, and then used them.

Amazon should have had Pins with their cards. Carnival should require the Pin to use the card. I feel neither of these businesses performed due diligence, and are therefore both at fault.

I really don't think Amazon scammed them. I used my cards immediately after getting the email from Amazon to pay for my cruise. All was OK. The correct amounts were on the cards. I believe someone else who bought a card was able to guess the numbers of other cards that had balances, and then used them.

Amazon should have had Pins with their cards. Carnival should require the Pin to use the card. I feel neither of these businesses performed due diligence, and are therefore both at fault.

Read : The 4th party that sold through Amazon scammed them...not Amazon. But Amazon may be able to provide help.

I just received 3, $500 gift cards from Verizon. This thread had me a tiny bit concerned, so I went ahead and paid down the cruise.

1) The cards were not consecutive, only the last two numbers were different.

2) The Carnival website did NOT ask for a pin.

The use of a pin number (like the new chip cards) is more secure. It just depends on whether the software being used for the payments require a pin.

And maybe just maybe it wasn't a scam.

Probably all the cards in the pile at the fulfillment center are for $500.

You type in the number, make a typo, but hey, it takes it and it was for $500. No one realizes there is a mistake.

Read the Terms and Conditions on the card:

Cardholder bears all risk of loss in the event this card is lost, STOLEN, damaged or used WITHOUT THE CARDHOLDER'S PERMISSION.

So, I guess there isn't much you can do unless you're within the time to contest your credit card bill. (NEVER use a debit card)

I'm sorry this happened to you OP. But thank you for sharing because we are now all more aware,

Grantham Mommy