Growler questions

Brigbound- I am not worried about the bottle, I think that the bottle empty would be accepted. I am worried that if I bring it back to the ship filled with beer they would confiscate it, and place it in the naughty room. The stop is early enough in the cruise that the beer would not last and my heart would be broken wasting that much beer.

Thanks for the answer.

People bring all shapes and sizes of water bottles and thermos on and off the ship. I get what you are saying. I just think they would be looking for the wine and liquor bottles. I'm just pointing that out. Good luck. There are some nice double walls out there keeping stuff cold for 10 hours or more. Not sure how people can make that last though .

People bring all shapes and sizes of water bottles and thermos on and off the ship. I get what you are saying. I just think they would be looking for the wine and liquor bottles. I'm just pointing that out. Good luck. There are some nice double walls out there keeping stuff cold for 10 hours or more. Not sure how people can make that last though .

It would only need to last until the next port of call for me, and then I would fill it again, LOL. My wife is aware that I am trying to visit a micro on every island, and I hope that I can make it happen. If I get the growler, the possibilities go WAY up.

You aren't supposed to bring any alcohol on except for 2 bottles of wine per room at initial embarkation.

So it's not the container that matters, but what's in it.

I get the urge to do this; I really do. But I think you would end up seeing your growler go to the naughty room.

Brigbound- I am not worried about the bottle, I think that the bottle empty would be accepted. I am worried that if I bring it back to the ship filled with beer they would confiscate it, and place it in the naughty room. The stop is early enough in the cruise that the beer would not last and my heart would be broken wasting that much beer.

Thanks for the answer.

You'd have to get that label removed !

If found full of brew I suspect you'd have to pour it out or else have it confiscated, or both:eek:

Here is an ideal setup for bringing/using a 64 oz water canteen for excursions.

64 oz water canteen: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ACASP8G

Plus sip lid: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMIEZEO

Then a sling: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017BCGKUI

This combination would be ideal for a large easy to carry water canteen.

Might want bring two to be safely hydrated, especially if travailing in the summer.

Just be warned, as already stated you might have to witness/perform the dump of shame of any excess water. Plus the apparatus might be confiscated until returning to port.

Disclaimer: I don't condone the sneaking of prohibited items on-board. I'm just making mere product selections for carrying water on a excursion.

Edited by chandom

I brought a 40 oz insulated water bottle on the oasis this month. I filled it with ice water for our ports. I figured they would ask me to open it to check for alcohol when we got back on the ship. Metal detectors were in the ports and not on the ship in Cozumel, Haiti and Jamaica. No one asked to check my bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Has anyone brought a Growler on board, either from the island or a home port? I am sure a glass Growler would be snatched up immediately, but what about a stain less one, empty or filled.

Thank you in advance

Hi Varganator, I'm happy to meet another beer aficionado . Unfortunately, I don't think your growler idea will be a success.

I do think that technically, if you bring an empty 64oz growler on board, that they may let you keep it. But once filled in port, it will more than likely be confiscated upon re embarkation. Growlers are ment to retain pressure, so many of the water bottle containers are not a substitute. If your growler is "Detained" in the naughty room, it will not likely be refrigerated and thus your craft beer will spoil and probably become flat after 4 or 5 days.

I make my own beer and have a dedicated Keggorator with beer taps at my house and regularly fill growlers to take my beer with me when we go to friends houses or to give away. But they are intended for use the same day. They are still OK the next day, but after that, it's hit & miss.

The other factor is that it is clearly stated that any liquor/alcohol that is confiscated must be Sealed/Unopened for them to keep it and return it to you at the end of your cruise. So a growler will most likely be discarded.:eek: And that would just about make me cry:(

On a different note, I hear that the new Carnival Vista has an on board craft brewery. Making beer right on a cruise ship. That has to be the most "awesomest" job...

- Hello How are you?

- I'm great thanks

- So... What do you do for a living?

- Oh!, I'm a brewmaster in a Craft Brewery

- Wow, Great job, where is it located?

- On a Cruise ship

-:cool:

dp

You may be able to get an empty one on the ship, but I'm with the other posters who think it would be taken. Most of the growlers I've seen are that jug shape which IMO would be a dead giveaway that there's most likely alcohol in it. When you come back to the ship they check your packages and anything that looks like it could be alcohol will be inspected. They'll tag it with your room number and return it the last night of the cruise and by that time, the beer will literally be a hot mess.

So drink up in port, but don't expect to bring it back onto the ship. Unless you buy an unrefrigerated 6 pack or liter bottle again would be taken from you like other liquor purchases and returned the last night. Then you can enjoy when you get back home.

On a different note, I hear that the new Carnival Vista has an on board craft brewery. Making beer right on a cruise ship. That has to be the most "awesomest" job...

- Hello How are you?

- I'm great thanks

- So... What do you do for a living?

- Oh!, I'm a brewmaster in a Craft Brewery

- Wow, Great job, where is it located?

- On a Cruise ship

-:cool:

dp

I agree, that be the coolest job.

While I did know what a beer growler was (have had several from craft brewers in the area), I thought this might be about ice conditions for Crystal's Northwest Passage cruise underway now. :D

And Bill, haven't seen a growler or an armature in decades, since I left the oilfield.

Where were you thinking of filling it up?

In the Caribbean Nassau is really the only place I've noticed any major craft beer offerings that would even be worth getting a growler of.

Ditto - I try to order local beers at all our travel stops. The island stops are fun, but the beer is usually not that memorable. Nothing I'd go out of my way to pack back on board. I'm happy with a pic with the beer and the bar sign in the background.