are Delux Canapes actually edible

Loreni

There's one kind don't care too much for but the rest (if fresh) are pretty good. I munch with a glass before dinner while DW is getting ready. De gustibus non est disputandum

I do agree that a refresh is in order. They are identical to ones we had on HAL 15 years ago ...

We will have black cards on our next cruise. Ironically, we are getting a bit restless and wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere or if we should take more land-based vacations. Princess is probably OK with this since they make more money from first-time cruisers.

Still we are looking forward to priority tendering and (maybe) the Delux Canapes. Unfortunately, nearly everything I have read here is negative. Are they really that bad? Some report they were left in the cabin at room temperature. If they contain fish paste, shrimp, or other seafood, that can't be good.

Can we request something simple and safer like cheese and crackers instead?

That happened to us. They were left at room temp for several hours. I called room service & had them get us more & deliver them to us while we were in the room. They were quite tasty, actually!

We will have black cards on our next cruise. Ironically, we are getting a bit restless and wonder if the grass is greener elsewhere or if we should take more land-based vacations. Princess is probably OK with this since they make more money from first-time cruisers.

Still we are looking forward to priority tendering and (maybe) the Delux Canapes. Unfortunately, nearly everything I have read here is negative. Are they really that bad? Some report they were left in the cabin at room temperature. If they contain fish paste, shrimp, or other seafood, that can't be good.

Can we request something simple and safer like cheese and crackers instead?

I've always enjoyed them.

You choose the time you want them to be delivered, so there is no reason for them to be sitting out for a pronged period of time.

They are a great pre-dinner snack. Some are better than others.

We never order canapes or the strawberries but on our cruise last February on the Ruby and our cruise in May on the Grand we had canapes in our cabin on embarkation day and chocolate covered strawberries on each formal night.

I assume you were not in a full suite.

The sea gulls in Barcelona loved them. We had an aft owners suite and decided they really weren't very good, so sat out on our balcony before sailaway and we made the seagulls very happy with our complimentary canapés. Unfortunately we had put one on the balcony railing to make it easier for the seagulls and the seagull knocked it onto the balcony and came down to get it. I didn't realize that a seagull can't go up to fly away, but needs basically a long straight stretch to get air to fly away. Silly seagull kept pecking at the plexiglass until I finally cornered him and lifted him up to fly away. He went home with some cream cheese on his beak and had to explain where that came from - we were a little worried he was going to Cartagena with us.

If I had to pay for the canapes, I would definitely not bother to order them. In fact I rarely bother to order them as freebies because they are so unremarkable. Especially since the chocolate dipped strawberries seem to have disappeared from the offerings.

They have been gone for awhile.

I think you can still order them for $8.

So have we! lol. We have been crushing with Celebrity for the last 3 years.

Just checked in cruise personalizer and on our Australian-based Emerald Princess cruise it is AUD$10 for the strawberries, which I will purchase :)

If I had to pay for the canapes, I would definitely not bother to order them. In fact I rarely bother to order them as freebies because they are so unremarkable. Especially since the chocolate dipped strawberries seem to have disappeared from the offerings.

Very true we never order the canapés anymore.

Tony

I like the salami and cream cheese - but agree that on the list of great things about being elite...free canapes are at the bottom (and the strawberries were not offered as a choice on the Royal in June)

Laundry baby!!!!! that's the best!! And the bar of course :)

I guess I am pathetic, I actually LIKE the deluxe canapes, actually ordered them for our next sailaway.

I will try them once and see, but my expectations are modest. The actual ingredients don't sound bad at all.

But, I am concerned about food safety. Something like cheese and crackers would be better, because cheese actually tastes better at room temperature and I personally do not have concerns about eating room temperature cheese. DH needs gluten-free food, so I hope they are willing to substitute a cheese plate...it is less expensive on the room service menu than the Delux Canapes, so maybe they will allow this.

Edited by Loreni

Just off the Grand Princess( 10 day Alaskan) and we were in a suite. The canapés sat for hours before we got back to our cabin - we were afraid to eat them. First formal night we received chocolate covered strawberries and corsages, second formal night a platter of white and dark chocolates arrived.