Ship time = island time??

zdub86

Hello. Quick question: for the time you are supposed to be back on the ship during your island visits, does it go by the ship time or the island time? Or will they be the same time? I plan on keeping my cell phone on me mainly to take pictures and that's another related question... I live in CST, do cell phones automatically adjust the time to whatever time zone the island is in? I have no clue what the cell phone service will be at these locations and plan on using my cell phone as my primary method of keeping track of the time. Cruising to Montego Bay, Cayman, and Cozumel.

All aboard time goes by ship time. Most cruise lines adjust their time si it's the same as island time but a few do not.

Do not use your cell phone time, especially if ship time is different.

For ports we use an old fashioned time device known as a watch.

Hello. Quick question: for the time you are supposed to be back on the ship during your island visits, does it go by the ship time or the island time? Or will they be the same time? I plan on keeping my cell phone on me mainly to take pictures and that's another related question... I live in CST, do cell phones automatically adjust the time to whatever time zone the island is in? I have no clue what the cell phone service will be at these locations and plan on using my cell phone as my primary method of keeping track of the time. Cruising to Montego Bay, Cayman, and Cozumel.

You need to go by ship time!

Depending on the cruise line they may or may not change to local time. You will be notified with a note the night before and in your daily if they make the change.

When you get off at a port they generally will have a clock and sign at the gangway telling you when to be back.

Suggest alternate ways of keeping time like a watch. Cell phones will automatically switch to local time unless you change your settings.

Also be mindful that unless you go into airplane mode or have a "international data/phone plan" you will incur roaming charges for data and phone services that could lead to a big surprise when you get home.

Okay thanks!! I will be on Carnival Breeze if that helps, sailing out of Galveston. I will keep a watch with me and adjust it accordingly to whatever time the ship is on.

So the ship will notify us what the local time is, correct?

When you are on a cruise, EVERYTHING goes by ship time. The problem with a cell phone is it goes by local time, which can be different than ship time. If you don't have a watch, then either:

1) Wear a watch

2) Wait for the $10 watch sale on the ship

3) Make sure you turn your cell phone on while on the ship and note, AND REMEMBER, any time differences.

4) Buy a $20 digital watch at home (it is easier to change the time on a digital watch verses an analog watch).

When you are on a cruise, EVERYTHING goes by ship time. The problem with a cell phone is it goes by local time, which can be different than ship time. If you don't have a watch, then either:

1) Wear a watch

3) Make sure you turn your cell phone on while on the ship and note, AND REMEMBER, any time differences.

4) Buy a $20 digital watch at home (it is easier to change the time on a digital watch verses an analog watch).

OR learn how to use the settings on your cell phone.

"Auto time zone" adjust can be turned off and you can set/reset the phone time to whatever zone equates to the ship time on any given day. It takes all of about two minutes max to change.

"Auto time zone" adjust can be turned off and you can set/reset the phone time to whatever zone equates to the ship time on any given day. It takes all of about two minutes max to change.

Ha. I was thinking this would work [emoji4][emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is not available on my cell phone, which I leave in the safe.

Do not use your cell phone as your clock because it could very well be different than ship time and that is the ONLY time that matters!!!

We saw a young couple on the dock in St Martin who got left behind by the Oasis because they had used only their cell phone.

St Martin does not recognize Daylight Savings time so they were an hour off.

Have a great cruise!

1) Wear a watch

I find it easier to change an analog watch or clock than digital ones. But you know us vals.:o

Look at any click in your LA neighborhood pretty much any time between the beginning of March and the end of October: it will give you a fair picture of what Daylight Savings Time looks like.

Okay, what is a click? I click mouses and remotes all the time, but I've never actually seen a click. What do they look like? Can you post a picture?

I use a analog watch only. Takes me about 5 seconds to change it when we start/end daylight savings time. Don't really see how a digital one is easier. :rolleyes:

I use a analog watch only. Takes me about 5 seconds to change it when we start/end daylight savings time. Don't really see how a digital one is easier. :rolleyes:

Cause I fly out of California to the East Coast and thus have to change three hours back and forth. With a digital, all I have to do is push one button.

Okay thanks!! I will be on Carnival Breeze if that helps, sailing out of Galveston. I will keep a watch with me and adjust it accordingly to whatever time the ship is on.

So the ship will notify us what the local time is, correct?

Carnival usually stays on local time, embarkation city time. So if you are leaving out of Galveston & returning to Galveston, you will be on Central time. Carnival does switch the clocks if they are doing a repositioning cruise. If the embarkation city time is different than the disembarking city time- they will change the clocks at some point during the cruise. They will notify you in the daily Fun times when the clocks are to change. I too suggest using an old fashioned wrist watch.