Zuiderdam, Rotterdam?

bzv143

Looking at a Holiday cruise and ran into both the Zuiderdam and Rotterdam. Both do Caribbean, both are the same length. A balcony on Rotterdam is same price as an SS on Zuiderdam--cannot figure out why.

Any opinions on which is better?:confused:

"Better" is strictly an opinion...there is no right answer. Each ship will be favored for a variety of reasons. Some like the larger ship, some the smaller ship, etc.

As to the pricing info, HAL uses complex systems to figure fares. As Amsterdam and Zuiderdam are significantly different sized ships, you can't compare their fares apples to apples.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Price difference is the result of supply and demand. Rotterdam has fewer verandah cabins. As on other smaller HAL ships, anything with a verandah, is a "suite," either vista or neptune or pinnacle (no signature suites)

Zuiderdam has regular verandah cabins, plus signature, neptune, and pinnacle suites (there are no vista suites on a vista ship, go figure :rolleyes:).

We will always chose the smaller HAL ships over the larger ones -- that is us. Rotterdam is one of our favorites for its decor, color, art and whimsy.

Since you like the Rotterdam wondered if you had ever heard any info re: Handicapped Cabin # 3399. It has the weirdest layout I've ever seen, and wondering if it really is accessible. Husband uses a scooter and I'm wondering where to park it to be out of the way. Anybody know about this cabin?????

Nan

Since you like the Rotterdam wondered if you had ever heard any info re: Handicapped Cabin # 3399. It has the weirdest layout I've ever seen, and wondering if it really is accessible. Husband uses a scooter and I'm wondering where to park it to be out of the way. Anybody know about this cabin?????

Nan

Don't know the cabin, but I assume HAL has to meet strict accessibility requirements if they offer handicap cabins. I suspect others who do use scooters readily on HAL ships will soon be along to help. The crew always appears very accommodating to mobility challenged passengers. This has been our observation after many cruises.

Not only does the Rotterdam have fewer balconies, but it only has a single swimming pool (not a good think in warm weather areas). The brilliant minds of HAL replaced the Rotterdam's aft pool with the largest bird bath at sea.

Hank

Not only does the Rotterdam have fewer balconies, but it only has a single swimming pool (not a good think in warm weather areas). The brilliant minds of HAL replaced the Rotterdam's aft pool with the largest bird bath at sea.

Hank

It was one of the worst "upgrades" HAL has yet to execute! For this reason alone I would forgo the Rotterdam which was one of the Top 3 HAL ships for us.

Interesting question; we have been on both ships. Compared to other cruise lines the library is wonderful; comparing both ships, the library on the Rotterdam is very special. The Rotterdam has a laundry (if that matters); the dining on both ships is very comparable, along with the pool areas. Both ships are very "Holland America" which I think means, exquisite food and service without the outside entertainment on offer by some other cruise lines (meaning goofy golf, rock climbing wall, flow rider stuff...); it all depends on your priorities; and what matters to you. On balance, if given a choice, we'd probably choose the Zuiderdam.

On the subject of pools, the birdbath on Rotterdam would definitely send me to Zuiderdam. A holiday cruise is likely to have many families, and with lots of kids and one pool, it could be hectic.

Also, the Vista ships have larger spas, with a thalassotherapy pool, nicer than just hot tubs.

The pool issue would sway me to the larger ship for a Holiday cruise with lots of kids in the pool so having the adults-only aft pool would be nice, and in the Caribbean I think would lend to wanting to go swimming....

I'd give careful consideration to type of room I'm looking for... Rotterdam has such a lower percentage of balcony rooms (with premium pricing) so if that's what you'd like I'd say go for the larger ship. If you are looking for lower cost rooms, the insides on the Rotterdam have couches, not so for some insides on Zuiderdam, only the Large insides. Also there is a difference in if you'll have a frig/cooler in the room, not on Rotterdam in lower cost rooms. If you're checking out suites it sounds like you're not looking at lower cost room but I thought I'd include it in my comparison.

On Zuiderdam the library is part of the Crow's Nest up top, sharing the space with other events... but on a short Caribbean cruise it may not matter much. Rotterdam has a better library space.

A Holiday Caribbean cruise sounds like fun! m--

I haven't been on the Rotterdam in nearly a decade - and we are back on her again. I go to the aft to see the views, so as long as there is sitting areas, we are good.

Our itinerary is different and not a Caribbean. If I was simply doing a Caribbean, I would be taking a hard look at the time in ports, comparing and choosing.

Zuiderdam treated us well when we were on board ;)

It was one of the worst "upgrades" HAL has yet to execute! For this reason alone I would forgo the Rotterdam which was one of the Top 3 HAL ships for us.

When we last cruised the Rotterdam....one crew member (a friend) would quietly call her the "Rottendam" and we were in agreement. On our crossing from Rotterdam to NYC (this was a special commemorative voyage) a water leak caused a large port-aft section of the MDR to reek of mold. Because the ship was full, the staff continued to use this "Rotten" section (it was scheduled to be repaired a few weeks after our voyage) and quickly moved anyone who complained. Those that were too polite to complain, or who had lost their sense of smell, were cheerfully accommodated in the moldy section.

As to the "upgrade" it was simply about greed. The modification (removing the aft pool) opened up space for additional cabins! As I recall, they did a similar modification to one other ship...but stopped further mods after all the complaints. The Prinsendam also suffered through a modification (that added cabins) although they were able to keep a small aft pool.

Hank

"Greed" is such funny, subjective and intentionally pejorative word. Not sure it is the best way to describe any and/or all HAL decisions. Maybe they thought adding these aft cabins would be more cost effective, in order to keep prices down.

I certainly don't know and am not sure anyone else has a direct crystal ball into HAL decision making operations. I expect upfront businesses to maximize profits and cut bottom lines, as long as they don't kill their original business mission. They know more than we do when they cross that fragile line.

And certainly from a passenger perspective some decisions look like mistakes, regrettable mistakes. I just wish we could not arbitrarily inject "greed" into these types of discussions. But, to each their own. That is my take on using this particular word.

Edited by OlsSalt

When we last cruised the Rotterdam....one crew member (a friend) would quietly call her the "Rottendam" and we were in agreement. On our crossing from Rotterdam to NYC (this was a special commemorative voyage) a water leak caused a large port-aft section of the MDR to reek of mold. Because the ship was full, the staff continued to use this "Rotten" section (it was scheduled to be repaired a few weeks after our voyage) and quickly moved anyone who complained. Those that were too polite to complain, or who had lost their sense of smell, were cheerfully accommodated in the moldy section.

As to the "upgrade" it was simply about greed. The modification (removing the aft pool) opened up space for additional cabins! As I recall, they did a similar modification to one other ship...but stopped further mods after all the complaints. The Prinsendam also suffered through a modification (that added cabins) although they were able to keep a small aft pool.

Hank

The other ship they modified was the Veendam. HAL isn't the only line adding cabins in order to increase revenue. Cunard just added cabins to QM2 by converting underused spaces to cabins. They're going to add cabins to the back of one of their Vistas, too.

"Greed" is such funny, subjective and intentionally pejorative word. Not sure it is the best way to describe any and/or all HAL decisions. Maybe they thought adding these aft cabins would be more cost effective, in order to keep prices down.

I certainly don't know and am not sure anyone else has a direct crystal ball into HAL decision making operations. I expect upfront businesses to maximize profits and cut bottom lines, as long as they don't kill their original business mission. They know more than we do when they cross that fragile line.

And certainly from a passenger perspective some decisions look like mistakes, regrettable mistakes. I just wish we could not arbitrarily inject "greed" into these types of discussions. But, to each their own. That is my take on using this particular word.

But don't you know that "greed is good." :)

Nan

Found a thread from 2013 about Rotterdam cabin 3392 which is also handicapped..They were not happy.

Take a look at this thread before deciding: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1871441&highlight=rotterdam+handicapped+cabins