Celebrity Experience - Unempathetic Corporate Office

lifeasme123

And I meant door issues (at least to happen as many times as the OP experienced) are rare...after about 5 trips to the front desk someone should have figured out it might not just be the card?

Blame game.

Guest Services said the cards they gave me were good. They can see in their system that I tried to to open the door with my card. So it's the door.

Engineering said it's not the door, but the actual key card. This was because Engineering can open my door with their card.

I asked Guest Services and Engineering to be at my cabin the same time. But because of all the issues on the ship, engineering was not able to give me a time someone will be there to meet us.

Edited by jen70

Excellent question! I was able to get drinks as the bar, dining room, etc.

And you couldn't do that if you did something to demagnetize the card. Nothing that happened was caused by you. Glad that a Celebrity Rep called you and gave you some satisfaction. Only once did they treat me unfairly and they later admitted that I was right and they just couldn't do anything. Believe me they made up for it more than once.

Excellent question! I was able to get drinks as the bar, dining room, etc.

And you couldn't do that if you did something to demagnetize the card. Nothing that happened was caused by you. Glad that a Celebrity Rep called you and gave you some satisfaction. Only once did they treat me unfairly and they later admitted that I was right and they just couldn't do anything. Believe me they made up for it more than once. I have been more than pleased by their responses to a variety of situations over the years. Unfortunately your first contact was not typical and their unprofessional behavior caused you added stress.

And you couldn't do that if you did something to demagnetize the card. Nothing that happened was caused by you. Glad that a Celebrity Rep called you and gave you some satisfaction. Only once did they treat me unfairly and they later admitted that I was right and they just couldn't do anything. Believe me they made up for it more than once. I have been more than pleased by their responses to a variety of situations over the years. Unfortunately your first contact was not typical and their unprofessional behavior caused you added stress.

Unfortunately it is the first impression - and it took 3 emails and 2 phone calls to get some satisfaction (not counting the hours spent on this on the ship). Oh well - cancelled our Dec 2017 cruise with them and book a July 2017 Med cruise with another company. Unbelievably great customer service so far I have had with this company the past couple of days. Need to figure out an Australian cruise for Dec 2017. DH and I are willing to start over on our status - put our discretionary income where it is appreciated.

Maybe in 5-10 years I may cruise with Celebrity/RCL again....and it will probably be because of the itinerary.

I learned a lot from this thread from experienced cruisers. Things to do next time regardless of cruise line or ship. I love your idea of getting the business card of the Hotel Director and GRM -- never thought of that!

Edited by jen70

Exactly! I would then be dealing with possible missing laptop, tablets, etc.

I figure on a cruise it would take a pretty big set of...it would take someone pretty brave to go into a stateroom.

We don't even use our safe..leave laptop/ipads/cameras in our room all the time.

and you are right i'm not from NY/NJ ;);) I don't even lock my car doors when parked at home.

Unfortunately it is the first impression - and it took 3 emails and 2 phone calls to get some satisfaction (not counting the hours spent on this on the ship). Oh well - cancelled our Dec 2017 cruise with them and book a July 2017 Med cruise with another company. Unbelievably great customer service so far I have had with this company the past couple of days. Need to figure out an Australian cruise for Dec 2017. DH and I are willing to start over on our status - put our discretionary income where it is appreciated.

Maybe in 5-10 years I may cruise with Celebrity/RCL again....and it will probably be because of the itinerary.

I learned a lot from this thread from experienced cruisers. Things to do next time regardless of cruise line or ship. I love your idea of getting the business card of the Hotel Director and GRM -- never thought of that!

It sounds like your dissatisfaction is with Celebrity. Why would you not sail Royal Caribbean? Although the holding company of the two is the same, the two cruise lines are distinct entities and their managements are not intertwined.

It will be a full year as of 9/11, and I miss helping others as well. Hope all is well!

I did not realize your history. After checking your posts, I get it.

First off, thanks for your honest efforts in your other iteration.

Secondly, thanks for your observations since then. They confirm what many here believe. So sad.

I wonder why the room steward's key always worked if it was a mechanical issue?

I have over 10 years of working in Industrial Maintenance. When reading through this thread, my first thought was that if one key card worked and another didn't, it's not likely that the mechanism downstream of the reader was the problem. Troubleshooting. It's what I get paid very well to do.:D

I figure on a cruise it would take a pretty big set of...it would take someone pretty brave to go into a stateroom.

We don't even use our safe..leave laptop/ipads/cameras in our room all the time.

Please do stow your valuables out of sight in your room if you've been leaving things out in plain sight. Just because someone can afford to cruise does not mean they have the same values, culture, and ethics. I'm not advising paranoia and stress, just some sensible precautions when you're around people you don't know. We normally don't see our cabin neighbors until a few days into a cruise so I wouldn't even be able to tell security if there was a stranger in your room a few doors down, just picking up a your very nice $$$ camera while everything is looking at the marine life/sail away/show. Or that the person walking down the hallway staring at an iPhone was looking at their own iPhone vs yours.

I have over 10 years of working in Industrial Maintenance. When reading through this thread, my first thought was that if one key card worked and another didn't, it's not likely that the mechanism downstream of the reader was the problem. Troubleshooting. It's what I get paid very well to do.:D

I wonder if the crew keys are different stock/types? I'm sure guest keys are printed on cheap LoCo (Low coercivity) cards with brown mag stripe since cruisers are usually only on board for a few weeks, at most, and again it is cheap. Could staff keys be HiCo with black mag stripe which hold the written signal better? http://www.idcardgroup.com/blog/post/how-to-choose-magnetic-stripe-(swipe)-cards-protect-them-from-damage.aspx Crew keys need to last a lot more swipes and for months. Thee security/staff team which would issue new crew keys is probably smaller than Guest Services and if a crew member can't log into their system, that impacts their work schedule. That might explain why the security and stateroom attendant keys with stronger signal would work in an ailing card reader.

Edited by travelpeon

It will be a full year as of 9/11, and I miss helping others as well. Hope all is well!

Must say we feel guilty for whining in the past (hindsight is 20/20). You were masterful in trying to provide assistance regardless of how few facts you had to work with. There have been a few threads this week that you would have doused quickly that just continued to flame up. We really appreciated your genuine effort to help, regardless of the potential outcry (i.e., drink package price and inclusion changes). Patient and professional, and if there was a "call" on the boards for help, you were there. We miss you!

Additionally, we hope that life is treating you well with whatever new endeavors you are engaged in. Thanks again.

Had your email said the following ONLY, you may have had a differnt result:

I became an unwilling participant in the blame/finger-pointin game between maintenance and guest services.

I had a cabin where the door would not open whenever I put the key card in. For the first 3 days of the cruise, I made many many trips to Guest Services to get new keys - all times of the day. None of them worked. Imagine how many times one goes in and out of your cabin - that is how many times I had to visit Guest Services to get a new card. Even one occurrence resulted in multiple trips for a key card because the new card (just given to me) did not work. There were times I was fortunate to find a cabin steward to let me in, eliminating a trek to Guest Services.

Day 4: Maintenance replaced the key card reader. Everything was functioning as expected until Day 6.

Day 6: Key card reader failure. Up to this point, I have been very patience, respectful and nice to all staff. But when the reader failed, I ended up just crying. I have been pushed to my breaking point.

It was discovered on Day 6 that I have a bad door mechanism. So maintenance spent a few hours replacing the entire door mechanism.

I didn't answer it because I don't know. I'm waffling because I would like a voucher (as some posters suggested) but at the same time I do not know if I want to give another penny to Celebrity.

To be honest if you're treating a cruise line as a "water taxi" I think you'd be better off on another line. If the whole cruise experience is not something you're interested in pick a much cheaper line like MSC. They'll get you to where you want to be no problem and you'll save hundreds of dollars too. :)

Just out of interest though, what size future cruise voucher do you think they should have offered you?

I did read that post. For some reason I just feel that there is different level of treatment: those like you with a room with a butler (high paying customers), repeat X passengers, and then first timers like me.

I disagree strongly here. A butler is great because you have a go to guy who will deal with everything you ask for pretty much. No need to stand in line for customer services etc or waste time making reservations, you just tell the butler what you want etc and it all gets done. But that said every customer is entitled to the same level of respect and customer service. We've received excellent service when sailing in AQ also, so I don't believe suite guests are treated differently.

Remember too that the cruise lines want repeat customers so it's important to make a good first impression, so have to disagree here. Not sure if you've noticed but the X ships are sailing at full capacity these days, just check the available rooms a couple of weeks before sail date. It can even be difficult to get the room you want on some of their more popular itineraries so they must be doing something right overall.

I understand the law of average, and my experience is an outlier. If my experience is part of the "average" complaints, I would not be as irked. But what happened to me and my 6y.o. is not acceptable. If they do not see that, then they are not worth another penny.

Additionally people are posting their experiences on this thread, so I see a common trend, which is very similar to what I am dealing with.

I can tell you're still very angry. Put it down to experience, find another line. If they had as many unhappy people as you seem to perceive they wouldn't be sailing at full capacity and ordering four new ships though would they? Sadly I think you were very unlucky. But move on and enjoy your family vacations elsewhere. :)

Edited by Mynki

You have my sympathies. It was always obvious that your hands were tied when replying to posts.

It's a shame because that role could become such a useful one here on CC and could add value to both the forum and customer service from Celebrity.

As I've said before, the person on the Azamara forum does a great job, why can't X?

Good luck in your new role.

The major complaint seems to be the door issue, but something still doesn't make sense. If the true cause was the door mechanism, why could the room steward get in without a problem? I wonder if the OP was storing the SeaPass card in a way that was damaging the code on the cards? Perhaps next to another credit card or some magnetic source?

The major complaint seems to be the door issue, but something still doesn't make sense. If the true cause was the door mechanism, why could the room steward get in without a problem? I wonder if the OP was storing the SeaPass card in a way that was damaging the code on the cards? Perhaps next to another credit card or some magnetic source?

Personally, I don't think the card types are the same. I've had a similar experience where the steward's key let me in 80% and mine would not let me in 95% with the same door mechanism. Engineering & Security replaced the batteries, reprogrammed the lock, and both our keys worked 100%. I mentioned a few posts back that my personal guess is the guest keys are cheap not-very-good-magnetic-signal keys while crew are provided the higher quality signal strength and more expensive keys.

Personally, I don't think the card types are the same. I've had a similar experience where the steward's key let me in 80% and mine would not let me in 95% with the same door mechanism. Engineering & Security replaced the batteries, reprogrammed the lock, and both our keys worked 100%. I mentioned a few posts back that my personal guess is the guest keys are cheap not-very-good-magnetic-signal keys while crew are provided the higher quality signal strength and more expensive keys.

OP indicated that they replaced the card reader which would have addressed any issues with different types of keys. The entire door mechanism was replaced after this did not resolve the issue. I'll still vote for the OP somehow reprogramming her key.

I have read this whole thread, a few times. I understand the annoyance of the card endlessly not working.

At the same time - I still believe that there was something threatening and entitled in the OP's demeanour. Her endless threats to take her business elsewhere and general "I'm special" attitude has not gone unnoticed.

Must say we feel guilty for whining in the past (hindsight is 20/20). You were masterful in trying to provide assistance regardless of how few facts you had to work with. There have been a few threads this week that you would have doused quickly that just continued to flame up. We really appreciated your genuine effort to help, regardless of the potential outcry (i.e., drink package price and inclusion changes). Patient and professional, and if there was a "call" on the boards for help, you were there. We miss you!

Additionally, we hope that life is treating you well with whatever new endeavors you are engaged in. Thanks again.

Thank you for the kind words. I really enjoy this community, and hope everyone continues to enjoy cruising and helping others as much as possible.

I've been applying for some new positions at some other cruise lines, and hope to one day return here to represent the community. :D

Oh, and Host Andy deserves a lot of credit. He is always looking out for the community!

So, I've had quite the opposite experience. I emailed a letter to corporate on Friday and today (Monday) at 11:48am I got an email from Lorenzo D. F&B Operations Director. He thanked me for taking the time to send feedback and asking when I would be available to chat. I was busy all day and responded at 3:20 that I was free then. He called me within a few moments and we had a very nice discssion.

Edited by colombiangirl

• 2 weeks later...

Just my thoughts. I think you have handled your posting very well, there have been many negative comments thrown your way but you seem to take the suggestions and learn as you go...I can respect that. I would not have been very happy either with a non functioning key card and other door problems extremely frustrating.

I hope things work out better for you in the future...wish you luck

Captain Club staff arguing with me for about 5 min. I asked for the paper that showed where the activities were for Elite members. Rather than just providing me a copy, the person and I spent 5 min bantering:

CC staff: I gave you a copy of it already.

me: No you didn't.

CC staff: Yes I am sure I did. I always give that to passengers when they first come up to the table.

me: I still don't have the paperwork. Can I get another one?

cc staff: well what happened to the one I gave you?

me: I didn't get one.

...on and on and on. This should have been a 5 second conversation with her giving me another copy.

I am very confused at the last sentence and the one a few prior. Twice you mention getting ANOTHER COPY--- you must have already gotten one????