Celebrity Experience - Unempathetic Corporate Office

lifeasme123

ut you didn't answer my question. Are you still hoping for additional compensation?

I didn't answer it because I don't know. I'm waffling because I would like a voucher (as some posters suggested) but at the same time I do not know if I want to give another penny to Celebrity.

Don't know if you saw my post in this thread about an item of my property being damaged by a leaking tap on Millennium but I was compensated very quickly with no quibbles at all. So I don't think Celebrity are no good at all. In fact we had an issue on my last cruise and that problem was immediately dealt with professionally.

I did read that post. For some reason I just feel that there is different level of treatment: those like you with a room with a butler (high paying customers), repeat X passengers, and then first timers like me.

So I think your unfortunate experience (And I would be seething in your position) is very much the exception and not the rule. The scores achieved by averaging thousands of peoples opinion on a site like this would suggest that the cruise line offers very good service. The fact that the ships are sailing at full capacity or very, very close to it speaks volumes. I don't for one nano second this your experience is indicative of what thousands of other sailors will experience every week.

I understand the law of average, and my experience is an outlier. If my experience is part of the "average" complaints, I would not be as irked. But what happened to me and my 6y.o. is not acceptable. If they do not see that, then they are not worth another penny.

Additionally people are posting their experiences on this thread, so I see a common trend, which is very similar to what I am dealing with.

Edited by jen70

I truly understand your frustration. We had the same merry go round on who was going to fix the problem on our Thanksgiving cruise onboard the Constellation. It was a 5 night cruise to the Caribbean and the temperature was in the 90"s. Our air conditioner did not work for 3 days and very hot nights. Every afternoon we were promised it was fixed and every night it sounded like a jet engine was going off in our room but no cool air was coming out. Many trips to managers, finally spoke to the Chief Engineer and on the 4th day of a 5 night trip a new part was finally put in and the problem fixed. The solution from Celebrity for not being able to sleep for three nights out of a five night cruise was a $100 future cruise certificate. Busy week no other rooms available, we were in a Concierge Balcony cabin. Very, Very frustrated,

we were on a Family cruise and this problem should not have taken 4 days to fix this problem.

I am sorry this happened to you. As I read the postings from others I am noticing for those with major issues like yours and mine, there is little or no satisfactory resolution. Postings like yours are providing clarity for me.

OP -- Sorry that this happened to you, and that you are having difficulty getting the issues resolved. I would point out, however, that some very experienced cruisers have taken the time to give you some excellent advice, here. And yes, it is easy to get your feelings hurt on this (or any social media) forum. But, sometimes you have to sift through garbage to find the gold! :cool:

Nah - my feelings are not hurt. I just find it interesting how people can post "opinions" based on assumptions they made. Seriously, for what I had to deal with on this cruise, I wouldn't wish that on those posters.

I learned a lot...and got great info/advice from Orator, WngCruise, etc. For most part, feedback have been constructive for me.

My original intent were two-fold:

1. To post my experience. That is what I have done in the past - good and bad. I post to TripAdvisor, complete surveys, etc. I just viewed this as another forum to post ones experience.

2. To get constructive feedback/suggestions. I was pretty confident that I was not the only person treated this way. I wanted to get advice from others how they handled their particular situation. Learning experience for me.

Unfortunately the thread turned into something else and I am finding myself standing up to cyber bullying.

I had surgery recently and at home resting. So I have nothing better to do than research for my next trip via cruise critic (port, roll call, etc)

I don't see where you're being bullied...I've seen plenty of Cruise Critic threads turn ugly over the years, and I don't see this as one of them. If that's how you perceive it, I'm sorry.

Here's my take...it sounds like Celebrity really dropped the ball on your door issue, both on the ship and post cruise.[emoji46] Unfortunately, I think your letter, while it wasn't your intent, muddied the waters in Celebrity's eyes. By complaining about things such as the boarding procedures you took attention away from the real issue, which was your malfunctioning door lock. From what you described, Celebrity followed their standard boarding process, which is different from Royal Caribbean's and much more dependent on your cabin class than RCI's.

Things can happen on any cruise line, and in my opinion a company keeps or loses my business by how they respond when things don't go according to plan. I don't blame you for not wanting to give Celebrity another shot...they really performed poorly.

FWIW, I don't think any of the major cruise lines are great with complaints or when things go wrong, but a calm, carefully worded letter that focuses on the one or two main issues as well as highlighting the things that were wonderful helps. I've actually found Celebrity to be pretty strong in that area, with an on-board management staff that interacts with passengers (many don't), so your experience is something of a surprise to me. I hope your future cruises are more problem-free.

Cindy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry you had this problem and even sorrier that it has had such a profound effect on you. Fortunately my experience has been just the opposite and even though at times it takes a while for complete resolution, I have found them to be overly generous in trying to make things right.

There is a CC member who commented very nicely about your issue which is a little unusual for this person on these boards. Consider that a big positive!!!:) Hopefully, one way or another you can find some peace and Celebrity will, at the very least, track down where the ball was dropped and do something about your experience with customer service on this ship...if this happens, please let us all know.

Edited by Lastdance

First, I'm glad you received a reply from a Celebrity Representative who was more motivated to listen and adhere to a higher level of customer service.

This thread has taught me tips on how to approach customer service resolution. So thank you for asking and sharing. Not all guests are trained in negotiation, conflict resolution, and typical hospitality interactions. I'm glad that large corporation hospitality industry guest facing staff is generally trained in such things so we, as guests, usually receive a good experience. Sometimes it just isn't enough, though, and knowing the potentially corrective steps can alleviate a lot of stress.

Did you get a small card with Hotel Director, Cruise Director, Guest Services manager contacts at a Cruise Critic meetup? Celebrity usually sends some officers to the official Cruise Critic meetups and that is a good way of getting such information rather than asking a hostile or apathetic front line staffer. I've never thought about asking an operator since the phone systems usually default to automation (and my cynicism says the operator in the middle of the night might be that Guest Services agent who refuses to fix things). Sometimes they've also announced their extension right after introductions so a pen & paper is also useful. It is also a good time to confirm any independent excursions with fellow roll call members (+ organizer's cabin # if you don't have it) or perhaps re-introduce yourself to some CC families you've met elsewhere on the ship if your daughter likes playmates. I've found it a great time to get fellow cruiser opinions on other cruise lines, too.

I've experienced the same issue with a lock not operating properly (the keys were fine) on one cruise. The batteries were dead and the lock itself also had to be reprogrammed. It can be hard to convince Guest Services that it is not "user error". Guest Services probably deal with plenty of people who accidentally demagnetize their cards but vehemently deny doing so and actual mechanical or power failure less frequently. This may color their decision making, opinions, assumptions, and attitudes. Form letters are also the standard response until you insistently pursue it with the correct people when a company isn't investing significantly in customer service.

Edited by travelpeon

Hi Jen70,

Sorry to hear of your experience onboard Millennium. I'm not about to get into the "who's right & who's wrong" debate, but I can certainly understand your frustration. I'd be frustrated too, if it took several days for my cabin door to work properly. With that said, I've sailed on Celebrity countless times, and that's simply not the Celebrity we've loved over the years. To be clear, I'm not doubting you... but I am surprised.

I'd like to strongly suggest that if anything goes wrong on a future cruise, and you see you aren't getting anywhere with Guest Relations... to immediately ask to speak with the Guest Relations Manager and/or the Hotel Director. Escalating your concerns to higher levels generally offers better success, in a shorter period of time.

I sincerely hope you will take some time and reconsider consider giving Celebrity another chance. I realize you may not be feeling it right now, but they are a wonderful cruise line. Why not try one of their Solstice class ships ? They are absolutely beautiful.

Wishing you and your family all the best !

You see, Andy, this is why we will miss you so much. (With apologies for hi-jacking the thread.)

Yes, I miss the old "Celebrity Cruises" poster. He would read something I would post here on CC and then contact me via direct messaging on Twitter. Kind of freaked me out at first - you know that "Big Brother watching" type thing. But he genuinely wanted to help and try to resolve issues.

It's almost year now he's been gone.

It will be a full year as of 9/11, and I miss helping others as well. Hope all is well!

It will be a full year as of 9/11, and I miss helping others as well. Hope all is well!

Nice to know you're real.

Wish you still had your old position but thanks for past help.

I think a computer replaced you (re-preprinted answers).

Nice to know you're real.

Wish you still had your old position but thanks for past help.

I think a computer replaced you (re-preprinted answers).

Yes, it is nice that you are still here -- even if it's in an "unofficial" capacity. You helped me out on a couple of occasions that I remember -- just wanted to say "thanks"! :cool:

I think for the OP it was the "straw that broke the camel's back" syndrome, and I don't blame her for feeling so overwhelmed and helpless. I once cried about the same type of door issue, and it was all on the first day, when 3 people came to help until they FINALLY called the engineer (you are right, they all think it is operator error) (this was in a hotel, not a cruise). I wonder why the room steward's key always worked if it was a mechanical issue?

Edited by warmwinds

Let's try this.

To the Op, I hope you try Celebrity again. Door issues are rare.

Not that rare. I have had my card stop working on almost all the cruise lines. Royal Caribbean most often, followed by HAL and Princess. Sometimes on Celebrity. Had one stop working at the Embassy Suites last December. A few weeks ago I stayed at a hotel with the RFID tap type cards. Never had one of those fail. The cruise lines should replace all the magnetic cards with those.

Edited by Charles4515

CelebrityCruises was one of the better ideas employed by Celebrity. Not all of the best people went to the Royal side, some great people either joined Celebrity or returned to Celebrity. These include Raffaele, Bernhard and Julie.

Not that rare. I have had my card stop working on almost all the cruise lines. Royal Caribbean most often, followed by HAL and Princess. Sometimes on Celebrity. Had one stop working at the Embassy Suites last December. A few weeks ago I stayed at a hotel with the RFID tap type cards. Never had one of those fail. The cruise lines should replace all the magnetic cards with those.

I wonder if in those cases the card would work, for example at the bar?

I don't know if door readers are more sensitive than a cash register for example?

And I meant door issues (at least to happen as many times as the OP experienced) are rare...after about 5 trips to the front desk someone should have figured out it might not just be the card?

I am not sure how it happened. When I checked in online, my account showed Elite status. When I checked it at the terminal, it showed Select status.... .

What do you mean my "when I checked in at terminal is showed select"?

Did your express pass have "elite" on it? If yes, they should have been able to fix that. (maybe the check-in person couldn't have done it, but onboard they should have been easily able to...by showing them the "elite" express pass)

The OP should know what their level on Celebrity should be since they are members of the loyalty program and their cruises are recorded. If they are Diamond on Royal Caribbean, they are Elite on Celebrity. If they are less than Diamond on Royal Caribbean, they are less than Elite on Celebrity. Either (A) They knew that a mistake was made by indicating "Elite" and they didn't report it to take advantage of the mistake (I don't believe this is true), or (B) Celebrity made a mistake and that happens a lot).

I wonder why the room steward's key always worked if it was a mechanical issue?

In troubleshooting (on Day 4), they thought the card reader's probably near it's useful life. It read staff and crew's key cards, just not ours. So they replaced the card reader in the door. Everything worked fine until Day 6 when it would not read anyone's key card. Housekeeping Officer brought down the old fashion key to open the door. Engineering replaced the entire door part (reader, door handler, etc).

The OP should know what their level on Celebrity should be since they are members of the loyalty program and their cruises are recorded. If they are Diamond on Royal Caribbean, they are Elite on Celebrity. If they are less than Diamond on Royal Caribbean, they are less than Elite on Celebrity. Either (A) They knew that a mistake was made by indicating "Elite" and they didn't report it to take advantage of the mistake (I don't believe this is true), or (B) Celebrity made a mistake and that happens a lot).

This issue was resolved once the ship set sail. I went to Captain's Club and they swapped our cards for Elite cards.

And regarding the question why I did not look on my boarding pass, I do not have a good answer for that other than I did not think about it. We were all excited about the cruise and did not care.

Again, the boarding was not a big deal. I was curious if this was how Celebrity did the boarding - that's all. The person from Celebrity who called me said it does depend on the place of embarkation. Some do have an area for Elite, etc and others do not. So for Vancouver it did not - which is fine.

In troubleshooting (on Day 4), they thought the card reader's probably near it's useful life. It read staff and crew's key cards, just not ours. So they replaced the card reader in the door. Everything worked fine until Day 6 when it would not read anyone's key card. Housekeeping Officer brought down the old fashion key to open the door. Engineering replaced the entire door part (reader, door handler, etc).

Same thing happened to us. They had to bring a "master key" to open our door. That key is big too! :D

And to let people know, I was in 9140. So if you have that room on an upcoming cruise, bear in mind the possible issues!

Edited by K.T.B.