Automatic Gratuities

pullen0

I've been on 5 cruises in the Caribbean (2 different lines) and there's never been a requirement for 2 outfits for each day. :confused:

Do you wear your MDR outfit for the day in a 80+ degree Caribbean port all day? My plan is to pack 1 pair of pants that I will change into before going to the MDR for the 4-5 evenings I plan to eat there. Hopefully that won't offend the sensibilities of those in a higher class than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you wear your MDR outfit for the day in a 80+ degree Caribbean port all day? My plan is to pack 1 pair of pants that I will change into before going to the MDR for the 4-5 evenings I plan to eat there. Hopefully that won't offend the sensibilities of those in a higher class than me.

The cruises I've been on are "cruise casual" for everyday. Only one (sometimes 2) formal nights. We usually wear the same clothes for both of those (if there's 2). We don't do excessively taxing excursions while in port, so our "daytime" clothes are fine for dinner.

My husband does change out of his shorts (if he wore them that day) for dinner, however.

Any how, back to the question at hand - since you are aware of the tipping onboard the ships, why not just go ahead and include them when you pay for your cruise? I don't see it as a "bait and switch" at all.

Tipping has for a long time been part of the cruising world. Yes, there was a time that the rich folks would tip those servants who did an exceptionally good job for them, or a special task. That evolved into a "standard" tip for all cruisers as the lesser rich people started cruising.

Edited by Shmoo here

Probably because Pride of America doesn't go where I want to go?

Is it unreasonable for a person vacationing in the CARIBBEAN to be able to expect to wear shorts on a CARIBBEAN vacation and not have to pack 2 outfits for every single day? Does the desire to wear shorts infer whether one is a good tipper or not?

If this is a topic you don't want to discuss, you're free to scroll on past the thread title. I have been able to answer several questions by doing a forum search but if it's forbidden to start a new thread for something that's already been discussed, then the last new thread would probably be several years old. The reason I prefaced the thread the way I did was to show I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel or start a flame war.

But it seems like you are since the cruise lines have decided how they do things and you don't care for their ways. You want the gratuities included in the fare or at least more transparent than they are.

Not sure how people don't understand that there will be tipping on a cruise. No one goes to a restaurant thinking there's no tipping and many leave a tip for the room attendant in a hotel. People tip for those services on land so why not on a cruise? The mass market lines do not advertise as being all inclusive.

But it seems like you are since the cruise lines have decided how they do things and you don't care for their ways. You want the gratuities included in the fare or at least more transparent than they are.

Not sure how people don't understand that there will be tipping on a cruise. No one goes to a restaurant thinking there's no tipping and many leave a tip for the room attendant in a hotel. People tip for those services on land so why not on a cruise? The mass market lines do not advertise as being all inclusive.

A very nice and reasoned answer.

Lots of people don't tip in restaurants.

In fact I'd suggest that it a small percentage of the World population that do.

As I stated in my OP, they're all BUT mandatory. If I have to go to the desk and specifically request that I not be charged, what's the difference?

I along with nobody else seem to think that any of the staff don't deserve a good wage, be it through a higher wage or a lower wage plus tips. I'm not going to opt out of the tips. My point is if everyone agrees with the OVERALL price paid, why must we stick with this current pricing system? If the overwhelming majority think the 18% is good, what is the benefit of advertising one price instead of adding the 18% to the price to begin with? If it isn't to make the price more appealing to sell more cruises, then I don't know what it is.

I'm not intending for this to be a hostile subject and don't see why it needs to be.

Of course it's to make the price more appealing. (And some other reasons already mentioned.) Most of us are pulled in by a low initial price. But unless you've never cruised before, you just add the other charges in mentally. the same with port charges and taxes.

Princess tried listing their cruise prices with the port charges and taxes already added in; didn't work, since people look for that low price, even if it is, kind of, deceptive.

I like pre-paid grats; it's just easier and I don't like the feeling of handing out tips on the last day like some kind of demi-god blessing the masses.

Unless you take the tips off and then don't tip at all--I've heard a certain number of people do--it all comes out the same anyway.

I like pre-paid grats; it's just easier and I don't like the feeling of handing out tips on the last day like some kind of demi-god blessing the masses.

Yeah, I'm made to feel like a Walmart shopping heathen if I don't pass a $20 to the dock line rope knotter each and every time I get off the boat.

We had to eat out twice in one day and the gratuities came to $9.50 per person (at roughly 20% of the bills). Seems reasonable to pay what the cruise lines charge for three meals a day and twice a day cabin service. I don't see why someone doesn't have a problem with a restaurant making its customers pay the wages of its staff but do have a problem with the cruise lines doing the same thing.

The reason people have a problem is because they see the total of tips at the end of a cruise as a big item - even seeing the $25 per day for a couple as significant, while they do not see how a series of individual tips at different places will add up to as much, or more.

The reason people have a problem is because they see the total of tips at the end of a cruise as a big item - even seeing the $25 per day for a couple as significant, while they do not see how a series of individual tips at different places will add up to as much, or more.

The concept is still the same, though and that was what I was questioning. Of course people don't see the concept as the same because of that big whopping total at the end of the week, but it is the same concept at work.

It's definitely a psychological thing. I understand that if I tipped at point of interaction, I'd often leave more than by prepaying. But tips used to be done at point of interaction to ensure a good interaction. If the person providing the service knows they're tip is already given, what's the incentive to provide good service?

Not only that, there are multiple posts here suggesting how much to tip stewards, bartenders, servers, etc on top of the already paid automatic gratuities. If I recall correctly, there were envelopes in our cabin on my first cruise to leave even more tips for the steward, etc. It's akin to passing the offering plate around at the church twice because you weren't gracious enough the first time it came around.

Lots of people don't tip in restaurants.

In fact I'd suggest that it a small percentage of the World population that do.

But, the OP is from the US and I was speaking to him and the culture he is from.

Yes, and in those other parts of the world, the restaurant prices are higher. BTW, some restaurants in the US are trying the no tipping with higher menu prices. I've read of places trying in and they ended up going back to the "old way". Servers don't like it because they say they can make more with the traditional tipping system.

It's definitely a psychological thing. I understand that if I tipped at point of interaction, I'd often leave more than by prepaying. But tips used to be done at point of interaction to ensure a good interaction. If the person providing the service knows they're tip is already given, what's the incentive to provide good service?

Not only that, there are multiple posts here suggesting how much to tip stewards, bartenders, servers, etc on top of the already paid automatic gratuities. If I recall correctly, there were envelopes in our cabin on my first cruise to leave even more tips for the steward, etc. It's akin to passing the offering plate around at the church twice because you weren't gracious enough the first time it came around.

I'm sure they would appreciate it but there is no obligation to leave more than the recommended amount. The person providing the service onboard knows full well that you may remove the tips, so it isn't a certain thing (something that would be lost if the tips were included in the fare). I only tip extra if the service warrants, which isn't every cruise.

But, the OP is from the US and I was speaking to him and the culture he is from.

Yes, and in those other parts of the world, the restaurant prices are higher. BTW, some restaurants in the US are trying the no tipping with higher menu prices. I've read of places trying in and they ended up going back to the "old way". Servers don't like it because they say they can make more with the traditional tipping system.

But would the servers make more with point of interaction tipping that the prepaid tipping? If I'm charged an automatic gratuity, I'm highly unlikely to leave any more than that and I'm far from alone in that.

I'm on a 7 night cruise with 5 ports of call. I will eat lunch at the buffet after boarding and the one sea day. All my other lunches will be eaten off ship. I will eat my breakfasts in the buffet and planning on going to the MDR 4-5 nights for dinner. My automatic gratuities are being charged at the same rate as the person who will eat every single meal in the MDR.

So in my case, point of interaction tipping would net the crew less but I also wouldn't be subsidizing the tips of those who use far more of their services than I do.

But would the servers make more with point of interaction tipping that the prepaid tipping? If I'm charged an automatic gratuity, I'm highly unlikely to leave any more than that and I'm far from alone in that.

I'm on a 7 night cruise with 5 ports of call. I will eat lunch at the buffet after boarding and the one sea day. All my other lunches will be eaten off ship. I will eat my breakfasts in the buffet and planning on going to the MDR 4-5 nights for dinner. My automatic gratuities are being charged at the same rate as the person who will eat every single meal in the MDR.

So in my case, point of interaction tipping would net the crew less but I also wouldn't be subsidizing the tips of those who use far more of their services than I do.

You are not understanding that your automatic gratuities cover all dining venues (except room service). It doesn't matter if you eat in the MDR, buffet, or other venues. The staff rotates and works in all locations. Therefore, unless you don't eat a single meal on board, which is highly unlikely, you are paying the automatic gratuities to cover all your meals in any location. Prepaid is a pretty good deal!

You are not understanding that your automatic gratuities cover all dining venues (except room service). It doesn't matter if you eat in the MDR, buffet, or other venues. The staff rotates and works in all locations. Therefore, unless you don't eat a single meal on board, which is highly unlikely, you are paying the automatic gratuities to cover all your meals in any location. Prepaid is a pretty good deal!

When I go to a buffet that I have to stand in line to plate my own food and get my own drinks, I don't tip the person taking the dirty dishes the same as I do a waiter at a sit down restaurant who does all that for me.

What percentage of cruisers eat every meal on the ship vs those who eat meals in ports? The automatic gratuities are the same for the person who eats every meal or the person who eats a bulk of their meals off ship. I will miss at least 5 lunches and 1 dinner due to the time I will be in port.

When I go to a buffet that I have to stand in line to plate my own food and get my own drinks, I don't tip the person taking the dirty dishes the same as I do a waiter at a sit down restaurant who does all that for me.

What percentage of cruisers eat every meal on the ship vs those who eat meals in ports? The automatic gratuities are the same for the person who eats every meal or the person who eats a bulk of their meals off ship. I will miss at least 5 lunches and 1 dinner due to the time I will be in port.

Generally speaking, "the bulk of their meals" really cannot be eaten off the ship. Most ships are underway during dinner through breakfast. So, if you eat all available meals that you can off the ship, it's only like 33% of them.

Yes, you would tip a "server" in a buffet differently than a "server" in a sit down restaurant. But, onboard the ship, the servers that serve you behind the buffet line, as well as the ones who pick up your dishes are the same ones. Do they not both get some sort of tip?

The cruise line are just "making it easier" for the tips to be sorted out to all who would normally get them. And I feel the cost for those tips (usually in the $12-$15 range on most cruise lines) is a fair amount for all the service. That's meal servers, room stewards, bus boys. And, on some cruise lines, the tips also cover behind the scenes people (laundry, kitchen staff, restroom attendants).

So adjust them accordingly if that is your wish.

Prior to auto tips people used envelopes to tip the dining room staff, but the dining rooms became ghost towns on the last night from everyone skipping out on dinner to avoid the tip (at least that is my understanding), so with the auto tips the staff is making more.

I think the OP is just having fun with you

For every post where someone tries to give the answer they come up with another argument

anyone smell a troll ??

Maybe not so much a troll, as someone who argues a point until you give up and say "OK". Maybe trying to justify removing gratuities?

So how do you figure out how much to tip?

We generally start with 20% of our restaurant bill and adjust up or down accordingly. Since you aren't getting a bill for your dinner, or your lunch buffet, how do you know how much to tip? How much is too much? Too little? Do you leave more for the head waiter and less for the assistant, or leave them both the same, or leave it and let them figure it out? Then, everyone has to go to GS to get change for their tips they are leaving all over the ship.

No thanks - I'll keep the current system, please.

Edited by ScottsSweetie

Maybe not so much a troll, as someone who argues a point until you give up and say "OK". Maybe trying to justify removing gratuities?

I'm not removing the gratuities but it is highly likely that's all the gratuities they will get. The cruise lines make automatic gratuities all but mandatory and then pass out the plate again in the form of envelopes and the seeming expectation (often discussed here) that more tips are required on top.

Again if this subject is so offensive, people are free to scroll on past.

I'm not removing the gratuities but it is highly likely that's all the gratuities they will get. The cruise lines make automatic gratuities all but mandatory and then pass out the plate again in the form of envelopes and the seeming expectation (often discussed here) that more tips are required on top.

Again if this subject is so offensive, people are free to scroll on past.

What cruise line still passes out tip envelopes? I haven't seen them on the three cruise lines I cruise on for years and if I wanted any, I would have to go to the Guest Services desk and ask for them. Edited by NLH Arizona

What cruise line still passes out tip envelopes? I haven't seen them on the three cruise lines I cruise on for years and if I wanted any, I would have to go to the Guest Services desk and ask for them.

IIRC, there were envelopes left in my RC cabin a few years ago.

IIRC, there were envelopes left in my RC cabin a few years ago.

That was before automatic gratuities. When RCI started sutomatic gratuities they no longer left envelopes in cabins. Same with other cruise lines.