Capri and Pompeii?

roknrollr

So this is pretty much my first post (ok 2nd but first new topic) so forgive me if this question has already been many times.

We'll be docking in Naples in mid October and are in port from 7am till 8pm. This is the one port that seems to offer way more than one can do in a day. I've been searching for some kind of tour that offers just visits to Capri and Pompeii that will fill up the day but haven't had any luck in finding one. We'd be willing to do it on our own as opposed to an organized tour so I guess I'm looking for thoughts/ideas/suggestions. It's our first visit ever to Italy and I know the Amalfi Coast is beckoning right around the corner as well, but I think we'll save that for a trip when we can spend some more time.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suspect that your difficulty lies in the fact that each of those locales, Pompei and Capri is usually done as a single day and no practical tour would try to combine them. You will more likely find Pompei in conjunction with amalfi as you are going the same way. Capri is easily DIY but usually is a whole day experience

Thanks wheezedr! Yeah that's kinda what I'm finding that there are no tours with this combo that we're looking for. RCCL offers a Capri/Sorrento/Pompeii tour that lasts all day but I'm just afraid of not being able to spend enough time in each spot.

Perhaps look at a boat-train loop . I.e. Naples to Capri, Capri-Sorrento, then Sorrento-Pompeii train, and Pompeii- Naples train. Or you could do it in reverse. You wouldn't really have a enough time to do all of those places, but perhaps just going via Capri on the boat is nice enough.

You can appreciate a large part of the beauty of either Capri or Sorrento just by the boat trip to get there and across the bay of Naples.

Unless you've got 3.5 hrs on Capri, there's no point going there.

Edited by gary222

What is your purpose in wanting to go to Capri? Be aware that visiting the Blue Grotto takes a minimum of 90 minutes, but you need to budget two hours. If you're going to try and combine Capri with Pompei you'd pretty much only have time to go to the Blue Grotto and maybe a quick wander around the piazzetta before you'd need to push on. If you don't go to the Blue Grotto you'll get to see more of the island.

You've got a really long day in port with 13 hours, so let's play with how it would lay out and then you can decide if it makes sense.

The first ferry you can get departs at 8:05 and arrives to Capri at 8:50.

For the return you'll need to be back on the ship at 7:30 and, since sunset in mid-October is around 6:30 PM, you'll be well into twilight by then. For perspective, the ruins at Pompei close at 7:30 PM until the end of October (from November - March they close at 5).

So in between you've got a lot of time, what you're asking is possible in that time frame.

If you want more time in Pompei (about four hours) you can take one of the 12:20 PM ferries from Capri to Sorrento. If you want more time on Capri (a little more than four hours) you can take the 1:35 ferry (SNAV).

So here's how the day would lay out:

More time in Pompei schedule:

7:30-ish depart ship and walk to the adjacent pier, Molo Beverello, for the high speed ferry to Capri. Find the SNAV ticket office to purchase your tickets.

8:05 - 8:50 ferry from Naples to Capri

8:50: Immediately upon arrival on Capri go to the ticket office at Marina Grande (turn right after walking in from the pier) and purchase your tickets for the crossing to Sorrento

9 - 12 Enjoy Capri

12:20 - 12:40 ferry from Capri to Sorrento

1 PM train from Sorrento to Pompei Scavi

1:40 - 5:55 PM enjoy the ruins at Pompei (four hours)

5:55 PM - 6:31 PM Circuvesuviana train from Pompei Scavi to Naples Garibaldi

approx. 6:45 PM Metro line 1 from Garibaldi to Municipio, walk across the street to the cruise port.

More time on Capri schedule variation:

9 - 1ish Enjoy Capri (4+ hours)

1:35 - 2:05 ferry from Capri to Sorrento

2:55 - 3:25 train to Pompei (note that if you're fast and lucky you might make the 2:22 train instead, buying you another half hour at Pompei)

3:25 - 5:55 PM enjoy Pompei (two and a half hours)

Ferry Naples to Capri: https://www.snav.it/orari-e-tratte

Earlier ferries Capri to Sorrento: http://alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe or http://www.alicost.it/?page_id=202&lang=en

Later ferry Capri to Sorrento: http://www.caremar.it/index.php/it/orari/

Train Sorrento to Pompei and Pompei to Naples: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/sites/default/files/eavferro/Sorrento%20-%20Napoli.pdf

eurocruiser came up with an excellent plan, but you may want to have another alternative in mind. The weather in October is usually very good, but there may be very windy or stormy days and you might want to skip Capri in that case. Since you are DIY, you can vary the itinerary and go to Pompeii first and then on to Sorrento. Get your time tables and info ahead of time so you can be ready. And check your weather app.

BTW - there are many taxis at Pompeii. You could try to negotiate a drive to the Amalfi coast and back to Naples after you see Pompeii. No idea how much they would charge you, but it is a possibility.

"why would you want to go to Capri" exactly. Hell on earth. Blue grotto same same. I guess people go cos it's just one of those things one must tick off.

Great if youve got a couple of days relaxation there. Although I think it's probably still a hell hole.

Who advised you to not bother with Naples?

I will share that I did use the Royal Caribbean mega excursion to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri on my first ever cruise. I didn't know a thing about cruising and I didn't know much about do-it-yourself travel in Europe. So I took the safe route and booked this excursion. While it was acceptable, I would not recommend it to anyone. As you mention, it is indeed too much to do in one port day. We only really ate lunch in Sorrento, and we really only had enough time in Capri to walk around the central town and a park for a short while. The time at Pompeii was not bad, given the hot summer weather, but I went back on another trip and spent far more time there exploring what it had to offer. I would encourage you to either do this on your own or just pick one of the sites and focus on it. Both are great places and worthy of more time than the combined excursion offers.

If you did Pompeii, you could easily add in Herculaneum as a second site to see (it's on the way). Or you could easily add some time exploring central Naples to a trip to either Pompeii or Capri. You'd probably have enough time to spend a couple hours at the Archeological Museum if you wanted.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

"why would you want to go to Capri" exactly. Hell on earth. Blue grotto same same. I guess people go cos it's just one of those things one must tick off.

Great if youve got a couple of days relaxation there. Although I think it's probably still a hell hole.

Who advised you to not bother with Naples?

Really??

I realize you are relatively new to this site but in general it is considered good etiquette to offer constructive solutions to people rather than just running down others' plans....

Everyone's got different preferences. I think the Amalfi Coast is a huge waste of time and found Ischia deadly dull, but I enjoy Capri.

Really??

I realize you are relatively new to this site but in general it is considered good etiquette to offer constructive solutions to people rather than just running down others' plans....

Everyone's got different preferences. I think the Amalfi Coast is a huge waste of time and found Ischia deadly dull, but I enjoy Capri.

Think you'll find earlier on in this thread I offer a possible solution to the OP which includes some and all of the OPs plans.

Suggesting that the OPs plans may not be the best could be interpreted as 'running them down', but at the same time you might see I'm also suggesting alternative or at least asking the OP the reason for his plans and if might have considered alternatives.

I'd say that could be looked upon as constructive and perhaps constructive criticism of his original plans.

After all isn't the name of this forum 'Cruise CRITIC'?

Just returned this weekend from my Med Cruise on the Celebrity Reflection. Our final stop was Naples and since we had been to Positano previously (loved it), our group thought Capri would be fun.

It was fun, but I will tell you that it is VERY crowded. It is a version of planes, trains, and automobiles to get to the top of Mt. Solaro. But, well worth the view. The ferry is about 50 minutes, then you take a cable car up, then a bus to Anacapri, then a chairlift to the summit. It took us 2 hours from getting off the ferry to the top of the mtn. Stayed for about 30 minutes, took photos, had a gelato and returned down and did some shopping. It was worth the day but don't plan on doing much else on that day if you want to get to the top!

Just for info, we just missed the 8:35 ferry and ended up taking the 9:10 ferry across and the 2:50 ferry back. There are a couple of ferries after the 2:50.

Hope this helps!

Wow thanks everybody for all of the great info! Very overwhelming being our first trip to Italy and all, but I'm figuring we'll have to save a lot of it for future trips. Capri seems to be a gamble - Blue Grotto would be nice but not sure if we want to dedicate a couple hours for it and who knows if the weather will allow for it anyways. Euro Cruiser...thank you very much for the suggested itineraries! It's our 25th anniversary on this particular day and I kinda wanted to make it special. I appreciate all of the info and I'm sure we can make a plan to ensure its a day to remember!

Blue Grotto is not too important. There are actually a couple of other grottoes (red and green) which you can swim in. A great option is a boat tour in the morning with swimming, beer/soft drinks and then lunch and then Annacapri in the afternoon. We did this with Gianni's Boat five years ago and it was a great day. Another port day on another Med cruise, we did a Pompeii in the morning and Amalfi Coast for lunch and afternoon. Both were great port days and I would recommend either. OP, you might enjoy Positano as much as you would Capri, and wouldn't have the same rush. You can save Capri for the next time you are in Naples.

Ok, and as somebody who has to settle for the Hershey Bears....my thought is that Hockey fans from both Boston and Chicago have much to be proud. On the other hand, the Canadians must be wondering...."whatever happened to the Stanley Cup" :).

Hank