Question About MTP Cocktail Party

BigTimeCruiser

The CC host said basically it was decided that they wanted to keep it a more exclusive feel, and that it should be limited to elites as a result. I'm willing to believe it over it being a cutback for cost savings, simply because I'm not convinced they really have *that* many sailings where they don't have enough elites to fill the party.

What ever you want to call it, if Platinum's are not invited because of the lack of Elites on board, it's a money saver for the cruise line no matter how small.

Anytime there's the slightest amount of savings on the ships bottom line it reminds me of when I was working & everyone was required to submit a quarterly cost reduction idea no matter how trivial.

Someone in headquarters must have though up this idea. ;)

Maybe they can put paper napkins on the tables & not have to wash all those cloth napkins every day. :rolleyes:

Hi Ed,

Our friend Steve went to the MTP Lunch ever time I was with him and Peggy.

I think he had 1,300 plus days.

Tony

Kerridan? We haven't seen them in two years but have cruised with them often over the years. They've invited us to join them at the CC party several times. Maybe we've met?!? They don't have email...do you know how they're doing?

Edited by PescadoAmarillo

Just got off the Crown to Alaska. The cocktail party was in Adagio's and wonderful Definitely no cutbacks...we left after about an hour and there were several guests and officers still at the bar. The called to us to stay! Heavens, we would have needed a wheelchair to get back to our cabin if we stayed any longer! :D BTW, we would hate a 4:00 party...

Edited by Murphey

It's not a perk for elite either.

It is a perk for for the 40 Princess most traveled passengers (or at least it used to be) no matter what their Captain's Circle status.

So with 14 days I have a chance then? :D

Fingers crossed! :cool:

Our first time was as platinum also, so we would have missed it if that policy was in place back then. I remember being pretty shocked when we read the invitation and it dawned on us that the wording wasn't right for the regular captain circle's party. The Alaska routes especially can have really low number of nights necessary to make the cutoff, and possibly the holiday panama canal cruises too.

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just returned from a BTB Alaska on the Island Princess. No MTP on the northbound leg (39 elites on board) and no MTP on the southbound leg, Captains circle said that itinerary was just too busy to have one! Yeah sure. Mentioned on the southbound leg, "still too busy" but she did comp us a dinner at the Bayou. Mind the captain on the Island is not the most personable person, looks like a deer caught in the headlights when he speaks in public.

I believe they are saying that the MTP party started at 4 and then at 5 the private party ended and the bar opened up for regular use so free drinks were no longer supplied. I have seen cocktail parties and lunches for MTP - my favorite was years ago in Alaska where the captain had a champagne reception on the bridge while we were at Hubbard Glacier - outstanding

WOW what captain was that, I would sail with him.

Hi

Just returned from a BTB Alaska on the Island Princess. No MTP on the northbound leg (39 elites on board) and no MTP on the southbound leg, Captains circle said that itinerary was just too busy to have one! Yeah sure. Mentioned on the southbound leg, "still too busy" but she did comp us a dinner at the Bayou. Mind the captain on the Island is not the most personable person, looks like a deer caught in the headlights when he speaks in public.

We did a B2B on the Island to Alaska this year and we DID have the MTP cocktail party both ways. I agree on the captain. Who was captains circle host? Wondering if it was same gal as we had and if she had any influence in the change.

Last year on the Coral, there was an MTP cocktail party on the Northbound leg. There were 30 Elites on the sailing. No one else was invited.

On the Southbound leg on the Star, there was a MTP luncheon. On that cruise there were 60 Elites, so there was a cutoff.

Hi

That's equivalent or even better than a luncheon any day. :)

WOW what captain was that, I would sail with him.

I would also like to know who this Captain is? I do know that on some short B2B2B cruises we have been given dinner in one of the specialty places. We had a Captain on the Diamond last year that would have gladly not held a party. IN 28 days (3 cruises) he talked to us once and we were the top MTP. Not a real people person.

We received the invite to our first ever MTP lunch on Pacific Princess a couple of weeks ago on the August 28, 2017 Iceland cruise. We had 356 days before boarding this cruise so we hit "one year", 365 days while on this cruise.....seemed like a fitting time for the lunch invite!

I believe that quite a few responses to this question when it was first posted more than one year ago were by people confusing the MTP lunch with the Captains Circle party where the CC host introduces the three most travelled people on the cruise and drinks are free. The majority of passengers are unaware of the MTP lunch until they are eventually invited to it but almost everyone is aware of the CC party which To me sounds like the title of this topic, the "MTP Cocktail Party".

AE_Collector

Edited by AE_Collector
Typo....

We received the invite to our first ever MTP lunch on Pacific Princess a couple of weeks ago on the August 28, 2017 Iceland cruise. We had 356 days before boarding this cruise so we hit "one year", 365 days while on this cruise.....seemed like a fitting time for the lunch invite!

I believe that quite a few responses to this question when it was first posted more than one year ago were by people confusing the MTP lunch with the Captains Circle party where the CC host introduces the three most travelled people on the cruise and drinks are free. The majority of passengers are unaware of the MTP lunch until they are eventually invited to it but almost everyone is aware of the CC party which To me sounds like the title of this topic, the "MTP Cocktail Party".

AE_Collector

The most travelled can be either a lunch or a cocktail party at the discretion of the captain.

AE_Collector

Unless they've been invited to a MTP many people just assume it's the same as Captains Circle party which is hardly worth the time.