Question About MTP Cocktail Party

BigTimeCruiser

Last summer on our Alaska cruises the captain circle's host said that this policy was discontinued. On the northbound route, there were few enough elite that they could have invited platinum if they wanted. (Heck, they might have been able to do all the elite and platinum and not been much over the 40). On the southbound, they didn't hold it, and instead we were given a pass for dinner at the specialty restaurant. The host said that was the policy when they had under a certain number of elite.

Well even if the new way of doing things is determined by the ship I'd be overjoyed to hear that a dinner pass for a Specialty restaurant is a choice from now on. Most times we're on a Caribbean cruise & the number of Elites are usually in the hundreds so I guess they'll still be a party or lunch.

It's hard to believe that there were only around 40 Elite & Platinum on the whole ship.

Last year 3 weeks on the Emerald we had 3 cocktail parties which started at 7.15 There were only 3 sea days so that was why they did not have a luncheon

It was in Adagio and was amazing; we had drinks flowing all the time and took a glass of wine at the end for dinner as well.

No problems or short cuts at all

The officers were very friendly and we enjoyed long chats with several of them

I actually enjoyed these more than a couple of the luncheons we have had when the officer at the table was discourteous as he did not want to attend and he left as soon as he could The rest of the table were polite and good company

I actually enjoyed these more than a couple of the luncheons we have had when the officer at the table was discourteous as he did not want to attend and he left as soon as he could The rest of the table were polite and good company

I enjoy the parties much more too. Free food is everywhere all the time; free drinks not so much. Though we've never been seated with a discourteous officer, we've had some fairly curmudgeonly fellow passengers as table mates. The cocktail parties give us an opportunity to move around a bit if that happens.

What qualifies you to go to MTP? I am Platinum and will be Elite on my 2nd day of

my next cruise! I have never heard of a MTP party, but I haven't cruised Princess in 15 years.

It is based on number of days on board, no double credits for suites, number of cruises, or any other criteria that can get you to Elite status faster. The cut off varies, but on many cruises the lowest number of days is somewhere in the 350 to 400 day range. Alaska cruises do not tend to get too many repeat customers, thus the number of days can be lower. On longer cruises the number of days required to be invited tends to be high. On our 14 night Norway midnight sun cruise this past June the cutoff was well into the 400 day range. On our 7 and 10 day b2b's this past winter we were invited to the cocktail party with 347 days on one of the 7 day legs. On the 10 day legs we weren't even close to the cut off.

Well even if the new way of doing things is determined by the ship I'd be overjoyed to hear that a dinner pass for a Specialty restaurant is a choice from now on. Most times we're on a Caribbean cruise & the number of Elites are usually in the hundreds so I guess they'll still be a party or lunch.

It's hard to believe that there were only around 40 Elite & Platinum on the whole ship.

It wasn't a choice for the passengers, it was done instead of any sort of party on that leg (although we could choose the restaurant and date). It was on the Pacific in Alaska, so we started with a smaller number of passengers anyways, although I was a little surprised that the small ship didn't mean fewer first time passengers. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it was something along the lines of 16 elite and 20 platinum? I think total repeat passengers was around 130. #3 on the cruise was 175 days (although I don't think that included the 7 days I had from the northbound segment).

The main captain's circle party on that cruise was memorable too, although not for the party itself. It was held while sailing through Stephen's Passage, and the whales were out in force.

Last year 3 weeks on the Emerald we had 3 cocktail parties which started at 7.15 There were only 3 sea days so that was why they did not have a luncheon

It was in Adagio and was amazing; we had drinks flowing all the time and took a glass of wine at the end for dinner as well.

No problems or short cuts at all

The officers were very friendly and we enjoyed long chats with several of them

And that is a big difference when compared to the luncheon. At the luncheon you only get to have a conversation with the one officer who is at your table.

I could care less stopped free bees after 2 drinks. I've been once and will never go again. I'll never get that 2 hours of people trying to get as many drinks as they can because there free. Big waste of my time to many other things do on the ship

I could care less stopped free bees after 2 drinks. I've been once and will never go again. I'll never get that 2 hours of people trying to get as many drinks as they can because there free. Big waste of my time to many other things do on the ship

You're thinking of the repeaters party. The Captains lunch or cocktail party is a different animal altogether and definitely much nicer.

Last summer on our Alaska cruises the captain circle's host said that this policy was discontinued. On the northbound route, there were few enough elite that they could have invited platinum if they wanted. (Heck, they might have been able to do all the elite and platinum and not been much over the 40). On the southbound, they didn't hold it, and instead we were given a pass for dinner at the specialty restaurant. The host said that was the policy when they had under a certain number of elite.

On the Coral in July, there were 30 Elites. Only they were invited, no Platinums.

It really sounds like they're cutting back a bit. :(

Times were where Platinum's stood a chance of going.

This was about the 10th time we made it and the first time there were less than 40 Elites. So Platinum status was never an issue.

Cutting back??

Its not a perk for Platinum.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was always under the impression it was for the top 40 cruisers irregardless of their status based in cruising days. If they didn't get enough Elites to fill the positions it was given to the next in line (Platinum).

Maybe I'm wrong but I was always under the impression it was for the top 40 cruisers irregardless of their status based in cruising days. If they didn't get enough Elites to fill the positions it was given to the next in line (Platinum).

When I have sailed Alaska, where there are few repeaters, Platinum individuals were invited to MTP. It was not just for Elites. A long time ago, I even made it as a Platinum cruiser. Maybe times have changed?? I am sure it is up to the Captain Circle Host.

The CC host said basically it was decided that they wanted to keep it a more exclusive feel, and that it should be limited to elites as a result. I'm willing to believe it over it being a cutback for cost savings, simply because I'm not convinced they really have *that* many sailings where they don't have enough elites to fill the party.

The CC host said basically it was decided that they wanted to keep it a more exclusive feel, and that it should be limited to elites as a result. I'm willing to believe it over it being a cutback for cost savings, simply because I'm not convinced they really have *that* many sailings where they don't have enough elites to fill the party.

You could be right. Sad thing is that Princess could "really impress" a Platinum cruiser (who could possibly choose to sail Princess more) on those few occasions where they would qualify. I wonder if it is company wide or up to the Host.

When I have sailed Alaska, where there are few repeaters, Platinum individuals were invited to MTP. It was not just for Elites. A long time ago, I even made it as a Platinum cruiser. Maybe times have changed?? I am sure it is up to the Captain Circle Host.

I still don't see it as a cutback.

It was a perk for the Top 40 at one time, Platinum or Elite, they didn't care. Just a few years ago there were Platinum on my Alaska MT parties.

Well, maybe a "potential perk," but it's not listed in the literature as one: "Possible invitation to the MTP party if there are only 39 elite on any particular voyage." It may have been a lucky break for a Platinum to book a cruise with too few elite and thus get an invitation, but it would have been an "accident," so to speak, and not some heretofore agreed upon perk of status. Since it was never a real perk in the first place, I don't see how its absence makes it a cutback.

Cutting back??

Its not a perk for Platinum.

It's not a perk for elite either.

It is a perk for for the 40 Princess most traveled passengers (or at least it used to be) no matter what their Captain's Circle status.