It never gets old...

SummerXU

Many of us are fortunate to have quite a few cruises under our belts, but there are a few things that never get old. For me, it's the anticipation of check-in and waiting for them to hand me that precious S&S card. It never gets old!

Another thing that never gets old...my traditional embarkation day lunch of cheeseburger, french fries and DOD. That's my sign that vacation has officially started.

What never gets old for you? (Play along...help keep me entertained for these next 22 days until I board Valor!) :D

And me as well until we board Sunshine!

It never gets old:

Stepping into the atrium of a ship you have never sailed!

Spying the whale tail for the first time as you get to port!

Never having to drive any where for an entire week!

Watching the ship cast off as you set sail for the latest adventure of your life!

The problem with your post is there are so many things that never get old on a cruise that every post could go forever!!

When I asked DH what he felt never gets old on a cruise, he replied:

"Me." :p

walking the upper decks at night when far out to sea,feeling the breeze blowing over me,loving the peace and quiet,or laying out on Serenity late after everyone has left and watching the lights of the port we have left receding in the distance,falling asleep briefly on a lounge chair on Serenity late at night when nobody is there.:)

So many cool things about cruising that Land Vacations just don't have ... which is why I have FOUR cruises booked right now, 42 days till Conquest!

I love flying in the day before and enjoying a stress-free day before the "real" vacation begins....

Love that feeling of anticipation waiting to board ... and yes, I will ALWAYS buy FTTF (although after these cruises I only have one left before PLAT) because waiting to board is like torture ... and yes, I know it's only "ten minutes more" LOL

Love the first "ding"

Love exploring the ship and getting the lay of the land on Day 1.

The planning is fun too ... researching ports, excursions, etc.

Many of us are fortunate to have quite a few cruises under our belts, but there are a few things that never get old. For me, it's the anticipation of check-in and waiting for them to hand me that precious S&S card. It never gets old!

Another thing that never gets old...my traditional embarkation day lunch of cheeseburger, french fries and DOD. That's my sign that vacation has officially started.

What never gets old for you? (Play along...help keep me entertained for these next 22 days until I board Valor!) :D

Walking down the gangway, stepping over the threshold and getting the first look inside the ship...Love this thread...39 more days for my DD and me!

Booking a cruise never gets old.

Seeing the ship the day of or before you sail. I love the excitement of knowing for the next 7 days my calendar is blank.

-Sean

nothing wrong with it but i noticed none of the cards in your sig line are carnival cards. lol :D

I could go on and on..but will try to keep it short. We drive from Dallas to Galveston. I love when we get into Galveston and I see water...I love when I see the ship...I love when I get on and get my first drink on the Lido deck. I love meeting the cabin steward and waiters. There isn't much that I do not love. Last cruise on the Freedom August 13th we were getting a late night dinner as we slept through main dining (Cozumel night), we were by the back pool and our last cruise was Magic...The lady working at the counter was our waitress in MDR on the Magic and recognized us. We were so excited. I told my daughter to get near the counter and I would take their picture. Instead, the waitress came out to give us a hug and get a picture. It was such a pleasant surprise.

Opening the cabin door, checking out the cabin and then unpacking the carry on luggage. At that point the cruise has started.

Well: Actually, right at the end of Muster Drill is when I really feel like the cruise has started. :)

Take care,

Mike

Thanks to the OP for this great topic. If I cruise twice a year, it feels like two too few; three times a year, it still not enough. This truly is an addictive vacation habit. So many have already posted many of my "it never gets old" thoughts. Here are more thoughts, and a few repeats:

• Planning - I'm looking at the ports and onboard activities, beverage package options, and dining options for the next cruise, whenever that is. The planning builds the excitement and anticipation leading up to the cruise. It also helps me to enjoy the cruise more because I spend most of my time relaxing instead of planning for the next port.

• Pulling up to the ship - We sail out of Galveston most of the time. We also visit Galveston Island for other activities throughout the year. My favorite time to cross the causeway is when we are heading to the cruise ship. We cruised once out of Bayport, and other ports where the ship is not visible from a distance, and I missed the causeway crossing which offers our first glance of the ship. It is a happy moment :)

• Bong and Welcome Home - Love, love, love entering the ship. We cruised on Disney once and they announced our family name as we entered. On Princess they handed us a glass of champagne. Both are nice touches. Still, when Carnival offers the "Welcome home" greeting, it is just as sweet as the champagne. :)

• Cabin is ready, muster is over, and it's sail away! - Cruise cabins and hotel rooms get a quick disinfectant wipe or spray on the most used services (phone, remote, door handles) when I first enter. I won't explain all the reasons why, but it makes me more comfortable. So, after that, we go to lunch and explore or take a nap. Then it's muster and sail away. I love going to the highest points on the ship and watching the land fade as we pass out of the channel. On Carnival, I may join some of the line dancing, but I always want to watch as we sail away from land. That's where I leave work and the stresses of life.

• Sunrise, star gazing, and sunset - I don't think I will ever tire of my time on the balcony. When the neighbors keep the balcony lights off, I can see the stars at night, and I love the wee hours just before sunrise. Shortly after sunrise and room service coffee, or later if we sleep in. we are walking on the jogging track (;)) enjoying the horizon and the serenity of the sea around us. This is when I begin to settle into my vacation. I don't have to rush to get ready after our walk. There is nowhere I have to be at a set time, and any plans on board can be adjusted as we feel inclined. Ahhh...

• Everything else - The attentive service, not having to cook or clean, some pampering in the spa, and lovely dinners followed by some entertainment; I'm just a happy lady on a cruise. The ports are fun and we have enjoyed exploring different places, but I'm very happy on a ship. I'm so grateful for each day that I get to wake up on a ship and stay on the ship. :D

Edited by SeeJennyCruise

That first lunch on the Lido Deck; followed by that first walk around the ship, getting to know your home for the next X number of days. Whether it's my first cruise on that particular ship or if I've sailed her multiple times -- it creates feelings that definitely never get old!!!

I totally agree! For me it is driving to the port and seeing the ship for the first time, walking on board and having that first "drink of the day" in the souvenir signature cup and knowing that I have an entire cruise of fun and relaxation ahead of me. It never gets old even after 25 cruises.

For me, as much as I love the thrill and excitement of getting on board, its the moment the muster drill is over and I officially do not HAVE to do anything else but drink and relax for the next x amount of days!!!! That gets me every time :D

1. Boarding the ship - no longer have to keep people on a schedule, and I am officially on vacation.

2. Getting that first "Funtimes" even though we roughly know what will be going on, it is still that little thing.

3. First cup of coffee on deck as the sunrises and no one is around.

Edit

4. Loading the bags in the car to head to the ship

Edited by Domino D

After 22 years of cruising, the only thing that has gotten old is "ME"! Except when I'm on a cruise it's like the years, aches & pains disappear & I can party as long as the Advil lasts!

Laughed at this... At 58 my wife and I can cruise more as Galveston is close and she's retired.

What I can't do is drink and party like I thought I would be able to do. An hour on the bike or jogging track every morning means the weight gain on vacation is a little less.

The photo is from the Ecstasy over a decade ago.

Carnival cruise #28 is not far off, #29 was paid off this afternoon. I'll leave the Advil in the cabin up by the safe for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forumsdd6d73f4ecdbd653931e2e7f5efe8056.jpg

Edited by BallFour4