Princess MDR Menu Dictionary

smellycruzer

I'm curious whether anyone has compiled a dictionary of Princess MDR menu items. For those of us who have cruised countless times and frequent high-class dining venues, we have a solid grasp on the menu but I find myself explaining to cruisemates often and even a few times I must admit I'm not quite sure what every single word means. Just a couple I've seen on a recent cruise:

• Chilled Celery Root and Apple Veloute
  • Crawfish Etoufee
  • Gamberi alla Fra Diavalo
  • Double Beef Consomme with Mini Choux Buns

It would be nice to have an app or booklet with descriptions of the menu items and perhaps even a picture. There have been a few times I've misfired on entries and found myself going to the Horizon Court shortly after to finish off my meal!

lobster-and-seafood-pate-dill-mustard-sauce-pacific-princess-dinner-1-2011.JPG

This would be great! :)

Can you make the photos smaller?

Golly I wish I could but I can't find the edit button. That was lobster seafood pâté which I regrettably ordered once - not my photo but one I found on the Internet. I've generally avoided pâtés since that mishap. I've deduced that it is a European delicacy and I've yet to find one appetizing.

Even the Wikipedia definition doesn't make it sound appetizing:

Pâté is a mixture of cooked ground meat and fat minced into a spreadable paste

Now this would be useful in the Princess MDR dictionary!

Edited by smellycruzer

Crawfish Etoufee - yum! A staple from my hometown, New Orleans. Dh and I always order it in the MDR - not quite as good as in NOLA, but still very tasty.

The word étouffée (pronounced eh-too-fey) comes from the French word “to smother.” The best way to describe the dish is a thicker stew, seasoned to perfection and chock full of delicious, plump crawfish (or shrimp, depending on the season). In some ways, its similar to gumbo – same types of Creole seasonings, served over rice, and made with a roux, but unlike gumbo, étouffée is made with a “blonde” roux, giving it a lighter color and a very different flavor.

Gamberi alla fra diavola is spicy prawns/shrimp. Usually in a spicy tomato sauce. Fra diavola means Brother Devil. ;)

A veloute is one of the classic french sauces, like a white sauce but made with stock instead of milk so it is lighter.

Double beef consomme is a clear beef broth. Choux is a type of pastry (think cream puffs or chocolate eclairs). Mini choux buns are tiny choux pastry puffs added to the consomme as a garnish.

I'm curious whether anyone has compiled a dictionary of Princess MDR menu items. For those of us who have cruised countless times and frequent high-class dining venues, we have a solid grasp on the menu but I find myself explaining to cruisemates often and even a few times I must admit I'm not quite sure what every single word means. Just a couple I've seen on a recent cruise:

• Chilled Celery Root and Apple Veloute
  • Crawfish Etoufee
  • Gamberi alla Fra Diavalo
  • Double Beef Consomme with Mini Choux Buns

It would be nice to have an app or booklet with descriptions of the menu items and perhaps even a picture. There have been a few times I've misfired on entries and found myself going to the Horizon Court shortly after to finish off my meal!

Nice one.

I could probably add 30-40 pictures with descriptions from our PC cruise earlier this year. It looked like to me, they have a pretty standard collection of menus. We were on the 10-day, and in the bottom right corner of the menus, is says day # of 15-day Caribbean.

Many of us really appreciate the replies and descriptions. The only problem is taking you on the cruise with us so when something comes up we have a handy reference and interpretor. Anyone care to volunteer to come on my next cruise to explain the menu for me?

A good reference book would be "The Food Lovers Companion". It contains definitions of terms and ingredients so if you review the dinner menu outside the dining room in the afternoon, you'd have an idea of what the dish should be. It may be available in Kindle format as well. Sometimes Princess is a little overzealous in their descriptions to make something basic sound fancier so a particular dish may not be prepared the same way as you've had elsewhere but you can always send it back if you don't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes Princess is a little overzealous in their descriptions to make something basic sound fancier

That is so true! :D Many times, I've played the guessing game with my table mates about what something might be. Then we ask the waiter. ;) I don't know how many tians of seafood I ate before I found out what a tian was.

Does anyone really have a clear idea of what is in a knockwurst? I love eating them but have no idea really what it is.

So, because I was curious, I googled:

A knockwurst, also spelled knackwurst, is a sausage made from all beef and flavored with garlic.

Knockwursts are usually short and stubby. They are sometimes smoked. A knockwurst is cooked by heating it in hot water. Traditionally, a knockwurst is served with sauerkraut and hot potato salad. The German word "knack" means "snap." The original name "knackwurst" refers to the juicy "snap" made by the special, natural casing when the sausage is bitten. The vowel was changed to an "O" for the American market.

This would be great! :)

Can you make the photos smaller?

Most browsers will scale the image to fit your screen if you open the picture by itself.

In Firefox, right-click the photo & select 'View Image'.

In Chrome, right-click the photo & select 'Open image in a new tab'.

Other browsers should have similar options.

A good reference book would be "The Food Lovers Companion". It contains definitions of terms and ingredients so if you review the dinner menu outside the dining room in the afternoon, you'd have an idea of what the dish should be. It may be available in Kindle format as well. Sometimes Princess is a little overzealous in their descriptions to make something basic sound fancier so a particular dish may not be prepared the same way as you've had elsewhere but you can always send it back if you don't like it.

Yes it's available for Kindle. I have the 5th ed. Lots of info in it.

Great find! This would be a nice start to a Princess specific menu guide with pictures that CC'ers take off their meals.

I could probably add 30-40 pictures with descriptions from our PC cruise earlier this year. It looked like to me, they have a pretty standard collection of menus. We were on the 10-day, and in the bottom right corner of the menus, is says day # of 15-day Caribbean.

Could you post this here to share with others? It would be nice to compile a list here so others can look at this thread before their Princess cruise and get an idea of some different meals and work up a good cruise appetite!

Could you post this here to share with others? It would be nice to compile a list here so others can look at this thread before their Princess cruise and get an idea of some different meals and work up a good cruise appetite!

I will post a few as I get time with the holiday coming up. I believe we have some from Bayou Cafe & steakhouse too.

These were from the Coral Princess, 2/2016 PC Cruise:

Bayou Cafe:

Mardi Gras Peel-n-eat shrimp Piquante.

Char Grilled with Cayenne and Louisiana Hot Sauce

24474897294_7c911ac215_z.jpgA20 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

ToulouSe ChiCken and Chorizo Jambalaya

Creole Marinated Chicken, Smoked Sausage and Stewed Okra over Dirty Rice

25079237776_85616f043c_z.jpgA21 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

The CarpetbaGGer’S trinity Smothered filet of beef:

25105566315_f940003f10_z.jpgA24 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr

Side dishes with potatoes, rice, etc. to be shared with the main course.

24987386982_7b25e3e493_z.jpgA25 by Cool Runnings, on Flickr