La Guardia 411 - (congestion/construction issues)

138east

Thanks for the report back.  The ever changing situation at LGA means that any of the great advice you give for LGA now could change dramatically before the folks asking actually travel.  I hope folks will remember to post back when they are close to their cruise to get the current status of all the construction changes.

This is the official LGA Airport website, online with real-time & updated info 24/7/365 - I recommend that travelers & CC'ers using LGA to bookmark and use this, for current info & alerts, changes, etc.  - not weeks or months ahead, but maybe at a week out to 48 or 24 hours prior, to upcoming & last minute changes - as the construction work appeared to be on schedule but very dynamic, and fast moving.  

https://www.laguardiaairport.com/        << Bookmark >>

For all practical purposes, summer is a busy travel time for visitors to NYC, extending into the late Fall with foilage cruises ... and it's baseball in season at nearby CitiField, which can impact both local commuters & travelers alike - on Saturdays, airline traffic is lightest but not on Sundays, and weekdays are always unpredictable

A picture is worth a thousand words - here's 2 more that I took recently while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic on the parkway ... one can always wave at someone in the new multi-story parking lot.  Plenty of construction work ahead ... and that's not including the LGA AirTrain connection, a hot topic by itself.  

Collage 2019-05-11 09_06_30.jpg

Edited by mking8288

On 6/12/2019 at 10:54 PM, 138east said:

Thanks for the report back.  The ever changing situation at LGA means that any of the great advice you give for LGA now could change dramatically before the folks asking actually travel.  I hope folks will remember to post back when they are close to their cruise to get the current status of all the construction changes.

Appreciate the situation is very changeable, we are looking to book an LGA 08:15 flight on a Saturday morning. It appears that the congestion isn't so severe on a Saturday? If we were leaving our hotel in Manhattan, 52 West 36th Street, New York, would an hour be sufficient time by taxi?

There is a JFK flight at 08:00 but initially LGA seemed the better option as it's closer and taxi rates/online quotes seem high. I'm not so sure now!

We were there two weeks ago on a Monday afternoon , took my sister 90 mins to go from midtown to lga,  took us just 45 mins our Uber driver was really good, we were within a mile of airport in 20 mins then took another 25 mins to go last mile. We were in midtown also. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

Appreciate the situation is very changeable ... If we were leaving our hotel in Manhattan, 52 West 36th Street, New York, would an hour be sufficient time by taxi? ... I'm not so sure now!

Taxi is a metered fare ride to LGA, and final costs can vary depending on route taken & traffic conditions vs. a flat rate to JFK, both likely with a EZ-Pass toll of $6.12 added on and congestion surcharge.  Car service's toll charge is based on cash rate of $9.00 plus congestion fee ($2.75 per trip to/from midtown Manhattan)  

Early Saturday morning is "mostly" light with traffic leaving Manhattan - unless there are planned or emergency road work, constructions, lane closures & accidents, etc. ... yada yada - most taxi/car service/Uber drivers do check their real-time GPS navigation first for best route these days; and, can get you to LGA's airport exit in 30 to 45 minutes vs. 45 to 60 minutes to JFK.  However, getting to your airline's terminal for a quick dropoff is another story - situation at LGA is dynamic & changes by the day/week/month, can be 10 or 15 minutes or as much as 20 to 30 minutes extra.  Betwen JFK's highway exit onto JFK's roadway, it is usually at most 5 to 10 minutes.  

Not knowing when you are traveling, it's difficult to look ahead and see what might be hiding - here's another (head spinning) link from local DOT - 

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/weektraf.shtml

If LGA is backed up, ask the driver if it's better off to get dropped off in lower level or arrival, as most traffic in the early morning tend to be for departure & backing up on the upper level / service roadway edging toward the designated zones.  Good news is for flying out, you don't have to take a "free" shuttle from the remote parking lots to the terminal - B gates are the worst.  Just plan to get there early, once you get inside - it is so much nicer than the old days, sit back & relax and enjoy the free WiFi. 

(P.S.  Leaving hotel by 5 am is definitely safe enough ... should be fine) 

Edited by mking8288
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, George C said:

When we had landed at lga we were directed to walk to area then take a bus to taxi area, Uber driver in a large suv offered us ride for 80 we took it avoiding bus. 

For those who may be visiting NY City in the future:

Maybe someone just claiming to be an Uber driver? Uber drivers aren't supposed to just make random offers of rides to potential passengers. They're supposed to be limited to being hailed through the Uber app. Claiming to be an Uber driver is a pretty common scam. The $80 price is a bit high and suggests this could have been a scammer.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

For those who may be visiting NY City in the future:

Maybe someone just claiming to be an Uber driver? Uber drivers aren't supposed to just make random offers of rides to potential passengers. They're supposed to be limited to being hailed through the Uber app. Claiming to be an Uber driver is a pretty common scam. The $80 price is a bit high and suggests this could have been a scammer.

I was aware that they are not allowed to pick up , but it was worth the money for us. 

39 minutes ago, George C said:

I was aware that they are not allowed to pick up , but it was worth the money for us. 

Let me a little more blunt about why it's not a good idea to accept a ride from someone claiming to be an Uber driver.

A young woman who lived in our area was recently murdered (not in our area, but in the city where she attended college) by someone she thought was an Uber driver. 

Flying in Sunday June 30. I’m still kind of scratching my head on this one. 9:00a arrival.

I’m leaning towards a car service like dial 777. I guess I have as good a chance with them as any that 1) they will be aware of the LGA situation and I will be able to find my driver somehow? And 2) they will be aware of whatever traffic issues may be caused by the Gay Pride parade route being set up for later that day?

(The only other time I’ve been to Manhattan, we used a similar car service from JFK, and whatever was going on that day, our driver chose wrong and we spent an hour or two in one of those tunnels. I kept wondering what the heck happens if someone has a medical emergency in there. Or a bladder emergency.)

Edited by perditax

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Let me a little more blunt about why it's not a good idea to accept a ride from someone claiming to be an Uber driver.

A young woman who lived in our area was recently murdered (not in our area, but in the city where she attended college) by someone she thought was an Uber driver. 

Totally agree but a young woman was murdered by a licensed taxi driver where we used to live, unfortunately, you can't legislate for the occasional psycho. You can obviously take sensible precautions. Although, I'm sure most 'fake' drivers are just looking to make a quick dollar rather than murder you.

On that note, is it best to pre-book taxi services to and from the airport? We're flying JFK in and LGA out. Sorry, slightly off topic

3 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

On that note, is it best to pre-book taxi services to and from the airport? We're flying JFK in and LGA out. Sorry, slightly off topic

If you want to take a (yellow) NY City taxi you don't (and can't) pre-book.  You just get on the taxi line at the airport or cruise port.

If you want to use Uber/Lyft you summon them through their apps.

Car services such as Dial 7 and Carmel Limo are normally pre-booked.

We'd planned just to get a yellow cab but I wondered from comments on this thread if it was better to pre-book a car service?

Do yellow cabs have any luggage restrictions - we'll have 3 large suitcases plus carry-on's and some ordinary taxis have luggage capacity issues.

23 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

We'd planned just to get a yellow cab but I wondered from comments on this thread if it was better to pre-book a car service?

Do yellow cabs have any luggage restrictions - we'll have 3 large suitcases plus carry-on's and some ordinary taxis have luggage capacity issues.

We have had four large suitecases and carry on’s have had them sometimes put one of the suitcases in front but never had issue. 

• Thanks 1

@perditax - Parade route - starting at noon - is south of 34th Street/Macy's and your trip, even if using the tolled Queens Midtown Tunnel would be blocks north of the area with street closure in effect and given your timing, I wouldn't worry too much about it.   

Just let your taxi / car service driver check her/his GPS navigation and select the best/fastest route direct to the pier ... and you can always confirm by looking at your own Google Map/Waze to see.  From LGA on any given Sunday morning (we live 3 miles NE of the airport, across Rwy 31 on the Bay) one of the fastest route, once off the airport service roads & onto the Grand Central Pkwy heading west, is head for the RFK (formerly, Triborough) Bridge into upper Manhattan, across historic Harlem - traffic lights are well timed - then south direct on the Henry Hudson Pkwy to MCT/Pier 88-90-91 ... fast & a bit longer in distance, well worth the maybe $5 in mileage, to get there in 25 or 30 minutes on average, instead of getting caught in busy midtown traffic on 57th Street or even across Central Park via the transverse route.  

# General tips for all

Carmel car service has a kiosk/dispatch at Terminal B, by the FHV (For Hired Vehicle) area - there is no need to pre-book them ahead at LaGuardia, as there is no meet-n-greet.  Both Carmel & Dial 7 have free mobile APP on iOS & Android, we use Carmel most of the time and it works like the Lyft/Uber App, to book - confirm - reconfirm - see updated & real-time info on driver/vehicle/call/contact info within 5 minutes of pickup (driver on the way/in the immediate area) ... it just works for us.  You can pre-book them ahead but still need to call them when you are ready with luggage & everything.  

For those arriving on United, American, Air Canada, etc. at Terminal B's 3 sets of gates - the car service option "should" be a little faster getting out of the airport, as you do NOT have to (for now, until otherwise) take a 10-15 minutes shuttle to the designated ride/pickup point for a taxi (and, there will be dozens & dozens of them, if not hundreds lined in - in assorted sizes/capacities, including some minivans & growing # of Nissan minis that seat 4 with generous luggage capacity.)   Uniformed ID'd taxi dispatcher on duty will help you get into a properly sized taxi based on # of passengers & luggage to match the drop-off destination (max # of riders are 5 in a mini-van, same fare & no surcharge).   

For those flying out of LGA, it is somewhat less confusing, no shuttles ride to take - taxi, car service & Uber/Lyft will drop you off at your terminal, could be at arrival level if they see that it's badly jammed up at departure level - as I saw last week myself - assorted vehicles, buses, shuttles & private cars lined up 3 rows across, bumper-to-bumper moving along ... slowly.   As someone noted, easy 30 minutes from midtown to the exit ramp for LGA, but plan for at least 15 minutes to get drop off in front of the terminal.  

Please bookmark & use this official PA airport link for LGA for real-time, updated info on your day of travel, use info here as a general guide or reference.  Safe travel & happy cruising.  

Here's another set of pictures of Terminal B, arrival - lower level - plenty of major construction - the sky/walkway connects from departure level upstairs into the new multi-story parking structure, with the car service & Uber/Lyft pickup and dispatch area.  

Collage 2019-06-19 11_38_39.jpg

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2019 at 6:32 PM, George C said:

I agree but lots of difference between a 6’4” 270lb man and a young woman. 

How's that gonna work when he drives you to a deserted area? Even if you can take him out once you get there, is it really something you want to deal with? Fortunately it all turned out OK but it does sound like you got ripped off.

Related (but off-topic, sorry) story. We were in Rome recently and I had booked a shared taxi service to the port from our otel. We were staying in a "hotel" that was condo part of a unit located on the second floor of a building. My wife was downstairs waiting for him because my only phone service that day was when I had Wi-Fi, which required me to stay in the "hotel" area if I wanted to have a phone in case the taxi called me. My wife buzzed me to come down, said the taxi driver was there. He had to loop around the block because it was a narrow street and when he returned he put our suitcases in the trunk. Then he asked where the other two people were. We said there were just two of us. Apparently his reservation was for four people and when he realized his error, he took the suitcases out of the car and found his four people across the street. Now, this guy was a legit driver and I'm sure no harm would have come to us but we committed a real faux pas in not verifying our name with him or asking for his company (which my wife did not know and I did not ask since he seemed to be looking for us; it was not marked on the car). I had prepaid for the ride I had booked and I have no idea what would have happened had we gotten to the cruise in the wrong car and he was expecting to be paid. The correct driver arrived ten minutes later, still not a marked car but at least he had my name so I knew it was the right company that time.

Edited by MisterBill99

Sounds like you would be to scared to take a subway in Brooklyn in middle of the night which I did hundreds of times. I am really worried about someone a hundred pounds less than  me , since i know the city and I am behind him , lived in nyc half of my life, I am always aware of my where I am in nyc when traveling. You need to stay in westchester 😁😁😁

Edited by George C

12 hours ago, George C said:

Sounds like you would be to scared to take a subway in Brooklyn in middle of the night which I did hundreds of times. I am really worried about someone a hundred pounds less than  me , since i know the city and I am behind him , lived in nyc half of my life, I am always aware of my where I am in nyc when traveling. You need to stay in westchester 😁😁😁

I took the NYC subway to school/work for two decades and have no problem with it. I do have a problem getting into a car with an unknown person, especially after recent well publicized incidents and while I'm impressed that you're a big tough guy, many here would still tell you that it is a foolish thing to do (and note I was not the first to suggest against doing it).

BTW, many of the areas in Brooklyn which used to be dangerous are actually now very desirable areas.

We agree on one thing , I went to bushwick high school and if you told me 40  or 50 years ago that houses in that neighborhood would sell for a million I would have told you that you were crazy.

Sunday June 30, LGA terminal D : I was able to exit terminal, turn right and walk a few hundred feet to car service / ride share pick, easily meet my car service.

Sunday July 07: car service was able to drop me off directly at Delta terminal D. No shuttle busses etc.

Each trip was about 25 minutes, although this morning’s pickup was decidedly more exciting—NYPD was ticketing car service drivers parked across the street from pier 88, including my dial 7 driver. 

• 1 month later...

Latest summer travel alert on what to expect going to/from LGA, starting this week - FWIW 

https://www.businessinsider.com/laguardia-lga-summer-meltdown-delays-cancellations-traffic-security-weather-2019-8 

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/transit/2019/08/10/laguardia-airport-grand-central-parkway-traffic-pattern-changes-delays-getting-to-airport-expected#

U.S. Tennis Open, an annual event is coming to Queens ahead of Labor Day thru early September - traffic in nearby areas, if & when the NY Mets are at home at CitiField ... will, likely, make matters worst - especially during travel time.  Plan accordingly & allow extra travel time. 

The free MTA App, in iOS and Android, provides real-time bus/subway/train & route info, ETA to your bus stop as you wait and other advisories, etc. to supplement official updates from LGA Airport 

https://www.laguardiaairport.com/to-from-airport/by-taxi

Waze/Google Maps - recommended for real time GPS & integrated traffic routing, even if you are using a taxi, car service or Uber/Lyft, etc. to fact-check tolls & "best" or "fastest" way getting from A to B, etc.