La Guardia 411 - (congestion/construction issues)

138east

We returned from our cruise on the Escape at the Manhattan pier this past Sunday.  We got off, walked across the street and called a Lyft.  It was much cheaper than an Uber.  We were picked up at 0740 and dropped off at 0810.  The only traffic we hit was at LGA.

The fare without tip was $60.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, perditax said:

Sunday June 30, LGA terminal D : I was able to exit terminal, turn right and walk a few hundred feet to car service / ride share pick, easily meet my car service.

Sunday July 07: car service was able to drop me off directly at Delta terminal D. No shuttle busses etc.

Each trip was about 25 minutes, although this morning’s pickup was decidedly more exciting—NYPD was ticketing car service drivers parked across the street from pier 88, including my dial 7 driver. 

Was your car service Uber?  Would you suggest this when arriving later -- 11pm? or find a hotel with a shuttle?

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a pictorial update for LGA, one of the most "hated" transportation domestic airport hub in this region ... actually, I was here last week & again this morning, not too bad around/between 10 and 11 a.m. - traffic was moderate but moving, getting off the highway (Grand Central Pkwy or GCP) into the airport's service roads.  

Getting dropped off post-cruise, there are separate exits for the main/central - Terminal B, Terminal C & D used by Delta & other airlines further east (new ramps/access roads & new multi-level parking and drop-off) plus Terminal A, west of the other exits (coming from/closer to Manhattan) - also the designated free waiting lot to meet arriving pax ... i.e. limo, hotel & car shuttles, etc.) with JetBlue flights.  

Pictures illustrating the massive, ongoing construction work taking place - new ramps being constructed over the 8+ lanes highway overpasses - that will eventually, when finished, ease the misery to all the terminals ... closer to the parkway - as close as 1 to 2 years away from now.  The AirTrain connection is coming but that's another story by itself - not going to "discuss" or deal with that & "what if" here, period. 

For out-of-towners, here are your views coming out of arrival/street level from T-C or T-D ... (MTA bus & SBS services with connections to subway lines will be to your right - please get those MetroCard(s) from vending machine inside the terminal first - SBS bus routes, see the posted signs on how to first, do not board without getting a printed receipt !!)  If you are getting picked up by a LGA hotel shuttle, you will most likely need to turn to the left and get onto the next free "Red Route" shuttle first, with your luggage & carry-ons, plenty of racks for bag storage onboard, just a hassle & allow extra time.  

The quick ride to the pickup area at Terminal A is about 10 minutes or less (usually) - do not panic, you will be driven & "leaving" the airport and on local city streets but returning to/from LGA via 82nd Street parkway overpass, to the parking area at "A" - and then, look for your hotel & car rental pickup spots, or whatever.  

If you are using Carmel or Dial 7, or Uber/Lyft - you will need to get on the free "Green Route" shuttle to Terminal B, which is often the most congested (not shown here) also downstairs/outside in arrival level.  Confused & not sure where or which way to walk/go - there are friendly official "greeters" holding up signs "?" to help show you the way, just ask.  There are no Uber/Lyft dispatcher - only use the APP.  

On my way earlier to connect to the LIRR train/subway - took the MTA's Q48 bus, a popular local route used by off-duty flight crews with their rollerboard & cabin bags ... 2 AA uniformed crew still wearing their ID tags heading to town for some rest, somewhere, to the last stop.  

Collage 2019-10-10 16_26_40.jpg

Collage 2019-10-10 16_29_11.jpg

Collage 2019-10-10 16_33_29.jpg

Collage 2019-10-10 16_37_18.jpg

Collage 2019-10-10 16_44_43.jpg

Edited by mking8288

A question come up - sometimes - as to whether any of the airport hotels nearby at LGA are within walking distance, the answer is no, not recommended.  As seen from Terminal C & D - the Marriott Hotel at LGA is the closest one at 1/4 mile distance, over the 102nd Street highway (parkway) overpass to Ditmas Blvd - it is NOT safe nor pedestrian friendly, especially with the onging constructions & narrow lanes and it is not smooth nor illuminated at night.  

Until further notice, for arriving airline passengers - the hotel shuttle pickup is/remain to be from Terminal A on the far/other side of the airport - requiring a free airport shuttle ride first ... 10 to 15 minutes + wait time for the frequent shuttles - to get there; and, then to get picked up by the hotel's shuttle (sometimes, they are shared by more than one hotel ... yes, and, it can get filled up at peak travel times)

These shuttle buses are very much accessible friendly, with low ramps, some can be lowered further by the bus driver on demand, for ease of getting on & off - still, best to pack & travel light these days, especially when flying & with bag fees, etc.  Safe Travel ... 

Collage 2019-10-10 16_53_45.jpg

Edited by mking8288

• 2 weeks later...

@AF-1 - Happy to help fellow CC'er using local airports.  Hopefully, by next Fall ... a year from now, LGA would've made substantial progress and progressively opened up the newest addition to the airport facilities. 

Here's a new article written on TPG about LGA - https://thepointsguy.com/news/awful-laguardia-traffic/

This spot is outside the airport, across the parkway & where sometimes, travelers get out of gridlocked traffic, and do the long (and, unsafe) walk to get to their airline's terminal ...  It looks close & walkable, but is not. 

Getting in & out quickly, using MTA bus routes, including SBS limited, one of which goes to historic Harlem in Manhattan for connections to the subway - not a practical option for heavily packed cruisers - is actually quite good, but at $2.75 p/p per ride with free bus/subway transfer using a MetroCard, is a bargain.  We are literally across the Flushing Bay across the pond from the runway and from balcony rooftop terrace, watch aircrafts taking off & landing over beautiful sunsets.  A quick taxi/Carmel car service ride can be as little as 15 to 20 minutes - the bus w. a transfer for us, about 1 hour.  Hence, for long hual flights - we rather go to JFK, a little further & more expensive, but worth it.  Alas, there isn't a single fit-for-all answer that is "correct" and best/ideal/practical for everyone.  

IMG_20191003_112915946.jpg

IMG_20190806_111800226.jpg

Edited by mking8288

I have to say;  LGA is a mess.  I have flown in there so many times; and have always had car service.  Car service used to pick you up at baggage claim.  With all the construction still going on; we only hope the improvements will allow for better traffic flow, better pickups, and less congestion.  I still have until Oct 2020 for the system to change.  I flew into EWR in Aug and it was a breeze;  but now I understand EWR is going thru growing phase too

26 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

How is the situation for flying out at the moment? We're currently in Manhattan post cruise and fly out at 8.30am on Saturday. 

We're flying AA to Miami ...

This Saturday - early morning should be fine with dropoff - AA is at Terminal B, those departing LGA will proceed to curbside ... no need to take a free airport shuttle from remote/satellite lot at Terminal A to get to the airline.  It's the slowest day of the week for flights - weather looks great ... should be simple.  

Assuming you wish/should plan to be at LGA at 90 minutes prior, travel time from midtown Manhattan should be 30 to 45 minutes at most - yellow taxi on metered fare or car service (flat rate - Carmel or Dial 7) are all fine, leave at 6:15 a.m. and should be there by/before 7 - head inside, proceed to check-in counter.   BTW, free WiFi for all travelers at LGA - enjoy & safe travel ! 

On a side note - progress/milestone for the overall LGA project - the newly expanded Terminal D (Delta) is now open, with additional gates - extra capacity will be operational by next Monday - has no direct impact on those using Terminal B (AA, UA, AIr Canada, etc.) 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/delta-terminal-laguardia-new-york/index.html

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/10/29/laguardia-airport-delta-airlines-new-wing/

@CruisingFox27 - you are most welcomed and I hope, wish that everything will work out as outlined this Saturday for your flight onward to your next destination / home, etc.  Arriving into LGA is more complicated and as some travelers find out, difficult & not a positve experience - departing out of LGA is getting a little easier (mostly) but with holiday travel coming as peak cruising in NY begin to fade ... one can always expect the unexpected, life is full of surprises. If you do not mind, please kindly post & share your feedback and experience doing this ... afterward.  It can be very helpful to others, especially world visitors coming from overseas.  Do try to have a dry day ahead sightseeing our city.  Regards ! 

• Thanks 1

@mking8288 sorry to bother you again. We're a little concerned regarding being able to get a yellow cab early morning which will accommodate our luggage. I had a quote for a private car of $80 including tax, tolls. Does that sound reasonable? Uberx is $45 but didn't confirm tax and tolls included. 

We don't have these choices in rural Ireland🙄😎

31 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

@mking8288 I had a quote for a private car of $80 including tax, tolls. Does that sound reasonable? Uberx is $45 but didn't confirm tax and tolls included. 

We don't have these choices in rural Ireland🙄😎

Not bothered at all. $80 seemed a bit high, check online price quotes from Dial 7 or Carmel (we use them all the time) to see their confirmed price quotes, toll is $9.50 and can be included - we tip 20% & credit cards accepted - with eReceipt issued. A 4 door sedan should be fine for 2 - 3 adults plus reasonable luggage ... from Times Square hotel, shouldn't run more than $60 to $70 with everything added up. 

There should be taxis around, but I understand ... biased, not a fan of ride-sharing myself. 

(P.S. 2 big suitcases in car's trunk, 1 inside & you ride in front passenger seat, should work ... even in a "smaller" Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima, both has large trunk)

Edited by mking8288

Thank you. I'll look them up online or ask the hotel. We're just concerned  that we'll be standing around for a yellow cab as it's early. We had issues with suitable size when we disembarked due to our 3 large cases,  although only 2 people. Ride share isn't for us either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CruisingFox27 said:

... We're just concerned  that we'll be standing around for a yellow cab as it's early. We had issues with suitable size when we disembarked ... 

To get out to LGA.  There are always yellow taxi cruising around 24/7 looking for a fare with the competition from ride-sharing.  Just in case you rather have peace of mind - here is a link to latest Carmel promotion & website - the codes should be valid for a $3 off the base fare, as applied to LGA.   If you have cellular data/WiFi services while here in the US, download & use the Carmel App - the "Car Cash" option will get you a bigger discount - you can request it before booking, apply it & prepaid the entire trip with a credit card (it is secured & safe for us) ... this is "my" personalized Carmel Code that you can use (you do NOT have to use mine - Carmel will issue them to you via the app) #1041243.   The App works like those used Uber/Lyft for ride-sharing, once booked and within 10 to 15 minutes of scheduled trip/pickup - it will show the assigned driver/car's info, location en route & ETA, etc. - no surprises & driver will be in contact via automated text msg and/or voice calling your contact # or email.  

I show an online price quote from Carmel of under $40, including a $2.75 congestion surcharge from Manhattan - with tolls & tips, come to less than $55 USD ...  With a $3 to $5 or $6 discount, it's even less - much better than $80 quoted to you.  We tend to advise not asking the hotel as they usually get a commission for referring guests to their car service "partners".  I don't think you'll need a minivan - as the extra charge is now higher, $20 more (last time I book, it was either $10 or $15 more for a similar trip, and we are NW of LGA to Pier 88, MCT ...)   

https://www.carmellimo.com/campaigns/dlsend2019/index.html

Here's a typical car service - 4 door sedan (Toyota Camry) - just coming off the parkway (GCP) heading into LGA's - the new Terminal B's connected multi-story parking in the background ... waiting at the traffic light (and, construction - ongoing behind fenced area) 

IMG_20191003_112915946.jpg

Edited by mking8288

So, the car collected us at 5:45am and we had no issues with city traffic, no queues at LGA departure area drop off and we were in the terminal by 6:15am. And I'm using the free wifi. 

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. 

Although it was dark the building work is very evident and we could see where the issues would be at peak time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2019 at 4:41 PM, George C said:

Anyone have any idea what decade it will be before this mess s fixed😂😂

I'm optimistic that this coming decade should be it. I'm flying into LGA twice in the next few months. The first one will be JetBlue and I will get a Hertz rental, so that will be trivial. The second one is Delta at the end of March and am optimistic that things will be better than. Also getting a Hertz car then, so I guess I will see if the airport shuttle is still required. Either way, it can't be worse than flying into JFK or EWR, having to take the Airtrain to Hertz and then driving further to get home.

I am flying out of different airports both times (HPN and JFK) so no LGA traffic issues for them, although I am sure getting to JFK will be bad (but I had no choice since its an international flight).

Edited by MisterBill99
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you are talking about a Manhattan hotel, I do not think you will find any with a shuttle. Uber is probably your best bet.

The hotel is in Long Island, near the Roosevelt Bridge - La Qunita.

I originally booked Holiday Inn Express but they consider my 13 year old an adult and I also havea 16 year old, so prices were higher and I didn't want to lie in case when I show up they make me pay for the difference.

10 hours ago, xcell said:

The hotel is in Long Island, near the Roosevelt Bridge - La Qunita.

I originally booked Holiday Inn Express but they consider my 13 year old an adult and I also havea 16 year old, so prices were higher and I didn't want to lie in case when I show up they make me pay for the difference.

I can’t imagine any hotel having a shuttle.

Edited by mjkacmom