Balcony dining during bad weather

TitanSMES

We will be taking a Panama Canal cruise this December. Having lived in Panama, we know it rains every day, except during the dry season when it rains every other day! We are planning on trying the Balcony Breakfast for the first time. In the event of inclement weather, where do they set up the meal in the event that it is raining, sleeting, hailing, snowing, etc (U.S. Postal Service type of weather events)? Do they set up a table in the cabin or do you reschedule or what?

We will be taking a Panama Canal cruise this December. Having lived in Panama, we know it rains every day, except during the dry season when it rains every other day! We are planning on trying the Balcony Breakfast for the first time. In the event of inclement weather, where do they set up the meal in the event that it is raining, sleeting, hailing, snowing, etc (U.S. Postal Service type of weather events)? Do they set up a table in the cabin or do you reschedule or what?

Same place as you would set up if an interior or ocean view cabin - inside the cabin! Personally, the only thing I enjoy on the balcony is a good martini!

Darcy

Thanks to all. I'll just bring along my Gorton's Fish Stick fisherman's rain outfit and down a few 007 Martini's from the Crooners bar and I won't care if it rains or shines!

Crossing the Continental Divide on a Canal cruise in an Aloha deck completely covered balcony it still got wet during strong thunderstorms.

The Ultimate Balcony Breakfast stacks plates of food inside your cabin so you could eat it inside. It's been years since my UBB but I don't recall them setting up a table like for the UBD although back then the round balcony table was large enough to actually use for dining. ;)

Inclement weather when sailing from Santorini during an early December sailaway moved us inside our cabin for an UBD which was still great.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Keith, You should know that covered balconies will only keep out rain if it is coming straight down. If the wind is blowing toward your balcony while it is raining you will probably get wet!

Exactly! When it's raining or when seagulls are around, you'll need to eat inside. :D

Edited by OCruisers

Keith, You should know that covered balconies will only keep out rain if it is coming straight down. If the wind is blowing toward your balcony while it is raining you will probably get wet!

Which is why you need to rig up a tarp. :p:D (Jk. Do not rig up a tarp.)

Obviously in the room.

Thanks to all. I'll just bring along my Gorton's Fish Stick fisherman's rain outfit and down a few 007 Martini's from the Crooners bar and I won't care if it rains or shines!

Sounds like a plan:cool::p

If it sleets or snows in Panama, I'd be real worried, that aside, I imaging they would do it in your cabin.

You will have to verify what colors are authorized for a rain suit on the Balcony. Wear the wrong color and the Fashion Police will be all over you. :D

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Crossing the Continental Divide on a Canal cruise in an Aloha deck completely covered balcony it still got wet during strong thunderstorms.

The Ultimate Balcony Breakfast stacks plates of food inside your cabin so you could eat it inside. It's been years since my UBB but I don't recall them setting up a table like for the UBD although back then the round balcony table was large enough to actually use for dining. ;)

Inclement weather when sailing from Santorini during an early December sailaway moved us inside our cabin for an UBD which was still great.

We did this on our first Princess cruise and the amount of food we received could have fed most of our neighbors, too! You'll want to clear some space before they arrive to put all the dishes.

Thanks for all the advise from everyone! We are down to 98 days to go on our cruise and at this point, I don't care where they feed us for the balcony breakfast. I'm just ready to go. It will be twenty years since we left Panama and it will be interesting to see the changes that were made since the US returned the canal back to Panama.