Hump Cabin or No Hump Cabin?

bekbek4248

Hi all,

I need the help of CC once again.. you all are amazing! I could spend every waking minute on here and still need to learn more! Thank you in advance again for all your help!

My husband and I are planning on going on the Solstice next September cruising to Hawaii. Can't wait! We've been going back and forth on a couple different staterooms-- 6214 -- large balcony on the hump OR going with something a little higher like 8270 or 8297.

I've read some amazing reviews on the 6214 and some not so good particularly because of the lifesaving, but pesky :) lifeboats!

Whats the verdict? Should we go with the big balcony and handle the views of the lifeboats or just stick to a mid-ship regular balcony a little higher up?

Edited by bekbek4248

Hi all,

I need the help of CC once again.. you all are amazing! I could spend every waking minute on here and still need to learn more! Thank you in advance again for all your help!

My husband and I are planning on going on the Solstice next September cruising to Hawaii. Can't wait! We've been going back and forth on a couple different cabins-- 6214 -- large balcony on the hump OR going with something a little higher like 8270 or 8297.

I've read some amazing reviews on the 6214 and some not so good particularly because of the lifesaving, but pesky :) lifeboats!

Whats the verdict? Should we go with the big balcony and handle the views of the lifeboats or just stick to a mid-ship regular balcony a little higher up?

We have stayed on the angle of the hump on deck 8 & 9, in a flat on 11, and back to the angle on 7 next cruise. We pick strictly on which is the better cost.

I think a big factor is how much time you anticipate spending on the balcony. We enjoy having our morning coffee, midday break (or nap), adult beverage prior to dressing for dinner, and a nightcap before bed on the balcony. For us if the price is right, we pick an angled balcony.

Do you feel the hump angle balcony has less privacy?

We feel like we have more privacy because the veranda is much deeper. If you stand out by the railing you may be more visible to those who are in normal size verandas but not enough to bother us. If we can get a cabin on the hump, we always do.

I think a big factor is how much time you anticipate spending on the balcony. We enjoy having our morning coffee, midday break (or nap), adult beverage prior to dressing for dinner, and a nightcap before bed on the balcony. For us if the price is right, we pick an angled balcony.

We feel like we have more privacy because the veranda is much deeper. If you stand out by the railing you may be more visible to those who are in normal size verandas but not enough to bother us. If we can get a cabin on the hump, we always do.

Hey you two!

2014 Equinox Reunion cruise Nov 6, 2017! We have 1o-12so far.

Ew

Thank you for all your responses! Looks like you all have similar thoughts as us- still can't decide! If there were some angled balconies higher up we would choose that, but 6214 is the last one on the hump available.

I'll keep thinking about it! :) Thank you!!

We originally booked 6214 on the Reflection (same layout I believe) for our cruise starting on September 9. (So exciting!)

I was concerned about the view/noise from below so I kept checking in from time to time to see what other cabins might have opened up. A few weeks later 9211 became available (also a hump cabin) so I asked to be changed over which was readily accommodated. A week later even more hump cabins on higher floors opened up. We were happy with 9211 so stayed with it.

My point is, go ahead and book 6214 and keep an eye on available cabins. It's very easy to change within the same room category. Cabins open up due to cancellations, upgrades etc so it might just be a matter of biding your time and being ready to pounce!

We sailed this summer on the Silhouette in 6210 angled hump cabin. The location on the ship is really perfect. Very convenient. This cabin is priced as a 2 D obstructed view, but I have to say it was really minor. We liked the cabin so much that we booked it again for our cruise in January. The balcony is huge. If you end up in 6014, I don't think you will be disappointed. There were no noise issues in our cabin.