What is the primary problem with Curtis Stone in the MDR

Loreni

Everyone's taste is different but that lobster looks disgusting to me... like a giant spit on it.

See Post #3 this thread

The meals all look the same, unappetizing to the point of revulsion. So presentation would be number one in my opinion.

Thanks for agreeing Pam :-)

Edited by wishfulone

Just came off the Emerald Princess. On 5 nights there was a SHARE dish on the main dining room menu. On 3 nights it was pork belly. Did not look one bit appetizing! Why would you then try Stone restaurant?

So you can throw a dummy spit in the restaurant because it's so bad? :p ;) :D

It is difficult to fathom how anyone who has pursed the culinary arts as a profession and achieved any level of acclaim could look at that lobster dish in the test kitchen and say: "Perfect! That is exactly what we were aiming for!" The resemblance to some sort of mammalian expectorant is unmistakable. And who could want that on their plate? Not to mention the fact that endive, in and of itself is rather...shall we say "subtle" in flavor, such that converting it to a liquified state and then aerating it would result in a watery goo that in no way could enhance a dish. That is a classic example of a chef doing something just to prove he can, rather than doing something because he should.

Edited by JimmyVWine

It is difficult to fathom how anyone who has pursed the culinary arts as a profession and achieved any level of acclaim could look at that lobster dish in the test kitchen and say: "Perfect! That is exactly what we were aiming for!" The resemblance to some sort of mammalian expectorant is unmistakable. And who could want that on their plate? Not to mention the fact that endive, in and of itself is rather...shall we say "subtle" in flavor, such that converting it to a liquified state and then aerating it would result in a watery goo that in no way could enhance a dish. That is a classic example of a chef doing something just to prove he can, rather than doing something because he should.

Well just wait until we unleash Heston Blumenthal onto you lot with his molecular gastronomy.

Ya think C.S is bad with the froth, wait till ya all see what this dude does.:):)

Well just wait until we unleash Heston Blumenthal onto you lot with his molecular gastronomy.

Ya think C.S is bad with the froth, wait till ya all see what this dude does.:):)

The problem with a lot of Heston's dishes are that they are designed to fool the senses. You see something that looks like a boiled egg, except it's actually a dessert. Or something that looks like a piece of fruit that is actually savoury. Not sure that would work in a cruise ship. :eek: :D

Oh, I've enjoyed (and been subjected to) all sorts of molecular gastronomy that involved blindfolds, lasers, protective eyeware, laundry irons and edible balloons. And I think I have developed a decent sense of separating out what can be done to prove technical ability from what should be done to prove culinary understanding. Endive foam is the former.

I do believe he was one of the first frothers though.

Possibly, although I think there is some guy in France that pioneered molecular gastronomy.

Still, some of the stuff Heston does is pretty cool.

Best foam I ever had a was coconut cream foam served on fresh mango slices. So easy (if you have a cream gun) yet so delicious.

Oh, I've enjoyed (and been subjected to) all sorts of molecular gastronomy that involved blindfolds, lasers, protective eyeware, laundry irons and edible balloons. And I think I have developed a decent sense of separating out what can be done to prove technical ability from what should be done to prove culinary understanding. Endive foam is the former.

Laundry irons? :eek:

Possibly, although I think there is some guy in France that pioneered molecular gastronomy.

The true pioneer was Ferran Adria of El Bulli in Spain. Much of what we have come to know of molecular gastronomy originated in his laboratory/kitchen. But HB is right there too.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The true pioneer was Ferran Adria of El Bulli in Spain. Much of what we have come to know of molecular gastronomy originated in his laboratory/kitchen. But HB is right there too.

I know HB is right there, he features on Australian MasterChef every year. The last two seasons he's created a diabolical dessert that the two finalists have to recreate. This was this year's creation http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/verjus-in-egg

But I'm sure there was some guy in France as well. I saw an episode of the UK MasterChef (I think) a few years ago where the contestants went to France to learn from him.

But I'm sure there was some guy in France as well. I saw an episode of the UK MasterChef (I think) a few years ago where the contestants went to France to learn from him.

You are probably thinking of Herve This. He is a teacher, but never a chef. As a result, few people have actually had an opportunity to eat his creations. But many chefs have studied with him.

Edited by JimmyVWine

You are probably thinking of Herve This. He is a teacher, but never a chef. As a result, few people have actually had an opportunity to eat his creations. But many chefs have studied with him.

It might have been, it was some years ago and I don't remember his name. They learnt some fun stuff though. I do remember that. :D

Tony, Your Pork Bellies is funny as I hate Bacon. My take is "It's like a really lousy movie. The worse they are, the more they advertise it to get people to go see it." Going on Crown and they won't have CS until after April 2017 according to Princess. Mo betta fo us!

I found a cheap Dr. He said "Your xray showed a broken rib but we fixed it with Photoshop.

I know HB is right there, he features on Australian MasterChef every year. The last two seasons he's created a diabolical dessert that the two finalists have to recreate. This was this year's creation http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/masterchef/recipes/verjus-in-egg

I saw the last few minutes of that MasterChef show and wondered what the dish was and how it was made. Wow! I am exhausted just reading that recipe. I won't bother trying to make it. :)

Nah my favourite is,"oh I stuffed the dessert,ok lets call it de-constructed";)

That reminds me of a time when I was a teenager and Mum's pavlova didn't work. It came out as a very large flat meringue instead. So I turned it into a meringue layer cake for her. It still tasted good, just didn't have the marshmallowy bit.

Currently on the Regal--always available salmon, chicken, burger, Caesar salad, and shrimp cocktail are back. Sadly, no beef tenderloins. There is usually a CS item at the bottom of the right side of the menu. We're on day 6, and the CS seafood stew has already been repeated. DH said it was nothing special; he wouldn't order it again.