What is the primary problem with Curtis Stone in the MDR

Loreni

There's a couple of ways Princess can easily measure the success of Curtis Stone's menu items: # ordered and food gone to waste.

None of the Curtis Stone menu items appealed to me. Pork belly is not a menu item found in very many US restaurants. It's probably regional. I remember years ago while on a South American cruise on the Golden, a woman I was talking to was horrified at the "weird South American food" being served. When asked for specifics, she said, "You know, lamb."

ROTFLMAO! I love it, Pam. Lamb is weird? Don't tell any Aussie or Kiwi that. :eek: :D

I have a solution or solutions.

Don't like SHARE/Don't Go.

Don't like C.S menu items in the M.D.R/Don't order them.

Want Beef Medallions back/Complain to Princess Cruises.

Don't get satisfaction there/Jump on another ship.

Its really that simple.

That's exactly what I said on the survey this week- although they didn't ask specifically about Curtis Stone.

We were on the Island Princess in April and as an Aussie I am a fan of Curtis Stone. However the CS Mahi Mahi with cauliflower was the worst meal I have ever had in 26 cruises. I am not one who ever complains and have never before sent a meal back to the kitchen but I sent it back as it was totally inedible

There's a couple of ways Princess can easily measure the success of Curtis Stone's menu items: # ordered and food gone to waste.

The second is definitely an indicator. The first can lead to false positives. Most people who take cruises do so with less frequency than those who post here. To someone who takes a cruise once every four years, something can be "new" to them that has been out on the market for three-and-a-half years. As long as the CS dishes remain "new" to folks, they will be ordered in disproportionately high volume as people strive to try new things. But this ordering pattern should not be taken as a surrogate for success or satisfaction.

I have a solution or solutions.

Don't like SHARE/Don't Go.

Don't like C.S menu items in the M.D.R/Don't order them.

Want Beef Medallions back/Complain to Princess Cruises.

Don't get satisfaction there/Jump on another ship.

Its really that simple.

I would add to that list:

Preferred Sabatini's over SHARE/Complain to Princess and ask for its return.

Edited by JimmyVWine

The second is definitely an indicator. The first can lead to false positives. Most people who take cruises do so with less frequency than those who post here. To someone who takes a cruise once every four years, something can be "new" to them that has been out on the market for three-and-a-half years. As long as the CS dishes remain "new" to folks, they will be ordered in disproportionately high volume as people strive to try new things. But this ordering pattern should not be taken as a surrogate for success or satisfaction.

I would add to that list:

Preferred Sabatini's over SHARE/Complain to Princess and ask for its return.

Yes, for sure, I have done this, concerning Sabatini's. On the Emerald and on the Ruby, I complained in writing, concerning the unfortunate displacement of Sabatini's by Share.

It would be easy to just ignore Share, if it hadn't displaced Sabatini's, on these ships. But with Sabatini's being displaced, Share is there. No way around it.

Edited by Cruisin'Rabbit

However the CS Mahi Mahi with cauliflower was the worst meal I have ever had in 26 cruises. I am not one who ever complains and have never before sent a meal back to the kitchen but I sent it back as it was totally inedible

For me replacing salmon on the always available menu with Mahi Mahi was a potential improvement. However for many others including my wife it was a big disappointment. Based on so many negative reviews of Mahi Mahi then I didn't miss anything good when it wasn't available on the Crown & the salmon had returned.

I'm happy that Princess is adding more regional food options that are not created by Curtis Stone.

Edited by Astro Flyer

The survey I got was for a new Share menu. Almost all the items were "ugh" worthy or "blah" worthy...desserts sounded good. :rolleyes:

They didn't mention the SHARE restaurant in my survey although they did give the Crown menu & asked if you would be dining at any Specialty restaurant in the future. I was expecting to see SHARE questions but there was nothing.

I did comment that after tasting the Curtis Stone items in the main dining room I would never consider spending any amount of money for any of his dishes.

We were on the Island Princess in April and as an Aussie I am a fan of Curtis Stone. However the CS Mahi Mahi with cauliflower was the worst meal I have ever had in 26 cruises. I am not one who ever complains and have never before sent a meal back to the kitchen but I sent it back as it was totally inedible

Mahi Mahi with cauliflower :eek:. Maybe the fish could have been OK, but there would have been no visual appeal of that dish and I cannot imagine such a combination. I am NOT a chef, but when I was taught to cook, it was stressed that every dish has to please the eye before it pleases the palate.

The Curtis Stone dishes are really made for individual dining in a small restaurant and not for mass consumption. The dishes I had could have been good but I did not think the chefs on board can do what needs to be done for this to be accomplished

Lamb is regional (or at least it used to be) in the US. I grew up eating roast lamb medium rare and love a good chop or grilled, marinated, butterflied lamb. :)

I'd always wondered about that as I've also met US folk who regarded lamb as something unusual. Growing up in NZ it was always on the menu - lamb chops, roast lamb for Sunday family dinners, lamb stew, lamb and barley soup. These days it's become quite expensive so it's on our menus a bit less often.

Australia has quite nice lamb too.

You said just what I was thinking. The picture of the Lobster in the CG I wouldn't eat that on a bet. It may be good ? But it doesn't look good.

Tony

The lobster with the endive foam (top) is a promotional picture done by Princess to show what that dish looks like--it's from SHARE. The lobster cake (bottom) is picture taken by a diner in the Crown Grill. The tarragon foam is that little pile of white stuff next to the asparagus.

The lobster with the endive foam (top) is a promotional picture done by Princess to show what that dish looks like--it's from SHARE. The lobster cake (bottom) is picture taken by a diner in the Crown Grill. The tarragon foam is that little pile of white stuff next to the asparagus.

Thank you Shredie,

Did you ever have the lobster with the endive foam on top? It just doesn't look good to me. That a good way of explaining tarragon foam :) " Pile of white stuff" lol :D :D

Tony