Formal Night Hack

resistk

As an afterthought to the above, I might point out that I do actually enjoy wearing a variety of quite colourful bow ties on formal nights - some of the more sober ones with matching cumberbunds. Now wearing a cumberbund really does sort the men from the boys as far as formal attire is concerned!

So a subtle coloured tie is OK? Great. I might look at getting a nice bow tie though. Yes, his jacket and pants do look very much like a nice suit when on - he never normally needs a suit in daily life so we were hoping this would be OK. To be fair, when he's standing next to me all dressed up, he's going to look amazing anyway :) :D

As bananavan accurately pointed out you started a thread asking Cunard to restore the old Princess Grill menu. Maybe you're doing to the dress code what you say Cunard is doing to the menu? "Lighter" and "fewer choices" in your formal wear?

You cannot have it both ways. If passengers demand more casual dress then the services and menus will follow.

You clearly find dressing as requested a burden to be only grudgingly tolerated and as minimally as possible. So explore the possibilities of other lines rather than ruin Cunard for the rest of us.

I don't know what you are all about, he is adhering to the dress code!! It's a good thing you don't see me in the frocks I wear on formal nights that have come from jumble sales and charity shops. You would probably make me walk the plank.

Hey MG,

>bowtie (probably 2 or 3 bowties of different colors to match my gowns)

Unless he is a pet miniature poodle, he needs only 1 black bowtie.

>Hawaiian shirts (what he normally wears at home)

golf shorts

In January??????

Enjoy your cruise.

Ira

Edited by I_r_a
additional comment

I don't know what you are all about, he is adhering to the dress code!! It's a good thing you don't see me in the frocks I wear on formal nights that have come from jumble sales and charity shops. You would probably make me walk the plank.

The way I see it he's making a mockery of it - and decided to post it here to get maximum attention and response.

BTW, I had a neighbor who won Best Dressed Woman in the old Rittenhouse Square Easter Parade some years back. Dressed entirely in items purchased from thrift shops. (Good for you if you can put yourself together for tiny fraction of the price that some spend at high end stores.)

So a subtle coloured tie is OK? Great. I might look at getting a nice bow tie though. Yes, his jacket and pants do look very much like a nice suit when on - he never normally needs a suit in daily life so we were hoping this would be OK. To be fair, when he's standing next to me all dressed up, he's going to look amazing anyway :) :D

Bow tie! Bow tie! It will only add to his already amazing appearance.

Unless one just absolutely has to show the Establishment that one is an advocate for All Power to the People, why book on Cunard and then dress like a guttersnipe?

Ira

I don't think he's dressing like a guttersnipe. I think he is dressing as inexpensively as possible.

Calling attention to it is another matter. Not something to flaunt unless you are making some other point. Which I think is the case.

I also disagree that dress of any kind equates to "class." Behavior does; but not dress.

I don't think he's dressing like a guttersnipe. I think he is dressing as inexpensively as possible.

Calling attention to it is another matter. Not something to flaunt unless you are making some other point. Which I think is the case.

I also disagree that dress of any kind equates to "class." Behavior does; but not dress.

I'm a Diamond member and lost count of crossings on the QM2 at 2 dozen; I assure you I have never had any trouble since shedding the tux and fancy waistcoat several years ago for lighter attire at my wife's insistence so she has more room in the suitcases. I also didn't like getting mistook for a wine steward on several occasions due to said waistcoat and my misunderstanding that "black tie" meant to wear a funeral black tie as opposed to a black bow tie. Now I wear a nice red or pink tie and get on famously on formal nights. No one has ever said an unkind word to me nor sneered at my attire. What I don't like are those souls trying to get by with a "members only" or zipper jacket on casual nights.

partial quote

.... What I don't like are those souls trying to get by with a "members only" or zipper jacket on casual nights.

Ok, that's where it went off the rails. You wear a cheap polyester black sports jacket and drip dry golf pants on formal nights*, and apparently believe that to be acceptable, yet you are critical of those who you feel are "trying to get by with a "members only" or zipper jacket on casual nights". Egalitarianism clearly is not your objective; your mission is to promote your special wardrobe while dissing those who dress differently.

Can't have it both ways, my friend. If you want to dress differently, then in all fairness embrace those who also dress outside the dress code.

Another alternative would be to follow the dress code, as does the overwhelming majority of passengers.

Regards,

Salacia

*Since you book Grills accommodations, presumably your 'cheap' wardrobe is not the result of economic necessity?

Edited by Salacia

You are taking a January TA not a Caribbean cruise so the Hawaiian and camp shirts are not what one might see on such a voyage. He will certainly stand out. The same for shorts outside of the gym as the Atlantic is COLD as will be the outside decks.

I recommend a couple of cotton sweaters to wear over a nice long sleeved sports shirt with collar for day time and long trousers (chinos are not my thing) a tie and blazer for informal evenings.

The Ship can get quite warm and even in January you will see many passengers wearing smart cargo/shorts during the day,

Ok, that's where it went off the rails. You wear a cheap polyester black sports jacket and drip dry golf pants on formal nights*, and apparently believe that to be acceptable, yet you are critical of those who you feel are "trying to get by with a "members only" or zipper jacket on casual nights". Egalitarianism clearly is not your objective; your mission is to promote your special wardrobe while dissing those who dress differently. Can't have it both ways, my friend. If you want to dress differently, then in all fairness embrace those who also dress outside the dress code. Another alternative would be to follow the dress code, as does the overwhelming majority of passengers. Regards, Salacia *Since you book Grills accommodations, presumably your 'cheap' wardrobe is not the result of economic necessity?
Excellent points Salacia, very well made :) .

partial quote

Ok, that's where it went off the rails. You wear a cheap polyester black sports jacket and drip dry golf pants on formal nights*, and apparently believe that to be acceptable

The outfit looks exactly like a well fitting dark suit (on me at least) or a tux and therefore meets the dress code requirements 100%. No one is going to examine the tags or material and if they did so what? That is why it is a "hack." If you saw me, you wouldn't give me a second glance.

Here are the basic coordinates I use:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/318jGGFuqRL._SY445_.jpg

I buy the suit and toss the pants as the golf pants are better and match:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/salvatore-exte-men-s-2-button-modern-fit-suit-black/275265117.html?listingId=375443792&sclid=pla_google_MensSuitHabit&adid=29963&gclid=CJXim4LV7s4CFYo8gQodWVcCLw

Light weight, comfortable, washable and disposable.

This is interesting. Does one not need a tuxedo for formal nights? I know basically nothing about the different types of men's formal attire. It would be nice to just bring a black suit that can be worn with a bow tie (and vest?) on formal nights and with or without a tie on informal nights.

Technically one does not need a tuxedo a dark suit would do. A black suit could be a bit tricky with a black tie as it is what many undertakers wear. A look which I believe should be avoided by choosing a dark, navy blue or jacket and trousers which are fairly similar plus a tie which is not actually black and the bow tie variant is better than a business style necktie.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

The outfit looks exactly like a well fitting dark suit (on me at least) or a tux and therefore meets the dress code requirements 100%. No one is going to examine the tags or material and if they did so what? That is why it is a "hack." If you saw me, you wouldn't give me a second glance.

Light weight, comfortable, washable and disposable.

Your point about traveling light is great; but you seemed equally pleased by how cheap your selections are. That is very likely to tick off people who take dressing up more seriously.

For us, a Cunard cruise means an extra suitcase, and an extra bit of hassle getting to and from the luggage dropoff/pickup and maybe a bag surcharge. We don't mind.

I was just on the Queen Victoria last week. For formal nights I had a three piece black suit (with vest) which I wore with a bow tie. It was a lightweight material that wasn't too warm for a summer Greek night. That seemed to fit in just fine. My estimate would be about one third of the men wore traditional tuxedos. There were others who wore dark suits and about one third wearing suits that were blue or grey, which to me was not up to the Cunard dress card but no seemed to care.

I had three business suits for the other "non-formal" nights which I wore sometimes with a tie and sometimes without. It actually seemed to be less to pack than other cruise lines where I tend to bring something different for each night in the dining room. I don't know why people object or feel it's too much to pack. As others have said, if the dress code is a concern there are plenty of other choices out there.

As an afterthought to the above, I might point out that I do actually enjoy wearing a variety of quite colourful bow ties on formal nights - some of the more sober ones with matching cumberbunds. Now wearing a cumberbund really does sort the men from the boys as far as formal attire is concerned!

I have noticed a distressing tendency lately for men to wear a variety of coloured bow ties with a tuxedo. Might I suggest that this is totally against any formal dress code you may encounter Cunard or not. The only thing to put round ones neck when wearing a dinner suit is a BLACK bow tie. As for the insistence on a long sleeved shirts, while I am in favour of this I ask in all serious how would anybody know unless you were crass enough to remove your jacket in public. If one purchases ones shirts from a reputable shirt maker no one could possibly tell whether it had sleeves or not. As for your cummerbunds - well if ever there was a piece of clothing singularly unsuited for the task I have yet to see it. They are invariably being hitched up or pulled down or twisted round particularly on the more traditionally built type of gentleman. Wear a waistcoat with your dinner suit and PLEASE ensure it is black and not one of those faux Beau Brummel garish monstrosities which look as though they have been manufactured from the sitting room curtains of a fifties household by somebody who hates men. BLACK AND WHITE GENTLEMEN, BLACK AND WHITE the epitome of formality. No exceptions.

MM

I hope this is another tongue in cheek post Merry Maid ?

Well yes and no Host Hattie. Once again we have posters bewailing the reduction of standards and advising the so called cheaters and rule benders to seek berths on the other lines without the pale. But these same

people have no problem with bending the rules of formality to suit theIr own particular idea of fashion sense. We've all seen them, immaculately attired in evening wear but with a Union Jack tie or black one side and white the other, ties with dice and other "witty" motifs. You name it and there will be someone willing to pair it with a tux. Apart from looking ludicrous it is just incorrect. It's like wearing a black shirt and white tie it's wrong. Poor things, if they haven't got a partner to put them on the right track surely they have a mirror. The same goes for waistcoats. I'm sorry guys formal is formal. Black and white. We have no right to insist on strict observance in others if we do not comply fully ourselves

Gentlemen wearing a dark lounge suit (within the code) have no restraints other than taste and common sense, regarding their neckwear.

MM

I agree, Merry Maid; black tie is exactly that-BLACK TIE. Although I would add that 1/4-1/2" of shirt cuff showing is correct.

I also wish all men would understand that nothing, absolutely NOTHING makes a gentleman look more handsome that a well tailored dinner suit/tuxedo......no matter his physique. All you have to do is look at the classic movies from the 30's and 40's to see that. All shapes and sizes look marvelous......from Cary Grant to Peter Lorre.

Perhaps if they realized this, we could put these dress code 'cheat' discussions to rest. And we ladies could reap the benefits.

But the dress code is NOT black tie! It is "A tuxedo, dinner jacket or dark suit with appropriate neck wear for men." Clearly the word "appropriate" lends itself to personal interpretation. I note no mention of waistcoats, even though some obviously think these should be worn - again simply their personal preference. My preference is for a cumberbund (which in my case is not "invariably being hitched up or pulled down or twisted round").

Indeed, black and white is the tradition that I accept. Unless I missed it, there has been no recent discussion about whether the black tie should be self-tied or pre-tied (a cheater, it was called at one time).

Back in 2009 or thereabouts there was much discussion on men's formal wear. Many people said that a self-tied bow tie was the only way so I overcame my tendency to be intimidated by same and purchased one. I was pleased that it was less difficult to tie than I had feared.

Several others said that the cummerbund was no longer in fashion and that a wing-collared shirt should never be worn with a dinner jacket, only with white tie and tails. I allowed myself a little rebellious behaviour and have ignored that advice. I wear a cummerbund and wing-collar at least once per voyage. I confess that I do bring a ready-tied bow tie as a back-up in case I have some difficulty with the self-tie one after my pre-dinner "restorative".

Sorry, I was not very clear. Here in the colonies, "Black Tie" means that appropriate dress for men is a tuxedo (or dinner suit)....as opposed to "White Tie" ie, a tail suit worn with a white tie and wing collar.

The name derives from the appropriate neckwear for a tuxedo which really should be of the same material as the facing of the lapels.

We tend to refer to formal events as "Black Tie".

That being said, we sail Cunard regularly so that my husband has the opportunity of wearing his tuxedo with a black tie on Formal Night.