(another) Alcohol policy question-

BoisDore

I know the policy states:

"All bottles of wine or champagne brought on board by passengers for consumption in any of the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges, are subject to a corkage fee.

Please be advised that passengers are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions."

My question is this: what about public consumption somewhere other than the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges?

What if we were to take bring a bottle to some deck chairs on the Promenade Deck, for example?

Swaggering around with the bottle in hand would probably not win you any fans, and I certainly wouldn't bring an ice bucket! However if you're discreet, as others have mentioned pouring your glass in the cabin, there should be no problem. (Perhaps with the bottle stashed away in a tote bag for unobtrusive refills)

I've never done it - but my experience, Cunard doesn't actively patrol for alcohol infringers, unlike most mainstream lines. With a bit of discretion, I'd not expect a problem with the stashed bottle, but I'd be prepared to apologize and return to the cabin should a crew member take issue.

...and I have to believe that they'd be sympathetic for your desire for something better than Pol Acker!

Edited by MarkBearSF

I know the policy states: "All bottles of wine or champagne brought on board by passengers for consumption in any of the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges, are subject to a corkage fee. Please be advised that passengers are allowed to bring on board one bottle per person for special occasions." My question is this: what about public consumption somewhere other than the ship's restaurants, bars or lounges? What if we were to take bring a bottle to some deck chairs on the Promenade Deck, for example?
Hi BoisDore,

I've several times taken bottles of champagne on board QM2. Sometimes, with family/friends we've opened this in the cabin or on the balcony.

Other times a bottle has been opened on either Deck 8 or 13 for sailaway parties.

Once, six of us had a get-together after lunch, at one of the tables under the awning on Deck 8, on the last sea day before arriving in New York (we had two unopened bottles for that little party ;) ). It was a dull, grey, wet Atlantic day and there was almost no-one else about. The stewards turned a "blind eye" our bottles (although I'm sure they had seen them)

When on deck, each time we were very discrete with the bottle, had brought lightweight plastic "glasses" from home (no glass near the pool).

And when near the Terrace Bar on Deck 8 we made certain we ordered drinks from the bar before opening our own bottles (discretely), and one or two of us ordered further drinks afterwards.

As MarkBearSF says, discrete is the answer.

And if challenged by someone enforcing the rules, an apology, putting the bottle away, and a drinks order (where possible) is what I would do.

I am planning to take a bottle of champagne with me on board QM2 in November, for drinking in the cabin (I'll take a proper stopper as well).

For sailaway parties I will purchase some from the Terrace Bar, or one of the "pop up" bars.

Hope this helps.

Edited by pepperrn

So, the policy clearly states one bottle per person may be brought on. I feel as if I've seen posts from others indicating they've brought on more than one bottle. Question: does any one know whether Cunard systematically collect bottles in excess of the one or whether this is policed in any way, shape or form. I know how it works on Princess. I also know that it varies by port (strenuous enforcement in US/Western ports, no enforcement in Europe). I will be boarding in Southampton.

According to the Cunard website there is no stated amount you can bring on. It says it could confiscate alcohol if a danger to people etc. I have never read a "one bottle" rule. We will certainly take more than one bottle on board :)

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/alcohol

Although I never bother to bring on more than one bottle of Champagne, I'm pleased to see that Cunard still makes this civilised statement in the above link: "It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised."

According to the Cunard website there is no stated amount you can bring on. It says it could confiscate alcohol if a danger to people etc. I have never read a "one bottle" rule. We will certainly take more than one bottle on board :)

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/before-you-sail/alcohol

The US Passage Contract has this clause:

Guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage. A corkage fee of $20.00 U.S.D. per bottle (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to wine and champagne brought aboard by brought aboard by You and consumed in the ship’s restaurants. Any wine(s) or champagne(s) supplied by the Carrier to You as a gift are not subject to a corkage fee. You agree to surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship’s gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last night of the voyage. Carrier reserves the right to remove alcohol at the gangway should it determine that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of Guests may otherwise be compromised.
http://www.cunard.com/legal-information/

But I've always brought on as much as I've wanted.

Edited by Underwatr

Interesting. Thanks Underwatr. I thought I had read that folks are able to bring more than one without running into trouble. Not thinking of bringing anything excessive - perhaps just bubbles for sailaway and an extra.

In practice, you are able to bring on wine, champagne and liquor in excess of what that policy says.

I can tell you that the British booking terms don't have any such limitation (at least not at the Cunard.co.UK equivalent of the web page I linked to).

I think the US terms were an overzealous copy from another Carnival line but I've never seen it enforced to the extent.

• 3 weeks later...
As a first time cruiser, please can you tell me how you would carry wine on board? Is A box of wine in the suitcase ok? I gave been told that cases are scanned and alcohol confiscated on other lines?

Is champagne ok in hand luggage?

Thanks

Carrying it in luggage or in a tote bag should be fine as long as it looks like a reasonable amount for the length of your voyage. According to ask.cunard.com: "...We reserve the right to remove alcohol at the gangway if brought on board, either at embarkation or when in a port of call and will be returned to you at the end of your voyage. It is not our intention to invoke this policy as a matter of course and we will only implement on occasions where we consider it likely that the health, comfort, safety and enjoyment of passengers may otherwise be compromised..."

When I log on to the voyage personaliser, I have to "agree" to the terms before I continue. I assume the terms are the same for everyone? It clearly states:

"On the day of embarkation, guests over the above minimum ages may bring on board one bottle of wine or champagne per person to celebrate. If consumed in the dining rooms or alternative restaurants, each bottle will be subject to a USD15 corkage fee. Any other alcohol purchased ashore will be collected at the gangway for safe keeping and will be returned to you on the last day of your voyage."

Are you all sure we'll be OK packing a bottle or two in our luggage plus have one in our carry on?

Pack them both. The worst that can happen is that they take it and return it the night before disembarkation. Which is something that they really don't want to do as it's a hassle for them.

I will certainly try :) Ignorance is bliss...

I remember on a Celebrity Cruise on the Med they were very strict and when we came back from a tour in Tuscany we managed to pass off some wine as olive oil! Oceania was great to cruise on though as they had no restrictions at all and you could easily sample local wines back on board without having to hide it. I'm hoping Cunard will be the same as I'd like to continue to sail on Cunard after our short cruise coming up.

And the corkage has gone up to $20. But you won't find any reports of excess alcohol being denied entry.

Thanks - we won't be taking our in-cabin wine to any restaurant... we'll buy a glass or two there. Our wine is for holiday quaffing... relaxing on the deck. We have fabulous memories from our last two cruises of relaxing on the deck with a wine or two watching sunsets or just the world go by.

We always take at least 6 bottles of Veuve on board, and have been doing that for the last 16 trips without any problems.

On one occasion we brought a bottle to an outside bar on a certain ship, and asked the bar manager if they would notice if we opened our own bottle.

The manager said of course they wouldn't notice and provided 2 glasses and an ice bucket.

In 4 weeks time, we'll be doing it again.

Stewart

Dare I say it?...I believe Carnival Corporation is making an attempt to enforce the 1 bottle BYO rule amongst all its cruise brands, P&O UK and P&O Australia, Cunard, Princess, HAL, Costa, etc etc. Time will tell.

Of course they want you to buy their overpriced vino on board, not permit you onboard with too much of Aldi, Lidl or Sainsbury's booze. All about achieving their alcohol sales targets on board.

I wonder if they will let me on QM2 in Sydney for the Syd-HK Sector with my 4 litre wine cask (wine box to you) of cheap and nasty Chardonnay? LOL. The Food & Beverage Manager will have his eagle eyes on the 500 or so Aussies boarding QM2 in Sydney, come March 2.

Edited by NSWP