Tropical storm in flordia

cabinfever60

Just wondering if this storm is the first of many to come in the next few weeks I have a cruise Oct 9th for 10days to Panama Canal I'm hoping things will settle down by then, even if we can't make some of the ports just being on the ship works for me, as long as the weather is not too bad. If there is anyone that has been on this cruise and ran into bad weather can you way-in with some in-put as to how Princess handle it.:o

A month in advance is too early to predict a storm. This was the first hurricane to hit Florida in 11 years.

If there is a storm, princess will try to avoid it. That may mean changing the itinerary. They could add ports or sea days for those dropped.

I can tell you Princess handled it in October 1998: 10 day partial Panama Canal transit on the old Regal, ran right into Hurricane Mitch. When it became very obvious that it would be impossible to tender at Grand Cayman the next day, the ship changed course and substituted Princess Cays and Nassau for Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Was definitely the right decision as we would have run into even rougher seas if just skipping Grand Cayman and headed towards Mexico a day ahead of schedule.

Would the same happen under similar circumstances in the present? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the weather which as already stated is impossible to guess at a month in advance. One could cite historical examples of a chain of hurricanes taking similar paths the same season (Katrina/Rita/Wilma in 2005 springs to mind) or just as many examples of a perfectly quiet season after a single hurricane strength storm. Your guess or mine will be just as good as the silicone ladies on the TV news can come up with.

Edited by fishywood

Just wondering if this storm is the first of many to come in the next few weeks I have a cruise Oct 9th for 10days to Panama Canal I'm hoping things will settle down by then, even if we can't make some of the ports just being on the ship works for me, as long as the weather is not too bad. If there is anyone that has been on this cruise and ran into bad weather can you way-in with some in-put as to how Princess handle it.:o

It's that time of the year.

Oct 9 is too soon to predict. We can only hope for the best while Princess will do its best if it does happen.

Oct 9 is too soon to predict. We can only hope for the best while Princess will do its best if it does happen.

Heck, SEPTEMBER 9 is too soon to predict. :)

I understand the urge to ask these questions but ...

"Climate is what you expect, weather is what you get."

And even that first part isn't true any more.

This was the first hurricane to hit Florida in 11 years.

what? they get hurricanes every year. florida is a large state though, i had my mother calling to check on me once for a hurricane down in miami, but in orlando it was a perfectly lovely day. so not all hurricanes will affect all cruises.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Florida_hurricanes_(2000%E2%80%93present)

*sigh* ok hurricanes affect florida every year. they are not seeming to count the keys as florida, which is silly. also they don't seem to count if te eye doesn't touch land, which is odd. so i guess technically it has been a while, but misleading at best.

Edited by vampiress

what? they get hurricanes every year. florida is a large state though, i had my mother calling to check on me once for a hurricane down in miami, but in orlando it was a perfectly lovely day. so not all hurricanes will affect all cruises.

*sigh* ok hurricanes affect florida every year. they are not seeming to count the keys as florida, which is silly. also they don't seem to count if te eye doesn't touch land, which is odd. so i guess technically it has been a while, but misleading at best.

25 year former Florida resident and my parents lived in the Keys during 2005, so there's that. But the OP was technically correct that hurricane force storms rarely manage to make landfall in Florida, and yes, that's an important distinction.

In fact, they often don't make landfall at all.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/major-hurricane-us-landfall-drought-study

(Typing this as Hermine is bringing us some rain and light wind.)

We "skirted" a tropical storm last year on our 17 day full transit. The captain said we could either miss the next port completely or go around the edge of the storm. They closed off all access to the outer decks due to high winds and the motion of the ship. Quite a few of the "I never get seasick" folks ended up taking to their cabins with queasy stomachs. It was an interesting evening and night. :D

If there is anyone that has been on this cruise and ran into bad weather can you way-in with some in-put as to how Princess handle it.:o

My father was on a cruise out of FLL a few years ago when a hurricane was in the Caribbean.

They altered the order of ports to avoid the storm.

But, then the storm headed top south Florida when the ship was supposed to return to FLL.

So the ship extended the cruise by two days by going to Cozumel and then back to FLL.

Of course new cruisers lost two days of their cruise once the ship made it back to FLL.

Hurricane Hermine was the first Hurricane to make LANDFALL in Florida in 11 years...yes, we've been "affected" by them in passing...but they have not hit the state since 2005...and we're not complaining one bit...we had 4 hit the state in 2004 happy to have a bit of a break!:)