I don't know which line to choose!

ldlewis45

I'm looking at Alaska cruises in August/September of next year, RT from Seattle, and there are just too many choices. I've got holds on Carnival, Holland America, and Princess, but I just can't make up my mind. It would be for me and my elderlyish (early 70s) parents, so I'm looking at sharing a suite. Holland America is running $1300-1500 cheaper than the other two lines, so I'm really tempted to do that one. My only hesitation is that Holland America has a reputation of being "old and stuffy" and more formal, and while my parents are technically elderly, I'm not sure they would be completely comfortable with that (and I'm in my early 30s, so I know I wouldn't be, either).

So, suite on Carnival, suite on Holland America, or suite on Princess? The ports are basically the same, other than HA going to Sitka, and they are all RT from Seattle. I personally would prefer a Vancouver to Seward or Whittier cruise on Princess if I were going by myself, but Seattle is an easier and less expensive commute for my parents.

Edited by ldlewis45

I would look into an itinerary that has Glacier Bay.

Tracy Arm was not accessibly for probably 80-90% of this year's season. If this is your parents first time and only time to Alaska, you want to make sure you see a glacier!

Many ships did go to Endicott Arm instead. Glacier Bay is better IMO :)

Since I am in my 60's, I am thinking like their age group! If HA is out and I understand your feelings on that, then I definitely would go with Princess over Carnival. I believe Princess would be the best blend for you and your parents. In fact we leave september 11th for an alaska cruise on the Ruby. Princess is also known for doing Alaska well.

Pooh

For that price difference I would choose HAL for sure. The age demographic changes dramatically in Alaska.

You will find families, young couples, etc nicely mixed during the summer on HAL sailings.

Second choice is Princess.

Personally I think that HAL has the best menus and food of any that you listed.

Warning: Your parents may enjoy themselves so much that they will want to go again! :D

Final hint: Go in August. Daylight grows shorter and shorter as September approaches. And September can be more rainy and foggy than the summer months.

Edited by thinfool

For that price difference I would choose HAL for sure. The age demographic changes dramatically in Alaska.

You will find families, young couples, etc nicely mixed during the summer on HAL sailings.

Second choice is Princess.

Personally I think that HAL has the best menus and food of any that you listed.

Warning: Your parents may enjoy themselves so much that they will want to go again! :D

Final hint: Go in August. Daylight grows shorter and shorter as September approaches. And September can be more rainy and foggy than the summer months.

Right now, I'm definitely leaning towards HAL, especially because of the price difference and because they only require a $375 deposit (the others all require at least $1200 deposit). The one I have on hold is for August 26 through Sept 2.

Right now, I'm definitely leaning towards HAL, especially because of the price difference and because they only require a $375 deposit (the others all require at least $1200 deposit). The one I have on hold is for August 26 through Sept 2.

Great!!!! Just don't stick your parents on Carnival. :)

Great!!!! Just don't stick your parents on Carnival. :)
I've taken several Carnival cruises, and I've been very happy with them. My mom has gone on one of them with me, too. The key with Carnival is not to expect more than what you're paying for, lol.

You were [probably posting as I was, so I'll repeat -- the HAL suite experience is very nice.

Additional info missing from my other post. Sitka is a lovely port!

I'm not sure which suite to get. I've got holds for both a Signature Suite and a Neptune Suite. I'm just not sure that we'd make enough use of the extra perks of the Neptune suite to justify the extra cost.

Signature suite is your best bet...no point in paying for Nepfune perks when all you want is a lovely size cabin...large bathroom with two sinks, shower and tub...nice Windows, large balcony, etc...our favorite cabins. You and your parents will do fine on HAL...just took our kids and grandkids to AK and they ALL loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Signature suite is your best bet...no point in paying for Nepfune perks when all you want is a lovely size cabin...large bathroom with two sinks, shower and tub...nice Windows, large balcony, etc...our favorite cabins. You and your parents will do fine on HAL...just took our kids and grandkids to AK and they ALL loved it.

That's what I'm leaning towards, but the mimosas, breakfast service, and high tea service that come with the Neptune Suites are calling my name, though!

I've taken several Carnival cruises, and I've been very happy with them. My mom has gone on one of them with me, too. The key with Carnival is not to expect more than what you're paying for, lol.

Exactly....and you just justified my response. If you try something other than the low budget cruise lines, you will see a big difference....and if it is (most likely) the posters parents last cruise (bucket list cruise), I would choose HAL, Celebrity or Princess, especially for their age group.

Edited by champagne123
dddddfffff

Exactly....and you just justified my response. If you try something other than the low budget cruise lines, you will see a big difference....and if it is (most likely) the posters parents last cruise (bucket list cruise), I would choose HAL, Celebrity or Princess, especially for their age group.

I am the poster, lol. To be honest, we aren't high-maintenance people and we don't need a lot of fuss and fawning. My parents are of an age and demographic where they're used to doing for themselves and they don't like people "fussing" over them, and they view a lot of higher-end amenities and so-called perks as unnecessary and wasteful. They don't do cocktail parties, they don't dress to the nines, wouldn't use a concierge, etc.

My dad wants to see Alaska, he doesn't care how he gets there or whether or not the amenities are high-end. What we're looking for is a relaxing cruise with some nice scenery and somewhere to park my mom (she doesn't even really want to go on the cruise in the first place, since she doesn't like cold/cool weather, so she's probably going to stay on the ship if she comes).

I am the poster, lol. To be honest, we aren't high-maintenance people and we don't need a lot of fuss and fawning. My parents are of an age and demographic where they're used to doing for themselves and they don't like people "fussing" over them, and they view a lot of higher-end amenities and so-called perks as unnecessary and wasteful. They don't do cocktail parties, they don't dress to the nines, wouldn't use a concierge, etc.

My dad wants to see Alaska, he doesn't care how he gets there or whether or not the amenities are high-end. What we're looking for is a relaxing cruise with some nice scenery and somewhere to park my mom (she doesn't even really want to go on the cruise in the first place, since she doesn't like cold/cool weather, so she's probably going to stay on the ship if she comes).

You really just contradicted yourself. This is what you stated in your previous post:

That's what I'm leaning towards, but the mimosas, breakfast service, and high tea service that come with the Neptune Suites are calling my name, though!

It is your decision as to what is good for your parents...you are the one that knows them, not us. I am just giving my opinion. I have been on 3 Carnival cruises and know that they are the bottom of our list for preference. They are good if we are looking for a cheap getaway.

I am still curious on the itinerary. You want the best itinerary - don't you. Can you say what ships you are looking at so we can look at the itinerary. If your Dad wants to see Alaska - let's get him on a good itinerary.

Alaska doesn't have to be cold. I have received several sun burns in Alaska and worn shorts and swimming suits there. Weather can be unpredictable but it can easily be in the 70's - is that cold to you? I have even been there when it is 90.

I think you need to research Alaska more before picking a ship/itinerary.

You really just contradicted yourself. This is what you stated in your previous post:

It is your decision as to what is good for your parents...you are the one that knows them, not us. I am just giving my opinion. I have been on 3 Carnival cruises and know that they are the bottom of our list for preference. They are good if we are looking for a cheap getaway.

No, I really didn't, lol. I like mimosas and I would rather have breakfast in my room than deal with a buffet or restaurant. That doesn't mean that I want a butler, or concierge, or hors d'oeuvres on demand, or corsages. All that $#$# makes me uncomfortable. I don't want someone fawning over me and serving me, I just want the food, tea, and drink. For all I care, they could just drop it off outside the room, lol. :D Give me a spa with heated tile loungers, a chair on a balcony (or a nice spot in a sun-and-wind-protected area on deck), and some decent Indian food, and I'm thrilled.

Bottom line is that I'm not going to automatically discount a cruise on a "budget" line just because of which line it is. I'm going to look at the best value and the location of the ports. If another line is the best value for what I'm wanting to do, I'll go with it, but if Carnival or another "budget" line has the better value, I'll go with them. Besides, we're just debating different levels of "budget," lol. They're mass-market cruise lines, not Crystal or Seabourn. ;)

My mom loved Carnival, and if Carnival had a Glacier Bay cruise out of Seattle in late August 2017, that's what I'd pick. But they don't (the latest is mid-August, and I can't do those dates), so that means I have to look elsewhere.

Alaska doesn't have to be cold. I have received several sun burns in Alaska and worn shorts and swimming suits there. Weather can be unpredictable but it can easily be in the 70's - is that cold to you? I have even been there when it is 90.

I think you need to research Alaska more before picking a ship/itinerary.

It is for my mom, especially if there's wind. She gets cold very easily. And to be honest, it would be to me at this point, too. I've spent the past few years in Miami and just moved to New Orleans. 70s is cold now, lol.

My mom has zero interest in Alaska, unfortunately. She's still trying to back out, so it's very possible that it will just be me and my dad for this one.

I would pick a ship or cruise line that has an onboard naturalist and has various local people embark at each port for lectures on local customs and maybe even perform local dances, etc. We had that on a HAL cruise maybe 10 years ago - probably other lines do similar things now as well. It was both enjoyable and educational.

Edited by Viv0828

I am still curious on the itinerary. You want the best itinerary - don't you. Can you say what ships you are looking at so we can look at the itinerary. If your Dad wants to see Alaska - let's get him on a good itinerary.
I've tried to get my dad to narrow down what he wants to see, all he says is "Alaska." He just wants to go. Personally, if I were going just for myself, I'd pick a Vancouver-Seward cruise that goes to College Fjord (I think Princess is the one that does them), but they want to limit it to Seattle-based cruises. So, basically, Tracey Arm, Sawyer Glacier, and Glacier Bay are my choices, and Glacier Bay seems to be the prevailing preference between the three on CC.

It is for my mom, especially if there's wind. She gets cold very easily. And to be honest, it would be to me at this point, too. I've spent the past few years in Miami and just moved to New Orleans. 70s is cold now, lol.

My mom has zero interest in Alaska, unfortunately. She's still trying to back out, so it's very possible that it will just be me and my dad for this one.

If it helps - I had zero interest in Alaska and only went because it was a free cruise and I wouldn't "pay to go to Alaska". Well - I paid probably 10x more to see Alaska. I loved it that much!

I've tried to get my dad to narrow down what he wants to see, all he says is "Alaska." He just wants to go. Personally, if I were going just for myself, I'd pick a Vancouver-Seward cruise that goes to College Fjord (I think Princess is the one that does them), but they want to limit it to Seattle-based cruises. So, basically, Tracey Arm, Sawyer Glacier, and Glacier Bay are my choices, and Glacier Bay seems to be the prevailing preference between the three on CC.

Good! I just wanted to make sure you were going to Glacier Bay. We missed our glacier on my first cruise and it was so disappointing! The record on going to Tracy Arm is not very good this year, hopefully better next year. Some of HAL's tours allow for a small boat trip to Tracy Arm (plus also going to Glaicer Bay). If they are doing this - definitely take the small boat trip also.

I think your Mom may be impressed with Alaska once she gets there!

Get your dad the book "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond - maybe by looking at the book, he can narrow it down to what he wants.

I also think a great naturalist can definitely enhance a cruise. Unfortunately - difficult to know who you will have a year out.

Good! I just wanted to make sure you were going to Glacier Bay. We missed our glacier on my first cruise and it was so disappointing! The record on going to Tracy Arm is not very good this year, hopefully better next year. Some of HAL's tours allow for a small boat trip to Tracy Arm (plus also going to Glaicer Bay). If they are doing this - definitely take the small boat trip also.

I think your Mom may be impressed with Alaska once she gets there!

Get your dad the book "Alaska by Cruise Ship" by Anne Vipond - maybe by looking at the book, he can narrow it down to what he wants.

I also think a great naturalist can definitely enhance a cruise. Unfortunately - difficult to know who you will have a year out.

I think she'll like it, too, but the biggest problem will be getting her on the ship! She doesn't even like looking at "cold" scenery, since she says it makes her feel cold. She's still trying to get out of it by saying that she'll send my dad with me on this one and then make me take her on a warm trip, lol.

Where do your parents live? There are so many ways to dress to stay warm and dry that even I can tolerate cold weather ;) :eek: :)