Help with cabin selection on Pacific

Murphey

We are seriously looking at a Panama cruise on the Pacific next spring. We were on this ship when it was part of Renaissance oh, so many years ago. At that time we experienced the coziness of the 3rd deck and it's adorable porthole. But, it was for 52 days so we thought we were in hog heaven to be doing it!!! We have now graduated to higher categories and need advice. We could either book 7116 or 7121 ( both true aft), or move up to a mini.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Edited by Murphey

We are seriously looking at a Panama cruise on the Pacific next spring. We were on this ship when it was part of Renaissance oh, so many years ago. At that time we experienced the coziness of the 3rd deck and it's adorable porthole. But, it was for 52 days so we thought we were in hog heaven to be doing it!!! We have now graduated to higher categories and need advice. We could either book 7116 or 7121 ( both true aft), or move up to a mini.

The mini's a wonderful on this little ship. Their configuration is more square than the mini's on the larger ships so they feel larger. the biggest drawback is that the minis are directly below some of the noisiest public areas so if you are a light sleeper they may not be for you. The balcony cabins are a bit smaller than the balconies on the larger Princess ships. However, balconies on the aft facing cabins are large but they are cut into the haul so you don't really have much of an ocean view unless standing at the rail. I prefer the mini suites but I always take ear plugs to cut out noise while I'm sleeping.

Thank you for the info. I remember the mini's from being invited in by fellow passengers!! ;) I have no recollection of any of the aft balconies and thank you for the info about being cut from the hull. It also wouldn't have occurred to me about the noise from above. You have been very helpful.

Edited by Murphey

Love the mini suites on PP, but then even the balconies have a sofa, worst thing Princess ever did getting rid of them on most of the other ships.

Love the mini suites on PP, but then even the balconies have a sofa, worst thing Princess ever did getting rid of them on most of the other ships.

There are a few cabins on the Pacific Princess which don't have sofas. These cabins have connecting doors to the adjoining cabins. A sofa would block the door, so it's replaced with an upholstered chair. 8024 is an example of one of these cabins.

Right. And even interior cabins on PP have a sofa.

Not the one I had...:( Ours just had a chair and it didn't have a connecting door. Plus we got moved to an OV due to cabin problems and it only had a chair. The OV was one of the cabins that are reserved for entertainers.

Edited by JF - retired RRT

I only go back on Princess 25 years or so but I don't remember Princess cabins below mini-suite that had sofas. The Pacific and sister ships were built for Renaissance. Which ships "got rid of" sofas? I don't remember any. Granted, the original Royal had twin beds that converted from settees to beds. Did you mean the original Royal?

Not the one I had...:( Ours just had a chair and it didn't have a connecting door. Plus we got moved to an OV due to cabin problems and it only had a chair. The OV was one of the cabins that are reserved for entertainers.

Our mid ship interior cabin on deck 8 had a sofa:)

I have one more day to make up my mind! The mini is about $45/day more. I wish I could see a photo of the aft balcony. There are quite a few sea days, so maybe the mini would be nice, but we don't normally splurge for them, pretty happy with a Caribe balcony. I do know the reg. balconies are quite small.

I only go back on Princess 25 years or so but I don't remember Princess cabins below mini-suite that had sofas. The Pacific and sister ships were built for Renaissance. Which ships "got rid of" sofas? I don't remember any. Granted, the original Royal had twin beds that converted from settees to beds. Did you mean the original Royal?

Ok I must be wrong. For many years Oacific was the only ship we had here and I was told they all had sofas in the balconies at that time, must have been told wrong

I have one more day to make up my mind! The mini is about $45/day more. I wish I could see a photo of the aft balcony. There are quite a few sea days, so maybe the mini would be nice, but we don't normally splurge for them, pretty happy with a Caribe balcony. I do know the reg. balconies are quite small.

Don't think Pacific has any extended balconies.

• 3 months later...
The mini's a wonderful on this little ship. Their configuration is more square than the mini's on the larger ships so they feel larger. the biggest drawback is that the minis are directly below some of the noisiest public areas so if you are a light sleeper they may not be for you. The balcony cabins are a bit smaller than the balconies on the larger Princess ships. However, balconies on the aft facing cabins are large but they are cut into the haul so you don't really have much of an ocean view unless standing at the rail. I prefer the mini suites but I always take ear plugs to cut out noise while I'm sleeping.

Help !! Booking a mini-suite and trying to avoid noise from above. I'm looking at 8048, 8050, 8051 and 8053. These seem to be below the entrance to the Panorama Buffet, but not directly under the busiest area. Would these cabins be less noisy than those mid-ship and directly under the pool area? Any downsides to these mini-suites? Also, you say the "aft facing cabins are vut into the hull ...". Are you speaking about 8066 and 8069 ?

Murphey,

We have been on the Ocean Princess and have taken several Azamara cruises (which are also the old "R" class ships). We have had Mini's on Deck 8 every time and always mid-ship. I can honestly say that we did not experience any deck noise from above on any of our cruises. No chair dragging or anything else and I'm a pretty light sleeper. In fact, we recently put FCC's down on another mid-ship Mini on Deck 8 for the PP in 2018.

Maybe there are some Cabin Reviews here on CC that you could check?

Hope this helps.

We sailed in 7121 and I've been searching for a picture for you.

We love the aft view and listening to the wake.

I think going through the Panama Canal might be really special with your own private aft view.

I'll keep searching for that picture.

Murphey,

We have been on the Ocean Princess and have taken several Azamara cruises (which are also the old "R" class ships). We have had Mini's on Deck 8 every time and always mid-ship. I can honestly say that we did not experience any deck noise from above on any of our cruises. No chair dragging or anything else and I'm a pretty light sleeper. In fact, we recently put FCC's down on another mid-ship Mini on Deck 8 for the PP in 2018.

Maybe there are some Cabin Reviews here on CC that you could check?

Hope this helps.

Has anyone else had a mini-suite mid-deck 8 on this ship and can confirm there is no noise day or night from the sports deck above? It seems to be a big problem on every other ship which makes me hesitant about that location on this ship.

Edited by JimC

Has anyone else had a mini-suite mid-deck 8 on this ship and can confirm there is no noise day or night from the sports deck above? It seems to be a big problem on every other ship.

Another trip on the then Tahitian we sailed in a mini on Deck 8 under the entrance to the pool area and there was definitely some noise in the early morning when stewards were re-arranging the deck chairs.

If I remember correctly the buffet area is carpeted so that might eliminate the noise there.

Edited by chamima