Weather and temperature in October

kcherie924

I am doing a Budapest to Amsterdam cruise starting October 5th and was wondering how to dress. Would a heavy jacket and gloves be necessary? Rain poncho? Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks Karen

I would definitely check temps prior to travel dates for the most current info.

That being said, for that area and those dates, I would pack clothes that can be layered (cami, half zip tops, etc); wear a waterproof mid thigh length jacket with zip out lining; pack a travel umbrella; bring gloves and a hat, as I get cold easily.

We are headed there in late October and I will pack similarly. Cords and leggings are my preference for fall and I will wear my comfortable and supportive Naot ankle boots for my daytime footwear as they are great on cobblestones and for lots of miles of walking.

I always pack an extra pair of good walking shoes in addition as that makes my feet happy.:)

Edited by caviargal

Depending on which cruise line you will be travelling with you might be able to leave your umbrella at home. Many of the lines provide umbrellas. That being said, if you have rain gear (L.L. Bean has hooded, knee length, waterproof, very lightweight) you can forget about carrying an umbrella altogether, leaving both hands free.

RB

I have gotten very frustrated trying to suss out long-range forecasts for my trips, so now I go to the Weather Underground historical weather feature (https://www.wunderground.com/history/) and make a list of average high and low and record high for each date of my trip. Given that temps lately have been tending high, somewhere between the average and record has worked pretty well.

That being said, for that area and those dates, I would pack clothes that can be layered (cami, half zip tops, etc); wear a waterproof mid thigh length jacket with zip out lining; pack a travel umbrella; bring gloves and a hat, as I get cold easily.

We are headed there in late October and I will pack similarly. Cords and leggings are my preference for fall and I will wear my comfortable and supportive Naot ankle boots for my daytime footwear as they are great on cobblestones and for lots of miles of walking.

I always pack an extra pair of good walking shoes in addition as that makes my feet happy.:)

Caviargal would love to know which ankle boot you like as I am a true believer in my Naot's but haven't tried the boots. I have Luga order but haven't got it yet it is a mary jane type. Another tip I like traveling in the fall if living in the states are Smart Socks. They keep your feet warm but not heavy and also keep them dry. It is all the packing prep work.

I have gotten very frustrated trying to suss out long-range forecasts for my trips, so now I go to the Weather Underground historical weather feature

(https://www.wunderground.com/history/)

and make a list of average high and low and record high for each date of my trip. Given that temps lately have been tending high, somewhere between the average and record has worked pretty well.

Best advice ever. Anyone that posts without factual data will give what they "remember" from their last trip. And of course,the weather changes often.

Go to the above page and look at the monthly forecast. Then start watching it as you get close to your trip. You could easily see a 20-30 degree variance. Note they show a forecast and history page.

Edited by garycarla

Caviargal would love to know which ankle boot you like as I am a true believer in my Naot's but haven't tried the boots. I have Luga order but haven't got it yet it is a mary jane type. Another tip I like traveling in the fall if living in the states are Smart Socks. They keep your feet warm but not heavy and also keep them dry. It is all the packing prep work.

I love SmartWool socks, if that is what you are speaking of. Worth the cost.

My boots are Naot Chi: http://http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-chi-black-madras-leather-black-suede

For evenings, I like a boot with a heel and pack my Aquitalia booties. Love those, too!

Depending on which cruise line you will be travelling with you might be able to leave your umbrella at home. Many of the lines provide umbrellas. That being said, if you have rain gear (L.L. Bean has hooded, knee length, waterproof, very lightweight) you can forget about carrying an umbrella altogether, leaving both hands free.

RB

While this is true, these are generally full size umbrellas and for me, too cumbersome to carry around all day in case of rain. I take my Totes travel umbrella and it fits easily into my day bag.

I love SmartWool socks, if that is what you are speaking of. Worth the cost.

My boots are Naot Chi: http://http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-chi-black-madras-leather-black-suede

For evenings, I like a boot with a heel and pack my Aquitalia booties. Love those, too!

I was looking at a new pair called Helm so thought I would try that one. Comes in Black also. Yes I was talking about the Smart Wool socks, sorry I for got the Wool part but when in Scotland they came in handy. Great to share these travel tips.

I am 55 days or so before departing on my first river cruise and I am obsessing about what to pack. I live in Florida, too, so as you know my wardrobe does not involve a lot of warm clothing.

Leggings are acceptable daywear, for touring? What about evenings onboard? Ocean cruising has been my experience so far, so I am at a loss on what to wear on a river cruise.

Any advice is appreciated.

Leggings alone won't be warm enough, but good with a skirt or really long jacket. I wear corduroy pants, no leggings, don't feel dressed in them.

You definitely need rain gear and an umbrella if you plan to take photos in the rain. I held the umbrella over my husband in the rain and vice versa. I wear gloves only if it is really cold, no hat but a long warm scarf under the jacket's hood in cold, windy weather. Scarf can be pulled over the ears.

I am 55 days or so before departing on my first river cruise and I am obsessing about what to pack. ...

1 - Look at the link above and see the 2 month forecast. Assume that is accurate for now.

2 - Once you are inside a few weeks, look at the updated forecast, and plan on that.

3 - A few days before you leave, check the CURRENT forecast and adjust.

4 - No matter what the weather, in the Tropics, Alaska or Europe, the temps on the ship are just about the same. You only need to adjust for outside weather.

It will not be snowing. It will not be beach weather. Layers are often the answer.

I love SmartWool socks, if that is what you are speaking of.

I wear SmartWool socks year round. They actually wick well in heat and are far superior to cotton socks. However, my favorites were the lightly padded walking socks and they seem to have disappeared. There are a lot of lifestyle socks that just don't do it for me.

That is an awkward time for weather predictions as you can have 25 degrees on nice days and rain and 10 degrees on cold mornings. Added to that you might get the first nasty cool winds. Do not expect frost, but you could take some light gloves if you are prone to getting cold fingers. Layers really is a great suggestion by the previous posters. I found this site quite good to read: http://www.accuweather.com/en/at/vienna/31868/weather-forecast/31868

I have put in Vienna for you as an example.

notamermaid

I am 55 days or so before departing on my first river cruise and I am obsessing about what to pack. I live in Florida, too, so as you know my wardrobe does not involve a lot of warm clothing.

Leggings are acceptable daywear, for touring? What about evenings onboard? Ocean cruising has been my experience so far, so I am at a loss on what to wear on a river cruise.

Any advice is appreciated.

For daytime I wear leggings tucked into my knee high boots. (I have never worn them under a dress personally). Mine are a substantial weight ponte knit and warm enough for me in the 40s -50s.

Not sure what line you are cruising with as some are apparently more casual than others. For my cruise next month, I will pack a pair of tailored black trousers to wear in the evenings with a variety of tops and sweaters. I will also bring a pair or two of dressier leggings that I wear with longer sweaters. I like dresses and normally pack a black sweater dress I can dress up or down with accessories. I will wear this to the specialty dining venue aboard (AMA) and one of the Captain's cocktail parties. I pack a lot of knits and jersey for evenings (Eva Varro, Sympli are two brands I travel with) as they pack well and do not add weight.

gnome, I purchased their padded walking socks on Sierra Trading Post not too long away and like them as well.

gnome, I purchased their padded walking socks on Sierra Trading Post not too long away and like them as well.

Thanks. I took a look and maybe the light hiking will do. They aren't exactly what I have but they might do. Also the PhD socks.