Is this the norm now in the spa?

cruiseonthebrain

I am used to spa staff trying to sell products after a spa service. I don't love the high pressure sale tactics after a relaxing massage but I can deal with it.

But on our cruise last week, I booked a 75 minute treatment. The therapist spent the first 20 minutes talking about digestive and lymphatic systems and vitamin deficiencies. I just wanted the massage- I have my own doctor at home and, frankly, did not need the medical lecture about body systems that were not an issue for me.

In any case, is it the new norm for the therapists on Carnival to use so much of the "treatment time" talking to you and drawing and writing on a piece of paper to show you what most people faced as health problems? I was really expecting an actual 75 minute treatment.

Why did you just sit there and listen to the therapist??

I would have said , I came here for a massage .Please start. You are not a prisoner!

You are paying for a service and you are entitled to get what you have booked.

I don't listen to sales pitches about products and I wouldn't stand for a 20 min. lecture either!!

Wow! That wasted precious time away from your massage.

ANd as pricey as they are, I would have been upset.

Do they add the gratuities into the price of the massage now or do you

still add tips when you sign the bill at the end of the massage?

Wow! That wasted precious time away from your massage.

ANd as pricey as they are' date=' I would have been upset.

Do they add the gratuities into the price of the massage now or do you

still add tips when you sign the bill at the end of the massage?[/quote']

Gratuity was automatically included.

I feel like an idiot- and now I am starting to get a little cranky over this.

Just today had spa treatment on Conquest. Yes gratituty is automatically added. She asked if I was interested in any products. I politely said no and that was the end of it. I was very satisfied with how it was handled

sorry to say Carnival massages are ridiculously priced compared to the U.S. $115 for 55 minutes is absurd for what I would call a body rub. Massages in Colorado run about $60 for a full hour of deep tissue massage. We always get the Cloud 9 Spa when available, but I would never get a massage on the ship ever again. I can wait a week or get an island massage. I had a great beach massage in Coco Maya for about $40 an hour.

I am used to spa staff trying to sell products after a spa service. I don't love the high pressure sale tactics after a relaxing massage but I can deal with it.

But on our cruise last week, I booked a 75 minute treatment. The therapist spent the first 20 minutes talking about digestive and lymphatic systems and vitamin deficiencies. I just wanted the massage- I have my own doctor at home and, frankly, did not need the medical lecture about body systems that were not an issue for me.

In any case, is it the new norm for the therapists on Carnival to use so much of the "treatment time" talking to you and drawing and writing on a piece of paper to show you what most people faced as health problems? I was really expecting an actual 75 minute treatment.

That's was my experience in December of last year on the Inspiration, except the lecture and hard sell came at the end of my massage treatment. It was my first visit to a ship spa ever...a port day special. After I left, the more I thought about it, the more upset I got. If I ever go back, I will never allow someone to do that to me again. So sorry this happened to you too.

I had a mani pedi on my last cruise, and while the manicurist did try to sell me something, she wasn't overly pushy at all. Perhaps because I flat out told her that since I was spending $145 on a mani pedi, I couldn't afford anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I feel like an idiot- and now I am starting to get a little cranky over this

You should complain to Carnival, however be prepared for them to avoid responsibility - apparently the Cloud 9 Spa is a separate company and they like to play hot potato with customer complaints. I was told by the Spa Manager that Cloud 9 does not respond to complaints so try Carnival. I don't know if they'd do anything to make it right but this business partner of theirs is damaging their reputation. Someone on my last cruise had a pre-booked treatment, they moved the time on her 3 times, didn't give her what she wanted or paid for, and the entire time was a high-pressure sales pitch. I'm still waiting to hear back from Carnival about the complaint, it's been over a week. On the ship Guest Services kept blaming Cloud 9 and Cloud 9 kept blaming Carnival. It's crazy that Cloud 9 is a different company yet wears Carnival nametags.

wow! Thank you all for sharing your experiences about Cloud 9. I have never had any services on any cruise. I was thinking about it for my next cruise on Sunshine since we reserved a spa cabin. I think I won't now.

I'm told the area of the spa where you just get access to it and do your own thing is pretty good - but as my travelling companion said of the services: "It's like a timeshare presentation but without the free stuff"

wow! Thank you all for sharing your experiences about Cloud 9. I have never had any services on any cruise. I was thinking about it for my next cruise on Sunshine since we reserved a spa cabin. I think I won't now.

I wouldn't let this necessarily spook you off. If you tell them you are just there for the treatment, and are not interested in the other products or services, they are normally very respectful of your request.