Voom Question For Verizon Users

Dina7

I want to get the basic Voom Surf Pkg. ahead of time for $9.09 a day, so I can text with my kids back home, but do you need to add some kind of International Calling Plan from Verizon Wireless in order for this to work?

I feel clueless, lol.

Thanks!

Dina

If your phone can do WiFI Calling (ask Verizon), then you can use all functions over the ship's WiFi and don't need any additional plans from Verizon.

If your phone cannot do WiFi Calling, then you would need to use an internet based texting app, such as WhatsApp, iMessage, FB Messenger, etc. No additional plan needed from Verizon.

If your phone can do WiFI Calling (ask Verizon), then you can use all functions over the ship's WiFi and don't need any additional plans from Verizon.

If your phone cannot do WiFi Calling, then you would need to use an internet based texting app, such as WhatsApp, iMessage, FB Messenger, etc. No additional plan needed from Verizon.

Thanks, I don't know if my phone can do WIFI calling, but I have an IPhone and do have the fb Messenger app. So maybe I will just use that. Hmm

Thanks, I don't know if my phone can do WIFI calling, but I have an IPhone and do have the fb Messenger app. So maybe I will just use that. Hmm

Verizon does offer wifi calling now but make sure you set it up before you sail. You have to put in an emergency address and lots of screens come up that you have to go through. I just did it on Anthem, wished I had done it before I left. It was just really picky about the address, it wouldn't take my address unless it was typed in all caps.:rolleyes:

You will be able to text home and do not need a Verizon international plan if you buy Voom. Just turn on airplane mode and wifi and you will be all set. I also did confirm that my data roaming was off so if my phone came out of airplane mode for some bizarre reason, I wouldn't incur terrible data charges.

edit to add: wifi calling is only for iphone 6 and up on Verizon.

Edited by reallyitsmema

Verizon does offer wifi calling now but make sure you set it up before you sail. You have to put in an emergency address and lots of screens come up that you have to go through. I just did it on Anthem, wished I had done it before I left. It was just really picky about the address, it wouldn't take my address unless it was typed in all caps.:rolleyes:

You will be able to text home and do not need a Verizon international plan if you buy Voom. Just turn on airplane mode and wifi and you will be all set. I also did confirm that my data roaming was off so if my phone came out of airplane mode for some bizarre reason, I wouldn't incur terrible data charges.

What address did you put in for when you are on the ship?

I don't have an iphone and wifi calling is available.

Also if you phone is able to use WiFi calling you can make and receive calls for free as long as you are only on WiFi.

Not sure about iPhone but was I able to make and receive calls with my Galaxy S7 using only WiFi while on board

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tony O

How do I confirm that data roaming is off?

If you have an iPhone and your kids have iPhones you will be able to text them via WiFi using iMessage. No additional plan needed from Verizon.

This is important: iMessage between iPhones works over WiFi. Text messaging (SMS) to/from non-iPhones does NOT.

Last cruise, one son with an iPhone, the other with an Android. We could connect with one but had to pay text message charges to connect with the other. Should have thought about FB messenger, that would have worked.

I want to get the basic Voom Surf Pkg. ahead of time for $9.09 a day, so I can text with my kids back home, but do you need to add some kind of International Calling Plan from Verizon Wireless in order for this to work?

I feel clueless, lol.

Thanks!

Dina

If all you want to do is text to back home you don't need any packages from rci or Verizon. Texting is .50 out and .05 in. So you could text home 4 times a day and receive 4 text for 2.20$ For example. You just need international calling on your phone from Verizon, no charge and turn data roaming off in settings